PDA

View Full Version : Plug-N-Poop Package, doing it right now

adam.neusbaum
08-30-2012, 04:04 PM
Im finding that both aeration & compost topdressing services work well packaged together.
Posted via Mobile Device

phasthound
08-31-2012, 09:27 PM
Im finding that both aeration & compost topdressing services work well packaged together.
Posted via Mobile Device

Absolutely!! For cool season turf, complete the package with seeding and you will provide your clients with a great lawn.

Rick13
08-31-2012, 09:49 PM
adam.neusbaum....what type of compost spreader are you using?

This is something I would like to add in the future, compost spreader. Any info. would greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

adam.neusbaum
08-31-2012, 10:09 PM
Was using the Ecolawn-applicator yesterday & to my aggravation the Black Kow compost moisture was too high causing a terrible bridging issue. I'm determined to find a way to dry store inventory but without a barn or lean-to that's going to be tough. First thing I should do is form up & pour a nice elevated concrete slab. With the Turfco Mete-r-Matic topdresser its not an issue but I prefer the Eco.
Posted via Mobile Device

Smallaxe
09-01-2012, 02:40 PM
Was using the Ecolawn-applicator yesterday & to my aggravation the Black Kow compost moisture was too high causing a terrible bridging issue. I'm determined to find a way to dry store inventory but without a barn or lean-to that's going to be tough. First thing I should do is form up & pour a nice elevated concrete slab. With the Turfco Mete-r-Matic topdresser its not an issue but I prefer the Eco.
Posted via Mobile Device

Spreaders continue to be a problem, in that it is simpler to have a helper and a wheelbarrow to tote a decent volume about the lawn, quickly and easily...
I'm sorry if this offends certain people, but for the amount of money involved it is worthwhile to,,, step it up a notch!!! requiring perfect compost to function properly is not the solution... :)

adam.neusbaum
09-01-2012, 03:01 PM
No offense taken. This statement merely reflects your topdressing service volume. Thankfully the machines paid for themselves their first 3 months in service. Thirty-eight cubic yards spread <evenly> over 7 hours time with machines goes unmatched by any wheelbarrow. Where most of the time spent was in the drive time to reload the trucks. Of course the type of grass greatly determines the maximum thickness. Many lawns here in Central Florida are Zoysia that's cut at 2.25-3" and to prevent smothering you must be careful not to leave any area too dense. In the end i'm not looking to win any argument, to each his own. Obviously we're all mentally stable enough to determine what is the very best method of service as necessary. If i was convinced any other way was more efficient i'd be the first to try it. I consider myself an Evolutionist in the service world, i'm quick to dump something if its not working. Best regards. Happy Labor Day weekend!
Posted via Mobile Device

Smallaxe
09-01-2012, 03:13 PM
So Eco-lawn is worth a look, once I get into high volume... the North doesn't really get into compost as much as the South, but I'm glad to know there are applicators worth the expense... 38 yds/day is definately a look see...
Thanks for not arguing about it... :)

adam.neusbaum
09-01-2012, 03:17 PM
Yes they are nice. Turfcos have way too many moving expensive parts to replace/adjust. Anytime you include a Reverse feature they are going to add up. Besides Eco is only 275 pounds compared to 670 Turfco. I have 2 out of 3 Turfcos left & 1 Eco.
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
09-01-2012, 03:24 PM
It is a good combo for sure.

I am not sure the demand is high enough in my area.

Ticolawnllc
09-05-2012, 10:57 PM
I have a compact tractor. Is there an attachment that would allow me to top dress compost with some productivity. I was thinking of some sort I'd harrow or land leveler Any one have any experience.

The guy

adam.neusbaum
09-05-2012, 11:28 PM
Not that I've ever seen.
My topdressing service was a slow start & I was glad I only paid $1750 for my first Turfco so it didn't take too many $275 jobs to make that back. If it wasn't for getting into a Del Webb community 1.5 years back I might have given it up, of course it helps when you have a full-time job otherwise. Word of mouth made it all happen from the first one to over 125 ytd. I've even had a woman leave a message "I'd like to schedule a date for you to come by and poop-on-my-lawn". Her words exactly & she had me out again this year. That's what you get when your contact number is 1-855-Cow-Poop.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rick13
09-07-2012, 07:05 PM
Hi adam.neusbaum....what type of dump trailer do you have? I can pick up compost up here for a penny a pound....which is really cheap. I'm looking for a good dump trailer....and would like it if the A-Frame (front part of the hitch) could fit the eco-spreader. It would have to be custom made. Do you have any pictures of your set up? And is your dump trailer the type with the fold down sides? Thanks!

adam.neusbaum
09-08-2012, 12:38 AM
I started topdressing with a borrowed International dumptruck & it was a killer. I was scoop shoveling it out the back. Then I went to a F350 dumptruck but could only hold 6 yards so I then added an Isuzu with a 14' dumpbox which holds up to 12 yards. After recently deciding to scale back on trucks i just sold the Ford to my brother. I'll post a pic of my simple set-up sometime over the weekend. I just pull a small 5x10 trailer for the aerator & eco. Sorry, I've never used a dump-trailer mostly because I need a high starting point so the material can almost gravity fill the Spreader via a slanted 4x8 sheet of plywood. Definitely the simplest way I've found at this point.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rick13
09-08-2012, 12:49 AM
Will you post a picture of the slanted 4x8 plywood method?

I am interested in your system. I almost thought a dump trailer with the fold over sides would be nice, because you can drive the spreader to the side, and then just shovel/push the compo into the hopper. But I've never seen it in person.

Thanks for the future pictures!!!

adam.neusbaum
09-08-2012, 08:45 AM
My dad is such a help. He's currently camping out in Wyoming, about 2500 miles from here with only his Honda Reflex 250cc scooter and a few basic necessities like, a tent, a handgun, a few clothes & a gas burner. He ask me when I'm going to decide to drop out of the rat-race like he did. He explains how he feels 20 years old again without all the obligations but with life's experience to know what's really important.
His favorite song is My Life by Billy Joel:
Lyrics:
Got a call from an old friend
We used to be real close
Said he couldn't go on the American way
Closed the shop, sold the house
Bought a ticket to the West Coast
Now he gives them a stand-up routine in L.A.

I don't need you to worry for me cause I'm alright
I don't want you to tell me it's time to come home
I don't care what you say anymore, this is my life
Go ahead with your own life and leave me alone

I never said you had to offer me a second chance
I never said I was a victim of circumstance
I still belong, don't get me wrong
And you can speak you mind
But not on my time

They will tell you you can't sleep alone
In a strange place
Then they'll tell you you can't sleep
With somebody else
Ah, but sooner or later you sleep
In your own space
Either way it's okay
You wake up with yourself

I don't need you to worry for me cause I'm alright
I don't want you to tell me it's time to come home

I never said you had to offer me a second chance
I never said I was a victim of circumstance
I still belong, don't get me wrong
And you can speak you mind
But not on my time

adam.neusbaum
09-08-2012, 10:35 PM
Sorry, I forgot to mention the attached pics of the plywood assist.
Posted via Mobile Device

Green_Will
09-09-2012, 09:08 PM
I am doing a bid for a top dress and overseed right now. Boy, everything happens for a reason. I was trying to figure out how to justify the expense of renting the loader, delivering a huge load of compost, dumping it, raking it, etc, etc. I need to look into the top dressing machine.

Green_Will
09-09-2012, 09:10 PM
Does the top dresser vibrate or sift somehow? Sorry if that's a stupid question, but I'm wondering how dry and fine the compost has to be before loading the machine.

adam.neusbaum
09-09-2012, 09:43 PM
One huge benefit of the Turfco is the compost or sand can be saturated & it always makes its way down to the hopper-wide conveyor belt as long as the center divider is removed. It literally looks like I've painted the entire lawn black (easy to see where you've been). The benefit of the Eco is that it slings the material down into the rootzone instead of just laying on top of the turf since the Eco is a broadcaster & Turfco is a drop Spreader. On occasion I've spent equal time raking it in for a finer finish. Besides my moisture issues (raining daily now here in Florida) id prefer a finer screened compost. Wish I had my own powerscreener. Though its manure derived its not consistent especially if they use the older inferior screener then im raking out bits of mulch pieces which really steams me. This makes it rare to have much competition because its so specialized I.m.h.o.
Posted via Mobile Device

Green_Will
09-09-2012, 10:25 PM
Cool, thanks for the info. I also wanted to say that I think it is rare that we figure life out for ourselves with enough time to do anything about it.... Sounds like you father is one of the few. The song (without the goofball in the red spandex) makes a better motto than a song.

Green_Will
09-09-2012, 10:27 PM
I need to see if I can find someone that rents them around here. Oh! Great idea for the plywood catch. Thought that was pretty good McGyverin'.

adam.neusbaum
09-09-2012, 10:53 PM
The ultra-simple plywood w/knee-brace came from thinking about a better way to load the machines Day & Night & i'm not kidding. Its all I ate, drank & slept for months. If you saw the stacks of various drawings & Google Images designs of poly-augers, conveyors, mulch mules, salt spreaders, live/walking floors, mini-skidsteer loaders, clamshell loaders, garbage trucks, livestock feeder wagons, paddle-wheels, tillers, reversed powerbrooms, snowthrowers, hydraulic rams, grapple trucks, mini-backhoes, giant leaf-vacs, etc. All those options and more thoroughly examined just to settle on a non-motorized basic wooden ramp for under $100. Being determined not to buy pricey machinery that would sit half the year while utilizing the two dumptrucks was the challenge. I almost couldn't believe the time & mental energy spent just to end on that. It felt ridiculous. So in short, thanks for your kind words, thankfully I was only out about $1200 in prototype welding & material work when the ramp simplicity lightbulb came on & I could stop everything else. It felt so good to finally have closure. Upon proof-reading my wife reminded me of the treadmill idea where 5 upside down treadmills would be attached to the ramp so as to propel the material out to the edge when activated individually. What a memory.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rick13
09-10-2012, 09:25 PM
Hi adam.neusbaum! The pictures say a 1000 words! But how do you have your ply wood shelf attached to the dump bed? Do you have brackets on the left and right side of the ply wood keeping it from sliding out from the weight of the compost?

Thanks! I would like to get a set up like yours.

And what spreader do you like better turfco like you have in your pictures or eco spreader?

Up here in Northern Illinois...we have a great compost supplier two miles from my house...and they sell nice, rice, super black compost for a penny a pound! They grind it up, so there is no chunks or other surprises in their compost.

I would like to custom order a dump trailer with an extra long A frame hitch so the spreader could mount right behind the trailer hitch, and where I could use the dump and it wouldn't interfere with the spreader if it's sitting on the A frame. Any idea what it might cost of an extra addition to the A frame hitch....since I'm asking ya'll a ton of questions???? :dancing:

Thanks again!!!

DA Quality Lawn & YS
09-11-2012, 12:53 AM
I would love to get into compost topdressing. The benefits are HUGE.
Two things prevent me from going there now.

1) Cost of topdressing machines is absurd. High cost of entry

2) How to handle mass volume of material needed for this service.

Rick13
09-11-2012, 01:08 AM
I agree with you DA Quality Lawns....the spreaders are very high!!! And it doesn't seem like there is much to them either. At least not to justify their prices!!!

That is why I'm looking at the dump trailer and a longer A-frame so the spreader will be able to fit up front by the hitch. Use some ramps to get the spreader up to the platform, strap it down, and I think it would be a nice, clean, and a easy setup!

I would make the same attachment(ply-wood ramp) that Adam.N. has in the back of his dumps....it looks very easy and quick. Bring the spreader to the rear dump area, rake it into the hopper, and head back out into the lawn spreading compost.

So My game plan is this Spring is buy a compost spreader....but get the dump trailer soon if they will make a good deal. Looking at Beck's in MI.

Green_Will
09-11-2012, 01:09 AM
I would love to get into compost topdressing. The benefits are HUGE.
Two things prevent me from going there now.

1) Cost of topdressing machines is absurd. High cost of entry

2) How to handle mass volume of material needed for this service.

My sentiments exactly. That's why I'm looking to rent for the first few til the service starts selling itself. Not sure how much research you've done on this, but the app rates are around 1cu.yd. per 1k sq.ft so small to medium yds would be easily manageable.

Smallaxe
09-11-2012, 10:28 AM
The high cost to the client is bad enough, in trying upsell it... adding in the cost of a machine really pushes it over the top... be sure there is a steady client base b4 investment, because most clients won't buy it a second time... :)

Snapper12
09-11-2012, 10:32 AM
The cost of the eco lawn is obscene. Especially for all the tweaks we have had to make with it. Factor in putting a double wheel on back, replacing the conveyor belt, replacing the transaxel, and burning your fingers when shutting off the hopper opening. However, we do use the hell of them. We have two and put down near 1000 yrds of compost per year.

Take into consideration also that compost is heavy, around 1000 lbs a yard and even more if it's wet. If you were pushing your truck or trailer with 10 yards of mulch before, figure about 5 yards of compost.

The part that takes the longest is just keeping the machine filled. You can dump a whole hopper of compost in 30 seconds.

AdamN - I like your design with the ramp. I also looked into many options of conveyor etc to fill the machines. Never thought about the 5 treadmills :)

Snapper12
09-11-2012, 10:34 AM
Smallaxe,
The high cost of the product deliverys a high quality product. Most clients WILL buy a second and third and fourth time because they see the results. Especially after a summer like we had. However, I hope you continue to think like that so I can get those clients. :) Kidding we are in different areas.

Smallaxe
09-11-2012, 11:13 AM
Smallaxe,
The high cost of the product deliverys a high quality product. Most clients WILL buy a second and third and fourth time because they see the results. Especially after a summer like we had. However, I hope you continue to think like that so I can get those clients. :) Kidding we are in different areas.

I understand what you're saying and you are absolutely correct... however:

People see results that they believe are perfect,,, from perpetual 'cides and constant water with fertilizers... I can see the benefits , but the h.o. sees only the shade of green... so ,,, "Why should I put compost on my lawn??? It looks perfect now..." :)

adam.neusbaum
09-11-2012, 12:05 PM
In communities where they pay high water bills the moisture retention is a huge selling point.
Posted via Mobile Device

Green_Will
09-11-2012, 01:11 PM
I understand what you're saying and you are absolutely correct... however:

People see results that they believe are perfect,,, from perpetual 'cides and constant water with fertilizers... I can see the benefits , but the h.o. sees only the shade of green... so ,,, "Why should I put compost on my lawn??? It looks perfect now..." :)

That's a good point. My current customer and all her neighbors are in a new wing of a community where all the houses have wonderfully rocky subsoil as topsoil, so they have an uphill climb to get to perfect.... That's where I come in.

adam.neusbaum
09-11-2012, 10:25 PM
Hi adam.neusbaum! The pictures say a 1000 words! But how do you have your ply wood shelf attached to the dump bed? Do you have brackets on the left and right side of the ply wood keeping it from sliding out from the weight of the compost?

Thanks! I would like to get a set up like yours.

And what spreader do you like better turfco like you have in your pictures or eco spreader?

Up here in Northern Illinois...we have a great compost supplier two miles from my house...and they sell nice, rice, super black compost for a penny a pound! They grind it up, so there is no chunks or other surprises in their compost.

I would like to custom order a dump trailer with an extra long A frame hitch so the spreader could mount right behind the trailer hitch, and where I could use the dump and it wouldn't interfere with the spreader if it's sitting on the A frame. Any idea what it might cost of an extra addition to the A frame hitch....since I'm asking ya'll a ton of questions???? :dancing:

Thanks again!!!
Sorry for the dark pic, getting dark earlier now. Very basic side bracket attachment for the plywood ramp, $11 each at Lowes. Just one drill hole on each side & drop a bolt or pin down thru the sheet to keep in place.
Something to consider, generally dump-trailers will have a low-profile compared to the back of a small dumptruck so your full-tilt wood edge may be very low unless you have it start further up inside the dump-body. One benefit to that may be then you could possibly use that back portion to park your eco-lawn sideways. If I were loading the truck myself each time I'd omit the crown and shoot for more of an even flat pile. This way I wouldn't have a ridge to contend with when going for gravity assist. Why work harder than necessary? My main goal from the start is to get that bed near full-tilt to start a good flow. I have got to find the time to install the Big Bertha Truck Vibrator, here's a link if you're wondering. BTW my dad thinks I'm nuts for buying this:
http://www.vibco.com/products/electric-vibrators/dc-vibrators/product?productkey=DC-3500%20-%20Big%20Bertha%20Dumpbody%20Vibrator

coolbrze
09-12-2012, 08:24 AM
Just curious but approx. how many yds./lbs. do you spread on an avg. 1/4 acre lot (less the avg. house/driveway sq. ft.)?

adam.neusbaum
09-12-2012, 08:40 AM
About 700 ft/coverage per yard. Most take 5-6 yds
Posted via Mobile Device

Rick13
09-12-2012, 04:22 PM
Adam.N. What do you think about Earth and Turf Spreaders? Or do you like Turfco or Ecolawn better? Can you name good and bad of each one?

adam.neusbaum
09-24-2012, 02:56 PM
Adam.N. What do you think about Earth and Turf Spreaders? Or do you like Turfco or Ecolawn better? Can you name good and bad of each one?

I haven't had the opportunity to try a E & T but I suppose it's a compact version of the Turfco. While drop-spreader types like the E & T & Turfco lay a nice even layer, sometimes you end up trying to rake any high-points in. My father had a bad habit of starting the conveyor before moving the machine which always created a little mound to rake out. The Eco slings it into the rootzone & therefore you can put more down without any follow up.

Unfortunately my compost supplier's power-screener has been down & the back-up one is junk so here's a pic of my own screener to separate any rubbish before spreading to save some headaches. A really clean soil comes out of this especially if I scoop up and re-screen a few buckets. $41 expanded metal & $30 in wood. I'd love to have a nice big clean slab to work on. Screening & drying will make a huge difference in efficiency. Clients occasionally suggest I need to change my trucks sign since it says the compost is $35 & here they are paying $55. I simply state that for $35/yard it's dumped in the driveway & they can spread it by hand or $55/yard & I'll use my machine to do it. They always choose the latter.

adam.neusbaum
09-24-2012, 03:30 PM
Besides installation I can clearly say that the $35/yard isn't clean screened like the $55 topdressing compost is. So it's a real bargain to have me do it all. Here's a pic of the finished product & of the garbage I'd previously attempt to rake out of the lawn. Every year I learn a little bit more. Forget fighting with the supplier for a better finished product, I'll just try & do it myself from now on.

Rick13
09-25-2012, 01:17 AM
Well Guys, like I said in a different post, I've got Ecolawn coming out to my house next Monday (October 1st) to show me their new Ecolawn model 200.

It is big than the 100 model. The 200 has two discharge wheels...one turning right and one turning left....so when the material leaves the hopper...it has a better spraying pattern. The hopper is bigger...so you can carry more, and I thought they said it might have two engines???

Kevin from Ecolawn said it's a great machine....cost a little more...but it sounds like you are also getting more of a machine for that extra cost.

I hope to take a few pictures (if they let me)....otherwise he said set up a few yards and you can see what our new machine can do!!!

Oh yeah....this machine will be at GIE Expo also. So if it's as good as Kevin says it is, then I might be the 1st customer buying their Ecolawn 200.

I will keep you posted. 6 days and counting..... :cool2:

adam.neusbaum
09-25-2012, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the scoop. I liked what you described about the new 200 model so much that I just went out this morning and bought one. Actually, im using it right now & its just great! Yeah, I wish. That's the feeling I always get with a new & improved piece of equipment. Owning a Dixie Chopper was tough 'cause they were always improving their models.
Posted via Mobile Device

adam.neusbaum
09-25-2012, 01:10 PM
Massey aerating tech & I started at the same time 10:53 & @ 11:13 he was driving away & wouldn't return my friendly wave. Im thankful I don't have a crammed schedule like he does 'cause I didn't leave until 11:45. I've noticed that newbies & immature adults can have the nastiest & most resentful attitude toward other tradesmen. Like there's not enough work to go around.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rick13
09-25-2012, 05:30 PM
Hi Adam, Ecolawn has released the 200 model already??? And you have it now???

Kevin from Ecolawn said that they weren't going to release it for maybe a couple of weeks.

The 100 model is the one they have on their website now. The 100 model has only one broadcasting disk, just like what they show on their website.

The redesigned 200 model will have two broadcasting disks in the front. And I thought he said that it will have two engines???

Can you post a picture of your new machine???

adam.neusbaum
09-25-2012, 05:54 PM
Im sorry Rick but you must slow down just a little to see that I was only teasing. "Yeah right, I wish" was my clue. Seriously now id love to see the improvements. Maybe your rep could at least send u a pic to share withus.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rick13
09-25-2012, 06:37 PM
I get it.... :laugh:

My rep. wasn't sure when they would release it, but it wouldn't surprise me that they wouldn't know....and it was out. Sometimes, people aren't on the same page. That's why I was a little shocked, and like....why couldn't I get my hands on it too?

Yep, I will try to get a few pictures on Monday. Plus then I will be able to add the Ecolawn 200 to my website...letting customers know this will be a future service I'm going to be offering this Spring....or maybe still this Fall....if the machine comes out sooner than later. And showing a few pictures are worth a thousand words!!! So that's my goal!!!!

Nice joke....but I wish you were true....so I could get on the phone and find out where's mine!!!!

Snapper12
09-27-2012, 03:35 PM
VERY interested in seeing the 200.

Rick13
09-28-2012, 01:19 AM
Sent Keith for Ecolawn and email tonight, confirming our demo on October 1st @ 10 am. He replied back saying get 6 yards of compost so you get a good feel for Ecolawn 200!!!

I've got three yards set up.

1st yard....mine, flat, small, with a few trees and obstacles to go around around.

2nd yard.....backyard, spread compost around pool area....pretty small. But I will spread seed first, then a layer of compost.

3rd yard....hilly with a few ditches to deal with. Backyard small slope.

So I think I should get a good feel for the machine and should sneak a few pictures too....heheheh. He's got to goto the bathroom sometime...right???

Just a few more days!!!

Snapper12
10-01-2012, 01:04 PM
Any update?

adam.neusbaum
10-02-2012, 05:21 PM
Rick13 are you still out there topdressing? Taking the term "demo" to new heights I suppose.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rick13
10-03-2012, 12:20 AM
Hi Guys!!! I'm not sure how to line another post to this one??? But I've posted some pictures and comments under Lawn Maintenance & Renovations....and thread called "Going to GIE+EXPO to see the Compost Spreaders .

Lawnsite won't let you post the same pictures in different threads....sorry....but I haven't forgot ya'll!!!!!

But if you goto that thread....you will see what I've been up too the last two days!!!!

adam.neusbaum
03-17-2013, 06:12 PM
Let the spreading begin!

Rick13
03-17-2013, 09:47 PM
You're Lucky Adam, we still have a good amount of snow up here in Northern IL.

But I'll be ready....still have the truck, dump trailer, and Ecolawn 200 in storage!!! :cool2:

Exact Rototilling
03-22-2013, 12:04 AM
Yes....what is typically the demographics of your compost top dressing client base...?

Only ones that do that here is one of the bark blowing companies. Pretty tough to compete with them since they buy the Eco compost in mass.

adam.neusbaum
03-22-2013, 12:20 AM
Mine are retirees that maintained 2-5 acres before downsizing & figure they ought to have the nicest 1/5 acre on the block.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rick13
03-22-2013, 07:30 PM
My customer's are people who have yards that dried up/or have sod web worms....which comes from the drought.....and now they want their yards reseeded.

It's just teaching people/customer's that their are different ways of maintaining a nice yard....and it can be done with reseeding, core aeration, organic compost spreading in the Spring and Fall. You spot spray weeds...but in year or two...you can help them turn their yard into a "mature yard" that still needs a little care...but doesn't need a 5 to 7 program to look good!

And oh yeah....it's good for the Earth too!

Exact Rototilling
04-19-2013, 10:36 AM
Ric 13,

I see you are really going to town on the topdressing drill. More power to you.
:weightlifter:

In my own situation I find it strange that the only client I know of who has paid to have his lawn top dressed via a bark blowing truck for $800-$1,000.... also is prone to shutting off his irrigation early in late Autumn when he becomes disgusted with mowing or dealing with his lawn on any level. He rarely ever does the Fall fertilizer application either. Hey but every Spring he's got bells on full throttle enthusiasm for his lawn. Hires a hack Co. to low ball dethatch low mow....all sorts of crazy stuff. Think he's got another top dressing lined up already. I think I have him convinced to leave the aeration plugs on his lawn this time.
:)

Almost forgot to ask....when top dressing in the Fall are you putting down additional supplemental Nitrogen to feed the lawn prior to dormancy. The 2/3+ plus rule of Nitrogen for Fall applications....?

My customer's are people who have yards that dried up/or have sod web worms....which comes from the drought.....and now they want their yards reseeded.

It's just teaching people/customer's that their are different ways of maintaining a nice yard....and it can be done with reseeding, core aeration, organic compost spreading in the Spring and Fall. You spot spray weeds...but in year or two...you can help them turn their yard into a "mature yard" that still needs a little care...but doesn't need a 5 to 7 program to look good!

And oh yeah....it's good for the Earth too!
Posted via Mobile Device

Rick13
04-19-2013, 04:39 PM
Not usually putting anything else down with the organic compost to increase Nitrogen. I know there's different levels of compost. The compost I get is lab tested and very good....so I've never had a problem. I guess I could always add Milorganite Organic Nitrogen Fertilizer...but I don't see why I would want to increase growth when Winter would be near?

The organic compost is slow release of Nitrogen. It won't green up your yard over nite....but green it up in a slow, healthy, and safe way.

Never thought of it.....but I guess I could always ask the customer's if they want it.

Smallaxe
04-20-2013, 10:23 AM
... I guess I could always add Milorganite Organic Nitrogen Fertilizer...but I don't see why I would want to increase growth when Winter would be near?

The organic compost is slow release of Nitrogen. It won't green up your yard over nite....but green it up in a slow, healthy, and safe way. ...

The Fall "when Winter would be near", promotes roots and storage, not the typical response from Spring nitrogen application...

http://turfdisease.osu.edu/turf-disease-updates/benefits-late-fall-fertilization

Fall N application,,, is STILL the most important for cool-season grasses... :)

adam.neusbaum
04-20-2013, 11:44 AM
A friend of mine took the time to make this hinging engine shield to keep the carbeurator's linkage & fuel tank clear of material.

Rick13
04-20-2013, 12:14 PM
Thanks Smallaxe....I've got something I can offer and show My Customers on why this would be good for their lawns. Thanks for the info!!!!

Hi Adam.....that's a good idea....usually my shoveling doesn't have that problem...but I might come up with something to protect mine too. Thanks for another good idea!!!!

adam.neusbaum
04-22-2013, 05:16 PM
I really appreciate the innovation of this conveyor unit. Compost is a tricky material to move sometimes. I was surprised at the bridging issues even though it's so dry. Seems like gravity feed wagons work best with granularized or pelletized materials. Maybe he just needs a Vibco vibrator for a quick buzz & shake. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcJkNucxq5o&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Posted via Mobile Device

adam.neusbaum
04-22-2013, 05:26 PM
I can't get over the size of this guys shovel & the narrator said "quickly": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtEXu48xMb0&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Posted via Mobile Device

imownh
04-25-2013, 01:13 AM
How does the new one do? I have the old single spinner and it plain sucks.

Exact Rototilling
04-25-2013, 01:22 AM
I can't get over the size of this guys shovel & the narrator said "quickly": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtEXu48xMb0&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Posted via Mobile Device

Just watched this. Lmao....Hilarious...! There is no way way that guy will shovel at that rate... ALL DAY...! :laugh:

Poor guy makes that top dresser look really fast.

BTW theme background music level is too loud in the video.

Narrator's voice is just a tad too sleepy time. :rolleyes:
Posted via Mobile Device

adam.neusbaum
04-25-2013, 01:59 PM
I received an email this morning I'd like to share, notice that it was last week 4/16 & this was the first I'd heard anything. This is precisely why I should have been using Ricks service clause agreement all along:

Attention: Adam Neusbaum

Reference: Core Aeration – 04-16-2013
Leesburg, FL 34748

Thank you for doing such a fine job of the core aeration on our property here in Legacy of Leesburg on April 16, 2013.

HOWEVER, later that afternoon TruGreen arrived to fertilize our lawn and discovered a leaking sprinkler pipe.
The cause of the leak was determined to be a puncture to the pipe via one of your aeration equipment.

I was able to have the repairs made by one of our association lawn service workers as the photos below indicate.
The cost incurred was $22.00 (which I had to pay in cash) . . . extremely lower than charges if a licensed plumber had been hired.

I am requesting the cost of the repairs only (not the increase in my water bill) due to the aeration damage be reimbursed to me.

Thank you again for an excellent core aeration service.

Here's a link to the pics.
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=1ec09156c420a3ed&id=1EC09156C420A3ED%21690&Bsrc=Photomail&Bpub=SDX.Photos&sff=1&authkey=!AGuDFOy50vk7HwQ

adam.neusbaum
04-25-2013, 02:02 PM
Here's my 1st reply:
Thanks for letting me know. I'll mail a check out as soon as possible. On very rare occasions will we find that an irrigation line was not properly buried to the industry standard of 10-12".
Please contact the builder to access the entire systems depth before any future aeration service. Generally the shallow pipe is an added line where it wasn't trenched but rather hand dug. Deeper aeration plugs are perfectly fine so as long as all the lines were installed correctly.
I apologize for the inconvenience.

Adam Neusbaum
1-855-Cow-Poop
www.CompostCowManure.com

adam.neusbaum
04-25-2013, 02:06 PM
And my 2nd mailing after I had some time to think about it.

Just curious, after identifying the leak that same day did you continue to run your normal watering times before the repair was made resulting in an increase to your water bill?
Adam Neusbaum

And now their response to my question:

Subject: Re: Sprinkler Repairs Required

Fortunately the water only ran for about 3-4 hours and it was only that one place in the back yard, but was flowing at a pretty good rate. I was able to turn off the water supply to the sprinkler system so hopefully our water bill will not be too much more.

Thank you for your fast response and the reimbursement. Perhaps we can send more business your way as we definitely were pleased with your work.

adam.neusbaum
04-25-2013, 02:11 PM
Any of you guys ever have a customer omit contacting you directly to address a repair and instead call someone else entirely to come & fix it & then hand you their bill? Common sense tells you to call the guy that broke it so he has the opportunity to fix it.

Rick13
04-26-2013, 12:18 AM
Yeah, Adam....you think they would give you a chance to fix it....especially since they liked your aeration job.

But on the bright side....you didn't have to drop everything to go fix the leak...and for $22.00 I'm sure your time and effort would cost you more in the long run. And the customer thanked you for your fast response to their problem....which speaks a lot on their opinion of you and your services.

I had an older couple today mark their cable line in their yard. The cable line is usually the one line that's never buried deep. I told them I would stay 2 feet off their line...since they didn't want to call Julie (free service in IL...that marks water, electric, cable, and gas lines).

So once I finished...the man came out to pay me, and I asked if the cable was still working....and he say "Yes"....but before I started the job today...I made sure that we agreed on what I was going to do. Taking a few more minutes on a job, can get you: good customer, future work for friends and family, and builds on customer's trust.

So it was a win, win!!!

Take the few minutes with the customer....it really will pay off in the end.

adam.neusbaum
04-26-2013, 03:06 PM
Rick- You are right on about the easy for me $22 fix 'cause this job was out of my normal service area anyway & it would have been a pain getting back there. I just got a little touchy over the "cheaper than a licensed plumber comment" 'cause if they'd tried handing me an $80 bill without notifying me first I'd have been really irritated. Then the "won't charge your for our increased water bill" was a bit silly since they found the leak the same day.
On a different note: Ever think about attaching a 30" + push broom head to the underside foot platform on our Exmarks as a mini drag-mat? With all the maneuvering we do a regular drag mat wouldn't work. Most callers ask what we do with the plugs afterward. I tell them how quickly they'll break down & besides for me personally it's a great attention grabber which makes passerby's think- "maybe we should get that done", I'd sorta hate for hit to look like nothing happened with the plugs gone but it'd probably be more beneficial to the lawn to knock 'em down.

Rick13
04-26-2013, 10:52 PM
I bought TurfEx's dethatching, broom sweeper, and flex hitch...which fits on My ExMark Mower. But I never thought of attaching the brooms....because they just sit in My garage.

I wonder if you linked some chains together behind the riding aerator....so as you pulled plugs....the chain would break them up a bit.

I used to use a chain to my walk behind JD to bend the grass so I could get better stripes! It worked good.

So I would think looping a chain behind the aerator would work.

adam.neusbaum
04-27-2013, 02:25 AM
A heavy chain is a great thought & it's manageable, I like it! I've got one ill try. Its a versatile machine. Last week we power raked and instead of walking & killing ourselves pulling it around I backed the platform under the rakes push handle, stepped thru it & let it rest against my thighs. Wasn't real easy but easier in a sense. Why do so many machines do a better job backward? Push the power rake & get nearly nothing left on top, pull it backward & get heaps
Posted via Mobile Device