PDA

View Full Version : Question on aerating

kirk1701
08-28-2012, 11:44 AM
Just got my first call back on an estimate.

What is the normal size plugs that are pulled? I was under the impression 3" deep and this was for 1" deep plugs.

ReddensLawnCare
08-28-2012, 11:47 AM
2-3 is normal here
Posted via Mobile Device

kirk1701
08-28-2012, 11:59 AM
I thought it was deeper then just 1"

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k292/abs724/Smilies%20Hut/thanks.gif

I still have one more guy coming tomorrow evening, providing he shows which seems to be common around here. The guy that just called with the estimate and 1" deep plugs said he was jsut here and uhhhhh, I'm home, no one was here?

RigglePLC
08-28-2012, 08:29 PM
Maybe he is just being honest, and his machine doesn't go real deep. If soil is a bit dry...penetration is poor. If not enough weight...pull behind drum-type...or not really wanting to go deep as in soil preparation for seeding mainly...penetration is not much.

If you are doing it to permit seed germination, two passes at one inch deep is probably better.

kirk1701
08-28-2012, 11:13 PM
Maybe he is just being honest, and his machine doesn't go real deep. If soil is a bit dry...penetration is poor. If not enough weight...pull behind drum-type...or not really wanting to go deep as in soil preparation for seeding mainly...penetration is not much.

If you are doing it to permit seed germination, two passes at one inch deep is probably better.

Doing it for both reasons Riggle, will be overseeding shortly after the areating and I want to losen the soil to insure better moisture absorption.

I have these guys coming tomorrow evening before I make a decision.
http://www.cutabovelawnbg.com/

Smallaxe
08-29-2012, 09:23 AM
I personally wouldn't bother with 1" plugs... it seems more harm than good... what is considered to be the purpose of 1" plugs???

never heard of such a thing...

maybe it is warm-season grasses thing... :)

kirk1701
08-29-2012, 09:29 AM
I personally wouldn't bother with 1" plugs... it seems more harm than good... what is considered to be the purpose of 1" plugs???

never heard of such a thing...

maybe it is warm-season grasses thing... :)

Thanks Smallaxe, I to thought something strange right away when the lady said 1" :confused:

See what the place I posed above says this evening then go back to the phone book.

Smallaxe
08-29-2012, 09:53 AM
Maybe you'd be further ahead with just the Liquid Aerator type stuff...
Why are you interested in aeration in the first place???

your turf doesn't seem to be suffering from any major malady...

kirk1701
08-29-2012, 10:07 AM
Maybe you'd be further ahead with just the Liquid Aerator type stuff...
Why are you interested in aeration in the first place???

your turf doesn't seem to be suffering from any major malady...

It's compacted bud, just looking to loosen the soil before I overseed this fall and hold more moisture

Smallaxe
08-29-2012, 05:03 PM
Good reason... unfortunately 1" plugs will do little to relieve compaction in the root zone where it's needed...

kirk1701
08-29-2012, 06:57 PM
Ok FINALLY!!!!!

Someone that kept their word, was on time and gave me an estimate with 3 inch plugs :drinkup:

I was really beginning to think there were none of you guys in my area with any respect.

Give me you all's opinion, measured 15,000 SQ FT and is going to make double pass pulling 3 inch plugs and cost $225. This sound about right?

Said he's out my way quit often and when the weather breaks and we have moisure in the ground just give him a heads up and can fit me into the schedule in 3 to 4 days.

I'm thinking second week of Sept as of now but if the weather don't change I can seen all the way up into November here with great results.

Also, said my lawn was in great health.

ReddensLawnCare
08-29-2012, 07:03 PM
That's high for around here but could be low in your market
Posted via Mobile Device

DirtRoad
08-29-2012, 07:07 PM
Just rent a plug aerator and do it yourself, average cost for rental is about $50 for a day.

Every tool rental place ive ever been to carries them, even home depot.

ReddensLawnCare
08-29-2012, 07:10 PM
Is he seeding at that price
Posted via Mobile Device

xtreem3d
08-29-2012, 07:22 PM
That's 15.00 per thousand sq ft...........we can't get that here

kirk1701
08-29-2012, 09:01 PM
Is he seeding at that price
Posted via Mobile Device

No seeding

That's 15.00 per thousand sq ft...........we can't get that here

Can't get that here are you saying cheaper or more expesive there?

xtreem3d
08-29-2012, 09:21 PM
that would be too much around here...going by what i know some guys are charging

kirk1701
08-29-2012, 09:27 PM
that would be too much around here...going by what i know some guys are charging

Kinda figured, the other estimate was $80 but only 1" plugs :hammerhead:

Last time I got it done it was $140 but wasn't what I wanted either and I wasn't home when it was done. 3 years back and it was aeigator I think was what it was called; drove spikes in the ground and vibrated the soil to loosen it. :confused:

I learned from that so this time I'm asking questions, plugs will be left on top of the ground so its definitely aerating

kirk1701
08-31-2012, 05:32 PM
Just got another estimate for $165 and he was talking something I haven't heard of before so wanted you guys input

He likes to put 200 Lbs of weight on the machine and pull at least 5" plugs this sound about right?

www.topcutlawnsbg.com

$165 is better then the last at $225 so I told him he had the job, has a property down the street scheduled for 2 weeks out so going to swing by here the same day.

Smallaxe
09-01-2012, 09:11 AM
Single pass vs. double pass???

kirk1701
09-01-2012, 10:38 AM
Single pass vs. double pass???

That was the one thing I didn't ask THANKS!!

Had to call the guy and find out, yes double pass and said thats the only way he did it.

Now, what about this weight on the machine?

Duekster
09-01-2012, 11:07 AM
That was the one thing I didn't ask THANKS!!

Had to call the guy and find out, yes double pass and said thats the only way he did it.

Now, what about this weight on the machine?

The weight just helps the tines go deeper. Most aerators have a method of increasing the weight.

kirk1701
09-01-2012, 11:09 AM
The weight just helps the tines go deeper. Most aerators have a method of increasing the weight.

Thanks Duekster

Exact Rototilling
09-01-2012, 11:16 AM
There is a debate between deeper plugs vs. Adequate plug depth. So yes....on a rolling tine machine more weight can produce deeper plugs.

Reciprocating aerators don't pull as deep of a plug but do pull considerably more of them in a single pass especially the Plugr 800 series and.the Ryan 28 reciprocating. Not sure about how the Ryan 28 delivers the plug in comparison to the Plugr.... but the plugrs tend to pop the plug further up in.the grass and this really help.the top dress.effect.when.hit with a mower. Hands down G6/G5 Oregon gators are the best.thus far in separating the dirt from OM. absolutely destroy the plugs. Just be sure to use a chute deflector.

I broke my own front window last year skipping the chute.deflector. :hammerhead:
Posted via Mobile Device

Smallaxe
09-01-2012, 01:09 PM
There is a debate between deeper plugs vs. Adequate plug depth. So yes....on a rolling tine machine more weight can produce deeper plugs.

Reciprocating aerators don't pull as deep of a plug but do pull considerably more of them in a single pass especially the Plugr 800 series and.the Ryan 28 reciprocating. Not sure about how the Ryan 28 delivers the plug in comparison to the Plugr.... but the plugrs tend to pop the plug further up in.the grass and this really help.the top dress.effect.when.hit with a mower. Hands down G6/G5 Oregon gators are the best.thus far in separating the dirt from OM. absolutely destroy the plugs. Just be sure to use a chute deflector.

I broke my own front window last year skipping the chute.deflector. :hammerhead:
Posted via Mobile Device

So are you saying that you do 1" plugs??? This strategy deals only with living thatch???

I've never heard of anyone doing 1" plugs, and I'm interestted in understanding,,, Why... :)

Exact Rototilling
09-02-2012, 01:23 PM
So are you saying that you do 1" plugs??? This strategy deals only with living thatch???

I've never heard of anyone doing 1" plugs, and I'm interestted in understanding,,, Why... :)
Plug depth on.Plugr 850 is.usally.
2"+ up 2.75" if condtions are right.
Posted via Mobile Device

kirk1701
09-10-2012, 12:00 PM
ALL RIGHT!!!

Top Cut called this morning, wanted to know if it was ok to come on out this morning.

Here now aerating :)

Smallaxe
09-10-2012, 07:20 PM
That's good... go out and look over the plugs and see if you can determine the thickness of the living thatch, soil texture and root thickness through the profile... hopefully at least 3" long... :)

kirk1701
09-10-2012, 11:10 PM
That's good... go out and look over the plugs and see if you can determine the thickness of the living thatch, soil texture and root thickness through the profile... hopefully at least 3" long... :)

I'll see if I can determine what your talking about tomorrow (dark now) but most of the plug's I seen were 2" but my guess is they broke in half coming out of the ground also. I seen some in the back where the soil is much more shall we say "wet" and "clay" that were 3 & 4" long.

I spread some seed tonight, expecting the dew to wash it deeper but no rain in sight.

I have some bare area's I'm waiting now to go get some compost with a neighbor to finish up then let mother nature do the rest.

unit28
09-11-2012, 06:47 AM
maybe I'm totally wrong ,
but I thought dew is {sticky} guttational water.

So, not only aerifieng the soil, opening it up will cause the soil to dry without watering.
The dew might be going to stay on top of the turf as well.

At this point, me personally, I'd be giving the turf light frequent watering to promote seed germination.

I've never depended on mother nature...she can be to cantankerous

Smallaxe
09-11-2012, 08:55 AM
maybe I'm totally wrong ,
but I thought dew is {sticky} guttational water.

So, not only aerifieng the soil, opening it up will cause the soil to dry without watering.
The dew might be going to stay on top of the turf as well.

At this point, me personally, I'd be giving the turf light frequent watering to promote seed germination.

I've never depended on mother nature...she can be to cantankerous

Dew occurs when the atmospheric temps drop low enough that the humidity condenses out of the air... that tempurature is called the "dew point"... guttation is water that actually exudes from the plant and the humidity is so high in the cool morning that the water doesn't evatorate as it normally might...

I don't worry too much about the aeration holes drying out and killing the grass this time of year in CentroWisco, but I can't speak to TN...

I seeded many areas that will sit until the time occurs naturally for it to germinate and grow, as we have areas where artificial irrigation is not feasible... it is generally fine and when it is not, I supplement with dormant seeding... :)

kirk1701
09-11-2012, 10:48 AM
Dew occurs when the atmospheric temps drop low enough that the humidity condenses out of the air... that tempurature is called the "dew point"... guttation is water that actually exudes from the plant and the humidity is so high in the cool morning that the water doesn't evatorate as it normally might...

I don't worry too much about the aeration holes drying out and killing the grass this time of year in CentroWisco, but I can't speak to TN...

I seeded many areas that will sit until the time occurs naturally for it to germinate and grow, as we have areas where artificial irrigation is not feasible... it is generally fine and when it is not, I supplement with dormant seeding... :)

Exactly, I'm not worried as much about the seed I just spread; my lawn is thick enough to do the job when mother nature says its time.

Now I have some area's I need to help it along but those I haven't got to yet.

Smallaxe I'll get a pic of the plus and thach in a little while, to my eye's it don't look bad just a thin layer on top of the plug but again I don't know what I'm looking for there.

kirk1701
09-11-2012, 05:19 PM
Here yu go smallaxe
Like I said, I don't know what I'm looking for but if its what I think, the amount of dead grass on top before you get to soil its about 1/8"

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/218063_3317975081652_1130075732_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/283116_3317975441661_1186363691_n.jpg

Smallaxe
09-12-2012, 09:15 AM
You're right,,, I can't see any real thatch either... then again I only see one root as well in the one plug... I'm assuming they are in there and when the plugs break apart you see how much you have in roots...
Looks like heavy soil and of one consistant color... no back layer of decomp near the top... Do you mulch mow or bag???

Good pictures and nice lawn... :)

kirk1701
09-12-2012, 09:59 AM
You're right,,, I can't see any real thatch either... then again I only see one root as well in the one plug... I'm assuming they are in there and when the plugs break apart you see how much you have in roots...
Looks like heavy soil and of one consistant color... no back layer of decomp near the top... Do you mulch mow or bag???

Good pictures and nice lawn... :)

Thanks
I watered the seed in good last night and with the great mid 80's weather were getting this should be up in a week or two.

Actually, I took the plugs from an area I landscaped and had to add 6" of topsoil there so thats why soil is one consistant color, but did compost a few years back and I mulch the clippings.

I think your seeing what I can't find either though, no real thatch?

kirk1701
09-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Funny
I get my yard aerated and neighbor up the street who uses chemlawn shows up today with a powerseeder :laugh:

Chemlawn uses the cheapest seed I've ever seen

kirk1701
10-08-2012, 04:58 PM
Looking absolutely amazing guys. New seed is coming in nice with the aerating now.
Can't wait to see how thick it comes back in the spring :weightlifter:

Think I am going to go back to a slow release fert in the spring though. Staying away from the N might have helped a little to control fungus but without the fungicide treatments I would still have gotten the brown patch.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/190380_3401260123726_2123870990_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/398256_3401260643739_1418771058_n.jpg

superintendent
10-08-2012, 11:37 PM
whats the name of the fescue you use

kirk1701
10-09-2012, 10:20 AM
whats the name of the fescue you use

I'm using the inferno for the last two seasons but I tested another brand in a small area in the back last fall made up of this AST1001, 1002 and 1003 by allied seed.

http://www.alliedseed.com/products/Turf_Tall_Fescue/ast7001.php

Did real well with disease and drought. I never treated it nor watered it this summer and liked the results.

I still used the inferno this year but testing the allied seed in other places in my main front yard to see how well it does next season like on the bank that dries out and constantly needs water and along the edges of the driveway that dies due to the heat of the pavement.

suzook
10-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Your lawn looks like it recovered well from the summer heat/drought. My opinion is fescue may be the best at recovery. Seems like it always come back in the fall.