PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of perennial ryegrass in spring

1999frontier
08-27-2012, 10:31 AM
I've always put out annual ryegrass for winter color in my backyard and now I'm going to seed my front yard too since I'm going to seed bermuda this coming up spring/early summer. I'm thinking about perennial ryegrass since it has a darker color, but I've read that it is a harder transition for the bermuda vs annual. I've read that perennial needs to be killed off chemically before the bermuda grass greens up. What kind of chemical will I need to use and can you get it without a license?

agrostis
08-27-2012, 09:08 PM
As a homeowner in NC you can put just about anything you want on your own lawn without a pesticide license. To get the most growth out of new bermuda planted in the spring you shouldn't overseed at all this winter, this could make the difference between success or failure for that bermuda. I know you want green to look at during the winter but you need to suck it up this year.

1999frontier
08-27-2012, 10:13 PM
I haven't seeded any bermuda this year, I've been seeding fescue but I figured since I'm going to seed bermuda next year, it would be best to seed perennial instead of fescue this fall like I've been doing. Can you buy something at a local nursery to get rid of the perennial ryegrass or I should probably just put gly on my whole front yard in April and then seed with bermuda.

agrostis
08-27-2012, 10:56 PM
I wasn't clear enough, i meant the bermuda you are going to seed in the spring of '13. Spraying the whole yard in April with glyphosate sound's like the way to go, bermuda seed's do best on bare ground.

grassmasterswilson
08-27-2012, 10:57 PM
Just spray it with roundup and take all the weeds out. You could spray it around the end of Febuary or first of march when Bermuda is still dormant
Posted via Mobile Device