PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Gas & I wanna give them another 5 gal.

C Jovingo Landscaping
09-03-2012, 07:32 AM
Had 10 gal of gas stolen out of the bed of my truck. I wish it was diesel they stole & dumped in their vehicle. Was thinkin abt putting another 5 gal can in truck with 4.75 gal water & abt .25 gal of gas to float on water or maybe a gas/sugar mix. Or is there a stupid law that would make this illegal for me to do. IE...thief comes back & sues me for damages to vehicle from putting stolen/unknown fluid from my fuel can in their tank.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
09-03-2012, 07:37 AM
No laws preventing you from mixing gas and water for your own use...if someone steals it, that's their fault.
Posted via Mobile Device

C Jovingo Landscaping
09-03-2012, 08:05 AM
My gas was stolen abt 2 wks ago & yesterday morning there was a fuel can on the corner down the street. (Not 1 of mine) So I feel there is someone walkin around at night lookin for gas.
Posted via Mobile Device

luxurylawnsbyJB
09-05-2012, 05:19 AM
I had 25 gallons stollen from my rack in my garage a few years ago and I thought about doing the same thing, putting a mixture of gasoline and chlorine. When telling this to the officer, he said that that would be illegal, "booby-trapping" or intentionally setting something up to do harm to a vehicle. And I could be liable for damages.. WTF!
But they can come and get what they want and there is nothing to do but let them take it.... I did it anyway and the kid down the block started walking 4 days later.. When I saw him pass by the house, I asked him what happened, he told me that his engine rusted from the inside out. I did a little happy dance, as I told him that I never heard of such a thing.

C Jovingo Landscaping
09-05-2012, 05:51 AM
I had 25 gallons stollen from my rack in my garage a few years ago and I thought about doing the same thing, putting a mixture of gasoline and chlorine. When telling this to the officer, he said that that would be illegal, "booby-trapping" or intentionally setting something up to do harm to a vehicle. And I could be liable for damages.. WTF!
But they can come and get what they want and there is nothing to do but let them take it.... I did it anyway and the kid down the block started walking 4 days later.. When I saw him pass by the house, I asked him what happened, he told me that his engine rusted from the inside out. I did a little happy dance, as I told him that I never heard of such a thing.

Wonder if the kid thought..."Was something in 1 of those cans other than gas". If not, he prob didn't learn his lesson. Sure is nice you F'ed his ride up! Lol!
Posted via Mobile Device

Lawn132012
09-05-2012, 01:20 PM
We actually had talked about doing the same thing as our open trailer makes it easy for them to grab and go. Where I have to cut we are parked in not such a great location sometimes. Even when we do get a good parking spot we cut several at a time.

You said ti though you would probably get sued for damaging their car for the STOLEN GAS!!! The law is strange sometimes.

Weekend cut easymoney
09-05-2012, 03:08 PM
We actually had talked about doing the same thing as our open trailer makes it easy for them to grab and go. Where I have to cut we are parked in not such a great location sometimes. Even when we do get a good parking spot we cut several at a time.

You said ti though you would probably get sued for damaging their car for the STOLEN GAS!!! The law is strange sometimes.

do you really think that someone who steals gas is going to go to a lawyer and tell him the story and then sue you?

Now, if your mixture caused some bodily injury, then a lawyer might be interested...but for a few thousand dollars, I would doubt any lawyer would be interested without getting the cash up front-

Dr.NewEarth
09-06-2012, 01:02 PM
I keep every-thing locked up. It's a pain in the butt, but oh well.

Our company is situated on a one acre farm. I caught two Meth. heads in our sheds trying to steal whatever they could to cook up. (the cops gave chase)

I caught them before they stole glyphosate and 2, 4-D that we have stored in the lock-up. Perhaps I should have given them the acetone they missed that was in another shed?

As for equipment and gas locked up in the back of the pick-ups, I have had dirt put into the gas tanks by idiots that couldn't steal any-thing because of the locks and cables.

By the way, the meth heads ventured through a blackberry field and took apart the fence at the back of the compound. It's been repaired and bolstered up now.

Moral of my story? Don't do Meth amphetamine! It will kill you

cgaengineer
09-07-2012, 06:51 AM

Booby trapping would be if you setup a bear trap on top of toilet tank where burglars continue to crawl through window to break in your home. This is called "lying in wait". You mixing gas to your liking or whatever reason you feel is your business.

That cop you talked to is wrong which is not surprising.
Posted via Mobile Device

ClippersLC
09-18-2012, 10:49 AM
I had a punk kid walk up the side of my trailer and up the driver side bed of my truck about 15 months ago and reach over inside the b ed for a 5 gallon gas can with me sitting inside the truck watching him!!!! As soon as he reached in the bed I opened the door and was 12 inches from him as soon as I stepped outta the cab. He immediately dropped to his knees and started crying begging me to not do anything. Now I keep a 2 1/2 gallon bait can right inside the bed easily reach full of muratic acid and water(1/3 is water)! I also have in sharpie written on the side of the can "dangerous contents wear protection when handling" according to my neighbor who is a lawyer I've taken precautions to warn the idiots so it can't be pinned on me when it burns their skin off... I do some minor brick work repair so I have to have the muratic acid to clean brick. See I have an alibi. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

adam.neusbaum
09-18-2012, 10:58 PM
Just had to say, I'm inspired by all these wonderful suggestions & headed outside to mix up a little concoction myself. Thanks! How else can you pay $10 for such satisfaction & who knew that having a gas can stolen could bring so much heart-felt joy?

adam.neusbaum
09-18-2012, 11:12 PM
Sure hope they go for it. Not sure if I used enough fuel in my mixture. Was already a diesel can that had some DIESEL 911 residue leftover. Maybe they'll think that there's just an additive to the gasoline, they could say that again.

TriCountyLawn
09-18-2012, 11:13 PM
Yea this is the good stuff on LS, Tainted gas, round up ice cubes and coat hangers. I love learning new things.

knox gsl
09-18-2012, 11:16 PM
What do coat hangers do?
Posted via Mobile Device

TriCountyLawn
09-18-2012, 11:19 PM
Run em over with mower and you tell me

adam.neusbaum
09-18-2012, 11:44 PM
Im not going to go out & look for trouble in any sense only if it comes by my way & needs addressing otherwise im just as trashy & I wouldn't expect the trashy types to be hanging around Lawnsite.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
09-19-2012, 12:35 AM
Run em over with mower and you tell me

Just chops em up in little pieces...I've hit dog cables, chains and other wire...just digest it and spits it out.
Posted via Mobile Device

TriCountyLawn
09-19-2012, 09:36 AM
Just chops em up in little pieces...I've hit dog cables, chains and other wire...just digest it and spits it out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Man lucky you, while I have had a few things spit out that I never imagined would have. I hit a long long long dog run cable that fell down once. A mess. The worse was like a 3' steel cable with loops on each end. Got wrapped up in there big time and threw the deck belt. :hammerhead:

adam.neusbaum
09-19-2012, 11:17 AM
Once I cut a 20" circle from industrial grade expanded metal & welded to the Dixie Chopper Magic Mulcher which attaches to the blade. At about 2700 r.pm.s the steel stretched & come to a screeching stop. Oops! Scratched the whole idea of having a moving/mulching deck ceiling.
Posted via Mobile Device

charmill26
10-08-2012, 04:15 PM
I got my hedge trimmers chainsaws and my straight gas can stolen last week (they left the mixed gas). I have filled up an old gas can with gas, bleach, and water and set it next to my mixed gas or near my trailer every night. I feel like I'm fishing waiting for a good catch!

RussellB
10-08-2012, 04:28 PM
Whatever happened to the good old days of just securing your equipment. Do you all leave your front door unlocked when no one is at home?

adam.neusbaum
10-08-2012, 04:36 PM
Interpretation of "Good 'Ol Days" doesn't add up. Those were the time we didn't have to lock it all up. Besides, a good pair of bolt cutters & security is breeched. We're going after the source with our poisoned bait. A long lasting impression will do more good than the strongest lock. Step in a fire ant mound once & you wont do it again.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sprinkler Buddy
10-08-2012, 04:48 PM
What a great idea, those punks will be back for more. Give them some! :)

THEGOLDPRO
10-08-2012, 04:56 PM
I have popped atleast 3 mower tires from coat hangers.

WorldsStrongestLandscaper
10-08-2012, 05:29 PM
What do coat hangers do?
Posted via Mobile Device

One of my men ended up with one on the wire coat hangers stuck through the back of his Achilles tendon :(. That's what coat hangers can do.
Posted via Mobile Device

DiyDave
10-09-2012, 07:55 AM
Back to the original post, I prefer humiliation, to actual damage. I use a urine/gas mixture, in my steal can, as long as I don't eat too much asparagus, or beets, urine looks just the same color as gas!

GreenI.A.
10-11-2012, 11:27 PM
Thought I would share this with you all. Last week I met up with a budy for lunch and had my truck parked beside the pizza joint. We watched as two teens looked in my bed then looked around. They took 2 of the 4 five gallon red fuel cans and ftarted filling their older(mid 90's) maxima. My body was about to run out side and kick their *****, but I stopped him. The fuel was diesel, I didn't have my transfer tank or yellow fuel jugs with me so I just used the red cans. They ended up taking off after they got about 9-10 gallons, they got scared off when another guy left the resteraunt, I assume they thought it was his truck. Watching them steal $45-50 worth of diesel from me was worth knowing that their repair bill will be more than the cars worth.

Keith
10-12-2012, 12:06 AM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=358707

willshome
10-13-2012, 05:03 PM
I write my name on everything. It helps a little

alexschultz1
10-16-2012, 03:24 PM
i was doing work in bankhead atlanta (not a good part of town to say the least). The highschool let out and before I knew what happened a group of kids walked by my truck and snagged my hedge trimmers out of the back and started running away. I had no option but to just sit in traffic and watch as they ran. I wasnt about to leave everything else up for the taking.

adam.neusbaum
10-16-2012, 03:32 PM
No handgun?
Posted via Mobile Device

lalllc
10-16-2012, 04:49 PM
I bought a blue can and filled it with kerosene. they took it and used it. kid down the street, his car sat in his drive all summer. I say I am money ahead. I never told him to put it in his car, it was kerosene. they had to clean out all of the kerosene from the car and the boy had to tell his dad why there was kerosene in the tank. lol

cgaengineer
10-16-2012, 06:12 PM
No handgun?
Posted via Mobile Device

I promise had they heard "pop..pop...pop pop pop" he would still have his hedge trimmer.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
10-16-2012, 06:13 PM
I write my name on everything. It helps a little

Mine have the name "Stihl" on them ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

adam.neusbaum
10-16-2012, 06:57 PM
It's been 2 weeks & no takers of my water/gas blend & I need to use the can. Recently installed security cameras & was hoping to spot them taking it. Sam's Club Samsung was $499 for 4 cameras & hard-drive then $170 for a 29" tv.
A camera system is so handy. I heard a knock on the door at 4:40 a.m. Sunday but by the time I was dressed & hesitantly made my way there the knocker was gone. I reviewed the previous 15 minutes to see that it was the neighbor lady that has dementia. Called her to check in. Was nice to remove any anxiety from my mind.
Posted via Mobile Device

herler
12-03-2012, 09:26 PM
Actually...
Just between us, dumping diesel in a tank destined for a gasoline engine does little real harm, it likely won't run real smooth and it will smell a bit odd and it may even not run at all but the diesel does no permanent mechanical damage to a gasoline engine.

Diesel is basically very low octane gasoline.
No, a gasoline engine can't and won't run on straight diesel.
But the oily fuel does no actual harm to the engine.
All right, it might foul a plug or three.

It can appear to the inexperienced driver that serious harm has occured.
But it has not.
The inexperienced driver may end up with a large repair bill, too.
But that is nobody's fault but theirs.

If a gasoline tank is full of diesel, draining it is the only option.
It's not hard to do, annoying, time consuming, but not hard.
If they didn't put that much in, adding super unleaded to the F mark fixes it.

So, mixing diesel where there should be gasoline, good for some laughs, no harm done.

Now, putting gasoline through a diesel engine is a different story.

Pierre2013
06-16-2013, 06:42 PM
Had 10 gal of gas stolen out of the bed of my truck. I wish it was diesel they stole & dumped in their vehicle. Was thinkin abt putting another 5 gal can in truck with 4.75 gal water & abt .25 gal of gas to float on water or maybe a gas/sugar mix. Or is there a stupid law that would make this illegal for me to do. IE...thief comes back & sues me for damages to vehicle from putting stolen/unknown fluid from my fuel can in their tank.
Posted via Mobile Device

Never mix water and gas. Use SUGAR instead. Water will greatly reduce the damages done and consequently, repair costs. Sugar (one cup of granulated white sugar per 5 gallons (19 litres)) should ensure a repair bill in excess of $2,000 for mid size cars. You might as well go for 2 or 3 cups of sugar since this 5 gal will likely be diluted in a 20 gal tank.

The damage done will be gradual over time and at one point, the engine will turn off while the car is being used. Water in the tank would likely act very quickly (minutes or seconds) and most likely will prevent the car from going anywhere.

Sugar is a LOT more fun...

alldayrj
06-16-2013, 09:15 PM
What does the sugar actually do? Clog the filter or...?

Pierre2013
06-16-2013, 10:21 PM
What does the sugar actually do? Clog the filter or...?

In a car, you will end up with 'sugar-coated fuel injectors" ;)

After adding (sufficient) sugar to the gas tank of a car, the fuel injectors will be gradually covered with a thick and very hard layer of crap. One might be able to use the car for days before the engine goes dead. So one could be driving at 70mph on a highway, leaving a parking spot, or passing another vehicle in heavy traffic and bang! No more engine power, no more power steering and no more power brakes. The engine will shut down as the fuel injectors will be 100% clogged preventing gas to reach the engine.

Proper repairs usually means a new gas tank, as well as everything between the tank up to and including the fuel injectors.

Btw, after further consideration, one cup might be enough. Make sure it is completely diluted within the gas container.

P.S. That's why I always have gas caps requiring a key...

OakNut
06-16-2013, 10:35 PM
I can tell you that if you ever fill your tank at a gas station and get "mostly water", you will not get more than about 50' away from the pump.

Happened to me years ago. There was a terrible storm and apparently the ground tank cap was either missing, or cracked and their underground storage tank took on a lot of water.

I had the car towed to the garage and they said "We found your problem - the gas tank is filled with water!"

I called the gas station and without any hesitation they said, "Bring us the repair bill and we will reimburse you - this happened to several people."
I did, and they counted out several hundred dollars in cash without question, and with a sincere apology.

I haven't left a gas station without a receipt once since the day that happened just in case I ever need to prove a case of having purchased "bad gas".

Pierre2013
06-16-2013, 11:20 PM
Once I filled up at a gas station while it was pouring rain. After I left the gas station the engine lost power for a fraction of a second 5-10 times. I was on my way home, only 3 miles to drive. As soon as I arived home I poured a bottle of STP Complete Fuel System Cleaner in the tank and the problem was gone.