PDA

View Full Version : Best product for fescue clean up prior to seeding

grassmasterswilson
08-27-2012, 08:40 AM
I usually like to clean up my fescue prior to seeding. Because of weather and being backed up I can no longer use a q4 or Quincept product because of the 30 day wait til seeding.

Any ideas what else would work? May just use 3way and wait the 7 days. Our temps have really cooled off here an we are getting good rain. I may get to seeding a lot earlier than originally planned.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ijustwantausername
08-27-2012, 08:56 AM
I usually like to clean up my fescue prior to seeding. Because of weather and being backed up I can no longer use a q4 or Quincept product because of the 30 day wait til seeding.

Any ideas what else would work? May just use 3way and wait the 7 days. Our temps have really cooled off here an we are getting good rain. I may get to seeding a lot earlier than originally planned.
Posted via Mobile Device

Subscribed

Grassmasters, wouldn't it be fine to wait 30 days as its only the first of September? When do you normally seed? What 3-way are you going to use?

vaacutabove
08-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Speedzone not sure what your trying to kill but its a great broadleaf with im pretty sure 7 day seed time.
Posted via Mobile Device

RigglePLC
08-27-2012, 02:42 PM
I am not sure I understand this.
On the Drive XLR-8 label it says you can use Drive before seed--and in fine print indicates you should allow 7 days before seeding.
I could not find any reference to using the product BEFORE seeding for Quincept
http://tirmsdev.com/Nufarm-Turf-amp-Specialty-Quincept-Herbicide-p28704, but allow 3rd mowing AFTER seeding for Quincept use.
Drive seems to indicate that fine fescue is the most sensitive of the common types of grass.

grassmasterswilson
08-27-2012, 05:17 PM
I am not sure I understand this.
On the Drive XLR-8 label it says you can use Drive before seed--and in fine print indicates you should allow 7 days before seeding.
I could not find any reference to using the product BEFORE seeding for Quincept
http://tirmsdev.com/Nufarm-Turf-amp-Specialty-Quincept-Herbicide-p28704, but allow 3rd mowing AFTER seeding for Quincept use.
Drive seems to indicate that fine fescue is the most sensitive of the common types of grass.

I counldn't find anything on the quincept label either. It quinclorac + 24d + dicamba. So I'm guessing it would be similar to a drive + speedzone mix.

grassmasterswilson
08-27-2012, 05:19 PM
Subscribed

Grassmasters, wouldn't it be fine to wait 30 days as its only the first of September? When do you normally seed? What 3-way are you going to use?

I usually try to start scheduling seeding around mid september, but it depends on the temp. It has cooled off here as you know so maybe we can start seeding before October!! I normally use speedzone red label to clean up clover, chickweed, etc. The crabgrass is still there, but if you scalp the lawn it doesn't come back if the temps stay low.

TurfsUpLawns
08-27-2012, 07:36 PM

Posted via Mobile Device
I was talking to JDL the other day about this and they suggested Tenacity from Syngenta.

lawns Etc
08-28-2012, 12:50 AM
Plain drive will work well to seed in 7 days. Also: f you have other issues with different weeds you can seed 7 days after spraying glyso. I usually just so spray with gly.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reliable 1
08-28-2012, 08:17 PM
For some of my lawns, I intend to spray Tenacity and charge accordingly. On the others that I have more time to work with I intend to spray Q4 plus.....Q4 tends to be cheaper for me per application vs. Tenacity. We've been getting rain here in Southeast Va almost every day for the last 4. I will let you know which works best for my lawns

grassmasterswilson
08-29-2012, 06:56 AM
I think I'm gonna give quincept a go. I don't have much sedge pressure now. I spoke with the Nufarm rep and he says 2-3 week wait time but he thought you could go earlier if need be without a problem