PDA

View Full Version : Algae in nurse tank

DLCS
09-02-2012, 07:42 PM
Is there anyway to keep algae from growing in my nurse tank? The tank has a side bung hole so it doesn't totally drain out without me unstrapping it from the bed of the truck. I don't use it all the time but I do like to leave it in the truck when not in use. Problem comes when that little bit of water starts growing algae. So, is there anything I can do or put in the tank that will stop this or is the only way to totally dry it out everytime?

RigglePLC
09-02-2012, 08:08 PM
Algae do not like copper. A tiny bit of copper-containing fungicide Should take care of it. A bit of bleach or pool chlorine should also work--but--be sure that you don't go too far above the usual concentration in a pool --I think it is about 2 to 4 parts per million.

Ric
09-02-2012, 10:59 PM
Algae do not like copper. A tiny bit of copper-containing fungicide Should take care of it. A bit of bleach or pool chlorine should also work--but--be sure that you don't go too far above the usual concentration in a pool --I think it is about 2 to 4 parts per million.

Chlorine is an OXIDIZER and will kill the Efficacy of your Pesticides if left in the tank. If you use Chlorine, be sure to rinse your tank very well. BTW where you dump the Chlorine water should be a concern. A detention pond where UV sun light can decompose the Chlorine is best.

Copper on the other hand will not or Should not effect the Efficacy of your pesticides. BTW by simply adding Copper the slosh of your tank should break all algae lose and your Filter should screen it out. But if you have heavy Algae be ready to clean your filter a lot. Mildew is pretty much the same and treated the same.

humble1
09-03-2012, 02:04 PM
Chlorine will off gas, so you can circulate it back into the tank, as it splashes back into the tank it will off gas out of the water. Not sure how long it takes but I would only use a small amount of chlorine.

cgaengineer
09-03-2012, 02:38 PM
Household bleach...left in sun with lid off and the chlorine will gas off in a day or two.
Posted via Mobile Device

DUSTYCEDAR
09-03-2012, 02:47 PM
a little bleach does the trick
a little is the key

Ric
09-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Household bleach...left in sun with lid off and the chlorine will gas off in a day or two.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chlorine is actually a "BY PRODUCT" of Poly Vinyl Chloride (PVC). Chemical plants Have large holding ponds just for neutralizing Chlorine. It is exposure to UV Light that turns chlorine inert the quickest.

Sorry But for my money I can't let a Tank sit for 48 or more hours. It is a lot easier to add some Copper and let the tank clean itself as I stay in Production without a lot of effort toward cleaning.

RigglePLC
09-03-2012, 07:30 PM
And I just found out that Quicksilver herbicide can be used to kill algae in turf. Or at least "suppress".
http://www.fmcprosolutions.com/Portals/pest/Content/Docs/Labels/QuickSilver%20T_O%20%2007-07-10%20Commercial%20Label1.pdf

So maybe a bit in the tank would be useful. Quicksilver disrupts cholorphyll synthesis and resulting metabolic byproducts damage cell membranes of susceptible plants.
See the label "Weeds controlled", suppression, Category 5, algae.

Duekster
09-03-2012, 07:33 PM
Glutaraldehyde

CHARLES CUE
09-03-2012, 08:23 PM
I use Copper Algacide used in swimming pool i only use a couple drops. 2 oz does 5000 gl pool. And its easy to get.

Charles Cue

DLCS
09-03-2012, 08:30 PM
I think that I'm goign to try the copper algacide. I don't want to mess with bleach and chlorine. Now the question, how much do i need for a 100 gallon tank? If I remember right from my days of taking care of swimming pools, a little goes a long ways. lol