PDA

View Full Version : Mix sound good?

ron mexico75
08-29-2012, 09:22 PM
I have a customer who I normally cut come to me a couple days ago and tell me he wants a good looking lawn. I picked this guy up at the beginning of the summer and it's basically crabgrass broadleaves and a little bit of fescue. It does not look bad enough to totally kill off with gly. It's too late to use Q4 plus. I wish this gut would have said something sooner!

So I'm looking to spray and seed as soon as I can. It's about 7000 sq ft. I'm thinking of using Drive XLR8 and speedzone. Thoughts on this? I usually use Q4 plus and am on a organized schedule. However, don't want to turn down work. Don't have experience spraying these 2 together.

Any thoughts, tips, or suggestions for something different?

I read the label on speedzone and it has a 14 day wait time to reseed. The drive is 7 days but the label also says Can be used anytime prior to seeding. With the turn around times for each of these, it would seem to me this is a decent combo.
Posted via Mobile Device

charmill26
08-29-2012, 09:39 PM
why is it too late for Q4? does it have a longer reseed time than the other 2? looking to learn not to tell you you're wrong

ron mexico75
08-29-2012, 11:36 PM
Q4 plus is 30 days. Where I'm at you want seed down by 2nd-3rd week in sept.

Anyone else that can help please?
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
08-29-2012, 11:49 PM
Q4 has sulfentrazone in it. That is a strong preemergent. I believe Riggle did one of his vacant lot or Dixie cup tests where it hurt the germination of cool season grasses. Drive and Speedzone sounds good for what you are trying to do.

ron mexico75
08-30-2012, 12:10 AM
Q4 has sulfentrazone in it. That is a strong preemergent. I believe Riggle did one of his vacant lot or Dixie cup tests where it hurt the germination of cool season grasses. Drive and Speedzone sounds good for what you are trying to do.

Thanks buddy I appreciate it. I'll give it a try (drive xlr8/ dpeed zone) and hopefully get good results. I'm not really a fan of Q4 plus. I hate the 30 day wait period to reseed. I've never understood why their is a pre-emergent in the product. For what it's generally used for (preperation for fall renovation) what good is a pre-emergent that only lasts 30 says anyways at the end if thd summer?

Oh well, guess I'll see what happens.
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
08-30-2012, 12:17 AM
Sulfentrazone is an example of a herbicide with multiple actions. It is mostly in there for rapid burn down of grassy and sedge weeds, much like what Trimec Plus used to be used for. However, at adequate rates, it sticks around. Sulfentrazone is also in Dismiss. I can tell you that not very many weeds come up in an area sprayed with Dismiss totaling the full annual rate. Carfentrazone, which is in Speedzone and Quicksilver is very safe around seeds because of the lack of soil activity. You can actually use Quicksilver to burn down broadleaves that come up in a recently seeded area. In many cases, that is a better option than waiting through 3 mowings or hand weeding.

grassmasterswilson
08-30-2012, 06:33 AM
I'm going to be spraying Quincept on my fescue today and tmrw. I'm not planning on starting to seed for the next 2 weeks or so depending on the weather. My Nufarm rep said 2-3 weeks was the wait time but didn't see much of a problem if you wanted to start earlier.

Quincept is pretty much a 3-way/quinclorac mix. It cost me around $2/1000 to spray at high end. I priced some speedzone red label at about $0.80/1000. Wonder what drive cost is? Wonder if quincept or a speedzone/drive mix is better for fescue cleanup? What's everyone's price on drive?

ron mexico75
08-30-2012, 10:37 AM
Just a ballpark figure, but XLR8 is around $1.75 per 1000 sq ft. Could be plus or minus a little depending on what you can get it for.

pinto n mwr
08-30-2012, 06:16 PM
I'm going to be spraying Quincept on my fescue today and tmrw. I'm not planning on starting to seed for the next 2 weeks or so depending on the weather. My Nufarm rep said 2-3 weeks was the wait time but didn't see much of a problem if you wanted to start earlier.

Quincept is pretty much a 3-way/quinclorac mix. It cost me around $2/1000 to spray at high end. I priced some speedzone red label at about $0.80/1000. Wonder what drive cost is? Wonder if quincept or a speedzone/drive mix is better for fescue cleanup? What's everyone's price on drive?

NuFarm quinclorac-$1.25/1000

grassmasterswilson
08-30-2012, 06:45 PM
NuFarm quinclorac-$1.25/1000

What's your price? I'm paying $87 per gallon at 2.75 oz per 1000
Posted via Mobile Device

RigglePLC
08-30-2012, 08:42 PM
Here is the link to my test for last year. I used T-Zone for one of the tests. It contains some sulfentrazone. It reduced seed germination when seed was sown 5 days after it was applied.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=359266

pinto n mwr
08-31-2012, 12:06 AM
What's your price? I'm paying $87 per gallon at 2.75 oz per 1000
Posted via Mobile Device

1 pound, $54, covers an acre