PDA

View Full Version : Spraying CG before seeding with fescue this fall. Thoughts?

Ijustwantausername
08-27-2012, 12:15 AM
I have a good customer that wants me to spray for all their weeds, then go in and overseed their yard this fall. The yard mainly has crabgrass and clover so I was planning on hitting it with Q4 - I'll have to look at the label for the time period on seeding after though.

Note: I do not treat their lawn, nor do they have it treated during the year, so yes it is full of CG, however they do have a decent stand of fescue.

My question:

Does it make sense to spray now that its getting closer to fall considering the CG will be dying out? Or should I convince them to not worry about spraying.

If you did recommend spraying, when would be best considering the scenario?

Thanks.

FerrisDiesel
09-03-2012, 01:51 PM
I actually had the same question, curious to see the responses you get.

RigglePLC
09-03-2012, 07:37 PM
Drive is excellent on clover and crabgrass. And it will not interfere with seeding.
http://www.cdms.net/LDat/ld8LD000.pdf

Speedzone has a seven day wait period before seeding.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
09-03-2012, 08:19 PM
I would let it die off on its own.
Posted via Mobile Device

charmill26
09-04-2012, 01:17 PM
Q4 has a 30 day period

corey4671
09-04-2012, 01:37 PM
Just my two cents here. Why bother with killing it off? It is going to die back on it's own. Seed it this fall then come back in the spring and apply pre-m. I'm not claiming to be an authority on it, but it just seems like a waste of time and the customers money to kill off something that is coming to an end of its cycle anyway.

v6rs97
09-04-2012, 02:50 PM
When does the crab die off?

lawns Etc
09-04-2012, 03:49 PM
First frost crab is dead, but I kill it off and start seeding now since you will have your seed pretty much established by that frost.

RigglePLC
09-04-2012, 04:12 PM
Best to seed 8 weeks before frost. Soil will still be warm for good germination.

RAlmaroad
09-04-2012, 05:45 PM
Killing now or waiting is tied to the growing season. Should the temps prolong the first frost then killing with Drive would PREVENT seeds from falling OR just mowing more frequently to prevent the seeds from developing is yet another option. We have a little crab break through and mowing and pulling is a better option than stressing the lawn with a herbicide especially if the lawn is not irrigated.

cemars
09-04-2012, 08:28 PM
I would let it die off on its own.
Posted via Mobile Device

The crab will die with a good frost but not the clover, however if either is heavy they will reduce seeding results and pre-treating with Quinclorac is advisable.

lawn2012start
09-06-2012, 08:29 PM
I also had the same question I am glad I didnt waste a post.

my crabgrass and weeds already popped up with the stem that has the seeds on it. (sorry dont know the correct term) but I cut them all off.

I was wondering if I should spray now or wait until spring.

RigglePLC
09-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Difficult situation. Difficult experiment to do. But...I am trying.
I seeded three 2 ft by 2 ft areas which had heavy crabgrass.
One with one ounce of seed--no other preparation. Blue,rye,fine fescue mixture. One with three ounces of seed. and one with one ounce of seed sown just before aeration with a soil probe at 3 inch intervals.
One ounce of seed on 4 sqft is about 16 pounds per thousand sqft.
Site is low-quality, non-irrigated, sandy soil, thin turf. Began Sept 6. . Temp 84/night 55.

EJK2352
09-08-2012, 11:17 PM
I just slit seeded a lawn two weeks ago. They were a customer of mine for 10 years. They just moved in to a new house in July. They called me to come see what I could do for the lawn. This lawn was hammered !!! Full of broadleafs, Crabgrass and dead bent. I hit it with Tenacity, aerated and slit-seeded the same day. I stopped by today to have a look and was impressed with the results. One thing you need to tell the customer about is the White Death from the Tenacity, it's like nothing they probably have ever seen.

TJLANDS
09-09-2012, 08:10 PM
I have always gone on the premise that Once you get three consecutive nights in the low 50s crabgrass stops growing.
That is our signal to start seeding.
We do not spray any grassy weeds in Sept, exception would be a lawn with some spotty nutsedge. Spraying crab, in my opinion, would be a waste of money, and time.

ron mexico75
09-14-2012, 11:58 AM
I just slit seeded a lawn two weeks ago. They were a customer of mine for 10 years. They just moved in to a new house in July. They called me to come see what I could do for the lawn. This lawn was hammered !!! Full of broadleafs, Crabgrass and dead bent. I hit it with Tenacity, aerated and slit-seeded the same day. I stopped by today to have a look and was impressed with the results. One thing you need to tell the customer about is the White Death from the Tenacity, it's like nothing they probably have ever seen.

I wish you had some before and after pics. I always enjoy looking at the differences.

Also, if the entire area was infested, is there a reason you didn't spray gly instead?