PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on best fix and rough price

SpudsM15
08-28-2012, 03:07 PM
I'll be submitting a bid on repair of this raised patio. All the stairs need to be rebuilt and the raised section needs some work.
My estimate is to PW all stones and rebuild most of the wall since one side sank nearly 8" from some drainage issues. Customer thinks its because the house was new construction. I'm betting it was their gutters were clogged and the water kept washing out the base on both corners... there really isn't a spceific grade currently.
After rebuilding the wall I'll reset the whole top patio graded to a drain up top that will run to street. Rebuild all stairs and do a polysand to finish off.
I'm coming in with a rough bid of about $3750.

meets1
08-28-2012, 06:27 PM
Not enough $$$$. I just did a job like this but not as severe. That's where I was at. Seems to me every time this work is redone things never work or fit exactly how they were placed. Of caps are glued and if that glue is good peeling caps off will take some time. If you got the job build more $$ into the job or tell owner this is rough estimate due to the nature of the job once I tear things done and see what the under laying problem is. Good luck.

SpudsM15
08-28-2012, 06:34 PM
Yea, they are glued but all the bonds have been broken so atleast that won't be a worry of breaking any peices. Figured I'm low on the wall rebuild portion of my bid. Thinking of adding another grand onto the bid for the just incase factor. I'm considering digging around a bit and actually see what kinda base was put in. The job was done by a large company about 7 or 8 years ago. Knowing the company I'm slightly worried as to what I'd find.

AztlanLC
08-28-2012, 06:43 PM
I'm sorry if you have no idea how much to price maybe and just maybe you don't really know how to fix it.
I see many many issues that are wrong with that patio, like pavers against siding.
I'm actually more inclined to your customer reasoning, as well as poor base compaction, but until you start digging you will know more, price can range from 4 to 10k or more after you dismantle the whole project

Red Shed Landscaping
08-28-2012, 06:57 PM
I would say it would cost closer to 5k at the low end. You might not be able to get all the pieces to fit back together and need to buy more if you can find the same thing and matching the weathered ones you have now.

xtreem3d
08-28-2012, 06:59 PM
how long have you estimated it will take to disassemble and re-assemble?

Red Shed Landscaping
08-28-2012, 07:00 PM
Also the design of the raised patio could be approved upon. The steps are pretty small and would be hard to step on the one coming off the raised patio.

scagrider22
08-28-2012, 07:01 PM
This is why Joe Blows Lawn Care needs to stick to cutting grass!

alexschultz1
08-28-2012, 07:29 PM
Could it be possible that water was running in between the pavers and siding to cause it to sink?

zedosix
08-28-2012, 10:05 PM
You might be surprised as too what you will find under that, to me it looks like diferential settleing, something like a concrete step is still under there. Many guys will try to hide all kinds of $%$% under raised patios. Bid this one by the hour, thats what I do, I'd put that one at around 6grand. Btw, too me that was done crappy anyway so count on changing the cuts and pattern anyway, it was terrible to start with.

ztman
08-28-2012, 10:13 PM
where does the down spout discharge

SpudsM15
08-29-2012, 07:28 AM
This house was a new construction at the time of install, so unlikely to find a actual step but maybe construction debris. There is no down spout discharge, it is run to the street on the corner that sunk the worst, idk if that was there when the patio was originally put in though. This is exactly why I posted this on here to get some help. This is my first season working with hardscapes taking it slow and doing stuff the right way. I wasn't to sure what to do about the pavers up on the siding as most of the patio is right up to the siding except for the stairs which goes above. Considering getting a customer of mine who is a carpenter out to move the siding up and prep the wall. I figured to remove the pavers and place neatly and organized me and another guy 10hours, after prep work is done 10-16hours to put the puzzle back together. I asked about just doing new pavers but she doesn't want to mix up the stuff.

mrusk
08-29-2012, 09:51 AM
Am i the only one who feels it should be 100% disassembled and be put back together as a completly new installation?

ztman
08-29-2012, 11:20 AM
Am i the only one who feels it should be 100% disassembled and be put back together as a completly new installation?

No doubt the optimal solution would be to disassemble and start from scratch. Make sure water directed well away from foundation, proper compacted baset etc. The problem with bidding this job is going to be what you cant see.

GroundOneMN
08-29-2012, 04:38 PM
With reading your little paragraph about the project I would do two things, propose a total rip out and removal, or walk away. Why, because if you apply your "band-aid" fix to the steps and pavers, and it settles again. Guess who will be "on the hook" or the homeowner ask to warranty?

I can see a theroy that it was caused by an overdig, just the settling that is evident, however I would image the fill was excess dirt and debris.

Even if you were to repair the trouble some spots, your going to rip up the majority of the patio and steps. Either do it right, or wait till doing it right is finacially possible.

These photos are prime examples of un-experienced and low balling so called landscapers end up with. Bad landscaping costs just as much if not more than thoughtfully designed, and precise installations do. In the end this homeowner will spend double what they would of originally..................:hammerhead:

ztman
08-29-2012, 05:01 PM
With reading your little paragraph about the project I would do two things, propose a total rip out and removal, or walk away. Why, because if you apply your "band-aid" fix to the steps and pavers, and it settles again. Guess who will be "on the hook" or the homeowner ask to warranty?

I can see a theroy that it was caused by an overdig, just the settling that is evident, however I would image the fill was excess dirt and debris.

Even if you were to repair the trouble some spots, your going to rip up the majority of the patio and steps. Either do it right, or wait till doing it right is finacially possible.

These photos are prime examples of un-experienced and low balling so called landscapers end up with. Bad landscaping costs just as much if not more than thoughtfully designed, and precise installations do. In the end this homeowner will spend double what they would of originally..................:hammerhead:

Couldn't agree more, rip out or walk away. Lowest price is not always the cheapest. In fact , I am watching a cheap roofing job out my office window. Owners are not home to watch, the "roofing expert" who was not doubt the cheapest, just put the ice shield down wrong and it bubbled, his solution was to cut the ice shield and step on it. This crew, six yougins, have been at this roof two days and havent layed a shingle . You get what you pay for in roofs and paver patios

SpudsM15
08-29-2012, 06:29 PM
After thinking about this more in depth and also remembering that the customer asked me how long I'll Warranty for I'm just going to speak with customer and suggest complete rebuild with some modifications. This is just to much to patch up.

alldayrj
08-29-2012, 08:15 PM
Heres what I've done, either way you make your $$. Give a price to do it right with warranty. Then give a price of 2/3 to 3/4 that to fix it. No warranty. If they take the second option they are dumb. Either way you win.
Posted via Mobile Device

Birchwood
08-29-2012, 11:13 PM
You might be surprised as too what you will find under that, to me it looks like diferential settleing, something like a concrete step is still under there. Many guys will try to hide all kinds of $%$% under raised patios. Bid this one by the hour, thats what I do, I'd put that one at around 6grand. Btw, too me that was done crappy anyway so count on changing the cuts and pattern anyway, it was terrible to start with.

At first I thought over dig on the foundation was the problem, but look closely at the 2 pictures with each end, I think the patio has a 10x10 slab under it.

The main area is so level and intact and the edges by the house the pavers just drop off. 90% of the step in front of the door is intact the wall, not pavers but the end falls off again.

It needs to come out, design is bad, you won't get pavers to line up at all.

zedosix
08-30-2012, 05:41 AM
What I meant by changing cuts and pattern was to pull it all out and change the design. Yes that means to redo completely. I actually was expecting only that and nothing else when you showed this mess to us.