PDA

View Full Version : Do these juniper need spraying?

Ijustwantausername
08-27-2012, 12:27 AM
Or can someone move this post to a section that can tell me.

I planted these for a lady this spring, she had me over the other day for more work so I took a picture of them. I was told it could be spider mites or damp/humid conditions. I planted about 13 and these are the worst 2, the others just have a touch of brown here and there. Any advice?

RigglePLC
08-27-2012, 05:41 PM
Junipers are famous for getting Phomopsis fungus disease--especially if irrigated in warm humid weather. Scattered brown branch tips.
http://urbanext.illinois.edu/hortanswers/detailproblem.cfm?PathogenID=14

Not sure if that is the problem. You could spray them of course, but they will recover somewhat slowly as the weather cools off. The dead parts will remain of course.

turfmd101
08-28-2012, 05:52 AM
Or can someone move this post to a section that can tell me.

I planted these for a lady this spring, she had me over the other day for more work so I took a picture of them. I was told it could be spider mites or damp/humid conditions. I planted about 13 and these are the worst 2, the others just have a touch of brown here and there. Any advice?

Most evergreens prefer no mulch, especially the dwarf variety you have chosen. Treatment will cost you more than replacement cost. That's not effective! . Pulling the mulch away from the base so it can breathe and dry out will produce best results. Sounds like you need to start soon. The others are following suit. There may have been to much h2o for proper establishment. Pull on them, if they come out easy. Don't replace them back in the hole until you put generous portions of milorginite in the hole. Then reinstall. Top dress (more) milorginite. Make sure mulch is off base of plants.That last sentence is your primary issue. By the way. Brown will not return green. Should remove brown to minimize fungus spore foliage transfer. This is the norm for this variety. Water and temperature will dictate recovery time, (dry over wet & warm over cool). Also you planted 13, not good chi.
Posted via Mobile Device