PDA

View Full Version : who loves there stander

jimjoy12
09-01-2012, 02:01 AM
I love my wright stander. how do you like yours what can we do to make them even better what kind of blades do you use.

Schrock Lawns
09-01-2012, 04:01 AM
I've had mine for about 2 weeks 52 grandstand and love it except I can't get it to stripe For some reason
Posted via Mobile Device

123hotdog
09-01-2012, 06:08 AM
I have a 61" Great Dane Super Surfer and will run this thing till I die. I have had it for bout four years. I have some accounts that I got just because this mower cuts my time in half. I have a zero turn Kubota as well as a front deck Kubota both 60" inch cut as well as a 36" Scag walk behind, but for allot of mowing on sloped areas ( nothing is flat here ) you can not beat a stander. If my Stander was diesel, I'd have it made.

chagh2.0
09-01-2012, 07:30 AM
I love my wrights standers. Great mower my 52 x's are the best mower I have ever used for where I mow. I am in the market for 2 sit down z's for the larger flat lawns I do maybe a cha-chah cheetah or turf tiger. My standers will always have a place on my trailer.

Florida Gardener
09-01-2012, 09:13 AM
I have a 2008 36" FD Wright Stander...great mower. Has 397 trouble free hours on it(knock on wood). The 36" is an optimal size for Florida as we have a lot of tiny lawns. I run a plate with stock blades or gators in the summer and the full kit with stock blades or wavy exmarks in the winter.
Posted via Mobile Device

elrod93
09-01-2012, 06:22 PM
hot dog I am from the middle tennessee area and have been considering buying a used great dane surfer but wasn't sure it would be the way to go due to our hilly terrain. Thanks for the post.

123hotdog
09-01-2012, 06:47 PM
hot dog I am from the middle tennessee area and have been considering buying a used great dane surfer but wasn't sure it would be the way to go due to our hilly terrain. Thanks for the post.
You're welcome. I have not used the floating deck model. Mine is an older fixed deck model. It obviously is not as good on hills as my 36" walk behind but it is way better than my front deck mower or my zero turn.

Realslowww
09-01-2012, 07:27 PM
I have a 61" Great Dane Super Surfer and will run this thing till I die. I have had it for bout four years. I have some accounts that I got just because this mower cuts my time in half. I have a zero turn Kubota as well as a front deck Kubota both 60" inch cut as well as a 36" Scag walk behind, but for allot of mowing on sloped areas ( nothing is flat here ) you can not beat a stander. If my Stander was diesel, I'd have it made. I have a brand new 61 inch Great Dane stander deck with casters if interested. :)

weeble67
09-01-2012, 07:47 PM
I have a 52" Grandstand, that I love. It is so much fun, and it makes light work of hills. As for striping, I put a striping kit on it from Toro.

caseysmowing
09-02-2012, 01:41 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

caseysmowing
09-02-2012, 01:48 PM
I love standers period!!! I will always have one big ztr and a 36 wb the rest will be standers. Once u get good on them it's all u want and very good on hills..
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike NY
09-02-2012, 02:03 PM
Questions? Do any of you that use stand on mowers, collect clippings or leaves? If so, what kind of collection system?
Could it replace your walk behind mowers? Any wheel damage on turf like with a Z in the hands of a yahoo?

knox gsl
09-02-2012, 02:22 PM
How well do the standers do on hilly areas? I know that they will not compare to a WB but is the overall savings worth it to spend a few extra minutes with a trimmer. I am looking for a faster/newer mower than what I currently and running and really and looking at the exmark vantage 52". I know it will run about 1.5mph faster and has the same series 4 deck that I'm currently running and I can go wide open with it now. The other advantages is not having a sulky stripe and all the issues that go with those and a better deck lift setup.

jimjoy12
09-03-2012, 01:38 AM
any one do any mods?

123hotdog
09-03-2012, 04:08 AM
any one do any mods?
When I went to marathon solids on the front. It lightened up the front on my stander even more. I have considered welding a half inch dowel rod bout six inches long on the deck in the vertical position which would allow me to be able to slide weights on it to weigh the front end down. But I kinda like the light front end. It allows me to curb hop and stuff of that nature very easy.

sjessen
09-03-2012, 11:43 AM
How well do the standers do on hilly areas? I know that they will not compare to a WB but is the overall savings worth it to spend a few extra minutes with a trimmer. I am looking for a faster/newer mower than what I currently and running and really and looking at the exmark vantage 52". I know it will run about 1.5mph faster and has the same series 4 deck that I'm currently running and I can go wide open with it now. The other advantages is not having a sulky stripe and all the issues that go with those and a better deck lift setup.

I bought a 60" Vantage this spring. Can give you some feedback if interested.

knox gsl
09-03-2012, 11:49 AM
I bought a 60" Vantage this spring. Can give you some feedback if interested.

Really interested. I need to cover more ground and still be able to do the small hilly stuff. I do plan on having my turf tracers with me. I really miss my 60" lazer, didn't really need it till I sold it.

sjessen
09-03-2012, 12:09 PM
Really interested. I need to cover more ground and still be able to do the small hilly stuff. I do plan on having my turf tracers with me. I really miss my 60" lazer, didn't really need it till I sold it.

Let me begin by saying I love the Vantage. That said, at the end of the week it seems to take less time with the 60" Turf Tracer. Within its designed limits the Vantage is faster than a walk behind. The closer one gets to its limits the slower it is largely because the operator has to be more careful. Since you had a 60" Lazer so you will have less of a learning curve. Just a guess but the Vantage and Lazer probably have similar handling characteristics.

Send a pm if you would like to discuss further.

Bob_n_weave
09-03-2012, 05:20 PM
I have a 52" Grandstand, that I love. It is so much fun, and it makes light work of hills. As for striping, I put a striping kit on it from Toro.

I took my Toro stripe kit off my Grandstand after 1 year. Its fine on flat terrain but get on some steep slopes and funky terrain I had problems with it.

cpllawncare
09-04-2012, 10:47 PM
We run a 40" Grandstand and love it, Going to get a 52" next year, just an all around great mower, haven't tried a wright yet, apparently they are pretty good from all I hear on here, is the stander X their top of the line mower? about how much would a 52" stander X run?

cpllawncare
09-04-2012, 11:02 PM
OOPS never mind I just looked on the website WOW! A 52" ZK would run over 10K, guess we'll stay with TORO.

monoshock
09-05-2012, 09:40 AM
You're welcome. I have not used the floating deck model. Mine is an older fixed deck model. It obviously is not as good on hills as my 36" walk behind but it is way better than my front deck mower or my zero turn.I have 2 Great Dane Surfers 52" fixed deck. The tires you use make a big dif on hills. I like the super turf tire by Kenda, they hold good on hills.

turfbuilder
09-05-2012, 10:55 AM
I've been running standers over a dozen years or so. I've had Great Dane SuperSurfers and Wrights. Now I have 2 48" and 2 52" Wrights with plans on adding a new Stander X late this fall. Wrights are the the quickest and most nimble on hills and slopes and I've tried them all.

pugs
09-05-2012, 03:28 PM
We run a 40" Grandstand and love it, Going to get a 52" next year, just an all around great mower, haven't tried a wright yet, apparently they are pretty good from all I hear on here, is the stander X their top of the line mower? about how much would a 52" stander X run?

No, the X isnt the top of the line. Its basically an adjustable floating deck version of their normal fixed deck machines. I think at some point they will phase out the RH machines which are a completely different animal(adjustable fixed deck, smaller machine).

The top of the line machine is the Stander ZK. It has bigger engines, bigger pumps/motors, deeper deck, twin fuel tanks, floating deck. I think it does like 13MPH.

Check here for pricing: http://www.wrightmfg.com/uploads/files/SummaryPageforPDFforWeb20120310.pdf

ed2hess
09-06-2012, 10:17 PM
I thought we liked our Wrights but today one came in for pulley failure on the hydro belt. The crew chief took a 10 year snapper 36" wb and said don't be a hurry to get it repaired. I asked why he didn't take the backup Wright and he said the WB are better on small yards. So guess we will be tryign to trade a couple machines soon.

jimjoy12
09-08-2012, 03:27 PM
All mowers have there place and my walkies will always have a place on my trailer

chagh2.0
09-27-2012, 06:21 AM
I do love my stander but this time of year it get hard not to wish for a better way to collect cliping and leaves.

Mowerboy04
09-27-2012, 08:28 AM
My guys love my wright stander 52" RH, it cuts great and i have had 375 problem free hours so far.

On a side not im not a big guy 135lbs and when i run the stander i cant cut with it for the life of me cause im not heavy enough. I get no traction when i go around trees or try to cut hills. Im sure its just me cause my guys have no problem with it.

caseysmowing
09-27-2012, 10:31 AM
My guys love my wright stander 52" RH, it cuts great and i have had 375 problem free hours so far.

On a side not im not a big guy 135lbs and when i run the stander i cant cut with it for the life of me cause im not heavy enough. I get no traction when i go around trees or try to cut hills. Im sure its just me cause my guys have no problem with it.

I have the same mower and I'm 150lbs and it does spin alot and not as good on hills as other standers. I'm getting the newer wheels and tires on mine soon 18x10 I think. Hoping it will help a little. BTW in the manual it says not to let anyone under 150lbs operate it. That tells you it isn't designed for small guys. If the tires don't help I'm gonna add the weight from my v ride to it.

cpllawncare
09-28-2012, 10:43 PM
I do love my stander but this time of year it get hard not to wish for a better way to collect cliping and leaves.

They make baggers for standers too! I just put my gator blades on in the fall easier and faster.

cpllawncare
09-28-2012, 10:46 PM
I have the same mower and I'm 150lbs and it does spin alot and not as good on hills as other standers. I'm getting the newer wheels and tires on mine soon 18x10 I think. Hoping it will help a little. BTW in the manual it says not to let anyone under 150lbs operate it. That tells you it isn't designed for small guys. If the tires don't help I'm gonna add the weight from my v ride to it.

I weigh 160 and have learned to cut pretty well with my GS, I thought about a Wright but sticking with the Toro's for now.

jrs.landscaping
09-30-2012, 07:47 PM
I've demoed an Exmark, I'm not a big fan of their mowers but this one exceeded my expectations. Great handling, QOC and power for a small unit. Hopefully next year we can fit one into the budget.

skimow
10-01-2012, 09:32 PM
I have a brand new 61 inch Great Dane stander deck with casters if interested. :)
Do you still have the 61 great dane surfer deck?