PDA

View Full Version : Table saw cut,pull,cut, pull

xtreem3d
09-01-2012, 06:05 PM
If anyone knows more about this explanation can you please share it, I found it interesting

http://www.masonrymagazine.com/6-02/cover.html scroll down to
"It's all in the wrists"
Thanks,
Steve

GreenI.A.
09-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Had to laugh a little at that first sentence. I just cut the side of my favorites boots last week

xtreem3d
09-01-2012, 08:57 PM
hope you have your toes :laugh:

Red Shed Landscaping
09-01-2012, 09:42 PM
I only use a table saw and do what they are mentioning with the pull and cut method. I have done this ever since I started using a saw without any knowledge but just seemed to work the best. I go across the whole paver or block with the blade only scoring it. Then I do this repeatedly only going down a 1/4-1/2" at a time all the way across the cut. I have thought this method was better for the blade like they mention and it also seems faster when you go back and forth. Also less pushing down with your arm.

big daddy b
09-01-2012, 09:52 PM
Cool article, but table saws are old school, out dated.
I only use a table saw when I have to cut 300 4x8's in half, or have a specific repetitive cut on a job, which almost never happens unless it's 4x8 halves.

I'm just as accurate, if not more with a hand held demo saw cutting the bricks in place, dry. Yes, it does suck being bent over for a couple hours cutting the perimeter of a patio in, but much much faster, in my opinion more accurate and looks better.
I've always done it that way, I couldn't imagine it doing it the table saw way with the pull/cut method.

Maybe someday I'll try it for five minutes, until I get frusterated.

xtreem3d
09-01-2012, 09:53 PM
that's how i do it too even with a hand held but I never knew any better.

xtreem3d
09-01-2012, 09:56 PM
Cool article, but table saws are old school, out dated.
I only use a table saw when I have to cut 300 4x8's in half, or have a specific repetitive cut on a job, which almost never happens unless it's 4x8 halves.

I'm just as accurate, if not more with a hand held demo saw cutting the bricks in place, dry. Yes, it does suck being bent over for a couple hours cutting the perimeter of a patio in, but much much faster, in my opinion more accurate and looks better.
I've always done it that way, I couldn't imagine it doing it the table saw way with the pull/cut method.

Maybe someday I'll try it for five minutes, until I get frusterated.

I guess i was thinking more about blocks and caps...but i do it on pavers that I have scribed around existing patio walls too.

big daddy b
09-01-2012, 10:11 PM
ohh yeah I gotcha...
for walls usually we're only splitting the ends, we don't have to cut much block normally.
When we cut caps I use a demo saw too.

DVS Hardscaper
09-02-2012, 12:19 PM
This topic was just discussed a few weeks ago :)

Table saws are far from "old school". Infact, didnt they come out AFTER the handheld saw? :)

I'm seeing in the comments here alotta "I" "I" "I". Thats great when you're a one man operation and you're actually doing the cutting. But when you start having employees - you're in a whole different game. Or when you have employees that are great with the chop saw - then they suddenly quit or you must fire them - you're in a whole different game. With a table saw - losing that champion chop saw cutter won't effect you.

A hardscaper (assuming you're a bonafide hardscape contractor) will own at least one table saw. A hardscaper without a table saw is like a painter without a ladder.

Ryan Homes builds a house in mere weeks. And their quality reflects that. We're not a tract home builder, we're a top notch hardscape contractor. At my small company we market, we preach, we promise, we sell, "perfect" cuts. I have perfect in quotes because my proposal states the word "perfect" in the sentence that addresses our cuts. Thats right folks - my proposal addresses CUTS. And my sales presentation displays photos of our cuts. I take it very seriously.

The cuts are true, they're as perefctly straight (true and plumb) for as clean as the table on the saw is. Ever cut pavers to fit around a round pool skimmer? Maybe one day this winter I'll scan a pic I have of pavers around a round pool skimmer. I'd be interested to see if anyone here has any pics matching or beating it!

A few weeks ago someone was brave enough to post a pic here of their pavers that they cut with a handheld. The line was squiggly and looked just like I warn my prospective clients to be aware of.

With a table saw you can hire a brand new inexperienced laborer tomorrow and have him/her start the day with cutting pavers. There is no learning curve other than to know where your hands and fingers are at all times. Where with a chop saw a brand new inexperienced laborer wont even be able to hold the saw level, let alone know how to start it (if it's a Stihl).

Guys will spend $46k on a brand new pick up truck but they'll use every justification they can think of for reasons not to buy a table saw!!!!! LOL

We own chop saws and 2 table saws. 90% of our cuts are made with the table saw. Craftsmanship.

SVA_Concrete
09-02-2012, 03:23 PM
The plumbness of a cut is crucial to the appearance.

I like to score radius cuts with a chop saw, it seems to jelp align the cut when they are cut on the table.

Straight cuts we either chalk a line and pull for the table saw, or i have been known to run my chop saw along a straight edge in a hurry.
Posted via Mobile Device

SVA_Concrete
09-02-2012, 03:28 PM
I know there are differences of opinion on this as well, but i prefer to lay my soilder or sailor course down on top of the pavers and then mark the back side of the curve, slide them back out of the way.

As the guys are xutting they lay the soilder.

I know i move the soilder 2or times, but i like to look at it and get a gut feeling for how it will lay out.
Posted via Mobile Device