PDA

View Full Version : Fogged up headlights...how to clean up?

Florida Gardener
09-01-2012, 03:20 PM
Anyone have a good product??
Posted via Mobile Device

knox gsl
09-01-2012, 03:51 PM
I have yet to find a great product for cleaning/polishing them. What I did find was a great deal on new lenses at http://www.1aauto.com/. When I ordered mine I got all 4 corners for $160 shipped to replace the fogged up ones on my jeep GC.

Florida Gardener
09-01-2012, 03:55 PM
I have yet to find a great product for cleaning/polishing them. What I did find was a great deal on new lenses at http://www.1aauto.com/. When I ordered mine I got all 4 corners for $160 shipped to replace the fogged up ones on my jeep GC.

Yea, really don't want to spend money to replace, just clean the ones I have...it's a cosmetic thing, not something imperative...
Posted via Mobile Device

knox gsl
09-01-2012, 03:59 PM
I got you, mine were so bad from DIY fixes that didn't work that it had become a safety issue at night.

Florida Gardener
09-01-2012, 04:01 PM
I got you, mine were so bad from DIY fixes that didn't work that it had become a safety issue at night.

Gotchya...if it was that bad...I'd def replace..I wouldn't chince out on safety.
Posted via Mobile Device

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
09-01-2012, 05:42 PM
They seem to have all kinds of kits at the auto parts stores now dor restoring headlight lenses. I havent used any but they all look fairly similar. Someone also told me toothpaste with a sponge will do the trick!
Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
09-01-2012, 06:42 PM
I bought a bottle at Auto Z. It worked pretty well with little effort. I suspect it would do a more complete job with a little elbow grease and time. I do not recall the brand.

Florida Gardener
09-01-2012, 07:58 PM
I bought a bottle at Auto Z. It worked pretty well with little effort. I suspect it would do a more complete job with a little elbow grease and time. I do not recall the brand.

Cool thanks...I'll ask the guys there what they recommend.
Posted via Mobile Device

macgyver_GA
09-02-2012, 02:44 PM
If they are really yellow, it's best to just replace them.

If they are just getting a little foggy then the best solution long term is to wetsand them with 1500 grit, then 2000 grit sandpaper. Then spray them with an automotive clear coat to restore a protective coating on the plastic.

You can also use 3m cutting compound and a machine polisher... DA (dual action/aka orbital) will work, however rotary is best. Then wax them to polish them up.

The reason they yellow is because the factory protective coating on the plastic eventually wears away and the UV rays yellow the plastic.

If you don't want to clear them, you'll just need to wax them about once a month with 2 coats of wax.

Turf Commando
09-02-2012, 09:40 PM
Seems nobody here has restored headlights before.
Here's a write up I did awhile back follow steps and be amazed..
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?21604-Headlight-restoration&highlight=

poolboy
09-03-2012, 07:44 AM
I used a polishing product made by 3M that did a great job on a Nissan frontier.

I've also heard great things from BG, go to bgfindashop.com and find a local shop that offers that service.

Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hortus
09-03-2012, 08:45 AM
Using a sealant afterwards, extends the DIY resto.

No complaints with my GMC lens.

Classic Cuts Lawn Service
09-05-2012, 06:10 PM
i recently went to a local auto parts store and got some product that rain ex makes and de fogged the headlights on my tundra as well as my dad's car. It worked wonders

Blades Lawn Maintenance
09-09-2012, 10:19 PM
I got a kit from autozone that was like $20 and it worked really good,

Turf Commando
09-14-2012, 11:06 PM
If you have glass lenses yellowing isn't a factor. Most over the counter products don't work as stated. 3M and Meguiars are the only kits I'd recommend.
Posted via Mobile Device