PDA

View Full Version : John Bean / Nozzle & Debris

Mike75
08-30-2012, 07:23 AM
I am really hoping you guys can help me out.

I run Bean pumps and they have been great, except for one issue - our chemlawn gun yellow nozzles will get clogged with debris of some sort in a matter of minutes when using.

We have cleaned the fiberglass tank to the point you could eat off of it,
We have totally removed the Bean filter and housing, and replaced with
50 mesh Banjo setup,
We have flushed many gallons of water through the tank/pump hoping to get whatever the debris is, out of the system,
but we are still having problems.

The Bean setup has the filter on the vacuum side of the pump, but I want to install a filter just before the hose to make certain that nothing can possibly get to the nozzle. Is this possible? What system do I need?

Have any of you had this problem? I was under the impression that Bean is the best, but being cast iron, it flakes and rusts a great amount.

Any help is much appreciated,

Thank you.

bug-guy
08-30-2012, 08:29 AM
try getting a basket filter (i think surco) reduce to the hose size going to the reel

Ric
08-30-2012, 11:27 AM

I am going to question the age of the Pump and the Plumbing?? Could they be Rusting on the inside and flaking off rust debris?? Worse yet would be Steel shavings.

Mike75
08-30-2012, 12:02 PM

I am going to question the age of the Pump and the Plumbing?? Could they be Rusting on the inside and flaking off rust debris?? Worse yet would be Steel shavings.

I do believe it is to some extent rust or metal flakes. The equipment is only 2 years old.
Is there some type of solvent or cleaner that I can flush through the system that will remove the debris but not damage the hose/tank?

Do you guys let chemicals sit in your tanks/pumps? If so, how long?
If not, do you only mix for the day exactly how much you will need and wash them at night?

Thank you in advance for the help

Ric
08-30-2012, 01:14 PM
I do believe it is to some extent rust or metal flakes. The equipment is only 2 years old.
Is there some type of solvent or cleaner that I can flush through the system that will remove the debris but not damage the hose/tank?

Do you guys let chemicals sit in your tanks/pumps? If so, how long?
If not, do you only mix for the day exactly how much you will need and wash them at night?

Thank you in advance for the help

Sorry I know of no cleaner you could run for the Rust. You might have to Re-Plumb the Pump with Brass, Stainless, and/or Nylon pipe and Fitting. I suggest staying away from PVC as much as possible. While it burns my butt to pay for brass and SS, I know it is a necessary expense. IMHO you get your monies worth the first time you don't break down with a problem.

RigglePLC
08-30-2012, 02:20 PM
Mysterious. I almost never rinsed the system in my setup. At Tru Gren using Bean pumps 20 years ago, we never rinsed them out. The pump cylinders were white ceramic.
However, the yellow nozzle has a rather fine opening, correct? How fine is the mesh in your inline suction filter? How often do you need to clean it? You probably want 325 mesh. Is the residue in your nozzles rust? Can you pick it up with a magnet? Remember any iron pipe in the system could contribute rust to the problem. And...the reel has a steel pipe through the center--which could be flaking off rust particles. Yes, you can put a filter on the pressure side before the reel...unusual...and if it plugs up...the pressure becomes excessive...you could damage pump or blow out a hose. What pressure and gals per thousand do you use?

And...you can put a garden hose filter on the gun just inside the nozzle. I have done this many times.
Naturally, if a filter becomes blocked you will have poor pressure at the gun. Frustrating.
You are probably best to switch to the green nozzle. Same gallons per minute but bigger droplets and less chance of drift.

Are you adding dry fertilizer and dissolving it? If so the contamination could be in the fertilizer itself. Switch brands.

Ric
08-30-2012, 03:30 PM
Mysterious. I almost never rinsed the system in my setup. At Tru Gren using Bean pumps 20 years ago, we never rinsed them out. The pump cylinders were white ceramic.
However, the yellow nozzle has a rather fine opening, correct? How fine is the mesh in your inline suction filter? How often do you need to clean it? You probably want 325 mesh. Is the residue in your nozzles rust? Can you pick it up with a magnet? Remember any iron pipe in the system could contribute rust to the problem. And...the reel has a steel pipe through the center--which could be flaking off rust particles. Yes, you can put a filter on the pressure side before the reel...unusual...and if it plugs up...the pressure becomes excessive...you could damage pump or blow out a hose. What pressure and gals per thousand do you use?

And...you can put a garden hose filter on the gun just inside the nozzle. I have done this many times.
Naturally, if a filter becomes blocked you will have poor pressure at the gun. Frustrating.
You are probably best to switch to the green nozzle. Same gallons per minute but bigger droplets and less chance of drift.

Are you adding dry fertilizer and dissolving it? If so the contamination could be in the fertilizer itself. Switch brands.

Good Point. Both the TG and Tee Jet Gun use 3/4 hose bib threads for their nozzles. You can screw on the gun any standard Garden Hose attachment and filter. I use a zero degree wash down nozzle to shoot high into a tree when I have to. Of course I can't leave anything in original form and have modified my Tee Jet Gun to use flat fans.

Riggles I hope you agree with me the source of the Debris must be found, not just filtered out. Beam Pumps aren't cheap and should last a Long time. I am not saying after I found the source of the debris I wouldn't just Filter it out depending of the source. But I sure want to know where it is coming from.