PDA

View Full Version : Crepe Myrtle or Crape Myrtle

kirk1701
09-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Guys I'm thinking of three White Crape Myrtle's to go across the front of the house. As I research I'm seeing the two names come up is there a difference or used interchangeably?

Also, want the tree not the bush.

agrostis
09-04-2012, 12:43 PM
Guys I'm thinking of three White Crape Myrtle's to go across the front of the house. As I research I'm seeing the two names come up is there a difference or used interchangeably?

Also, want the tree not the bush.

"Crepe" myrtle is the proper way to spell that.

coolbrze
09-05-2012, 08:26 AM
It's commonly spelled both ways. For a white CM, Natchez grow to ~20 tall & are nice specimens.

kirk1701
09-05-2012, 10:27 AM
It's commonly spelled both ways. For a white CM, Natchez grow to ~20 tall & are nice specimens.

The Natchez, white is what I'm looking at ;)

Think Green
09-07-2012, 08:14 PM
Kirk,
Violin or Fiddle.............Vase or vase...........Engine or motor.........It depends on where you are around the Mason Dixie Line.
I really hate to hear the phrase motor relating to an engine by the way.

The white Crepe Myrtle is beautiful but in my area, it isn't hardy enough to endure the odd weather patterns. The red, dynamite, pink is the best for my area.

Florida Gardener
09-07-2012, 08:27 PM
Lagerstroemia indica...that will end the discussion. Common names are just that, common.
Posted via Mobile Device

kirk1701
09-07-2012, 11:43 PM
Kirk,
Violin or Fiddle.............Vase or vase...........Engine or motor.........It depends on where you are around the Mason Dixie Line.
I really hate to hear the phrase motor relating to an engine by the way.

The white Crepe Myrtle is beautiful but in my area, it isn't hardy enough to endure the odd weather patterns. The red, dynamite, pink is the best for my area.

We have some of the pink up around the house we bought from henryfields last spring, going to get some more next spring to add to the ones up near the house as the others seem to have done real well and we like them

The ones up near the house will provide some shade for the house eventually.

Found a nursery locally to get some white ones 4 feet tall for about $35 each and hopefully, unlike the dogwoods that died the Crape Myrtles will uptake iron in the clay soil.

The whole area is clay and dogwoods are everywhere and so are the crape myrtles. My luck they will die out too "knock on wood". :laugh:

rreyn1812
09-08-2012, 09:02 AM
How close to the house?? Our state horticulturist doesn't recommend any closer than 5 feet from the house. I don't think there is any difference between the "bush" and "tree," but to obtain a "tree" style you have to prune them properly and consistently to get them to grow the way you want. That being said, if I want a "tree" style, I try to select one that is already growing generally the way I want (with only one or two major trunks). It then becomes easier to "train" them. I did the same thing with pretty good luck on a couple of the Natchez white varieties that I planted in my front yard.

Duekster
09-08-2012, 09:46 AM
Natchez trees up well. I have one about 10 foot from the house and it shades well.

I trim lower limbs and can walk under it. It is starting to get a litte crowed by my Red Oak. However the Red oak is getting crowdered by the house, drive and street so I am not sure how much bigger it will get.

kirk1701
09-08-2012, 11:13 AM
How close to the house?? Our state horticulturist doesn't recommend any closer than 5 feet from the house. I don't think there is any difference between the "bush" and "tree," but to obtain a "tree" style you have to prune them properly and consistently to get them to grow the way you want. That being said, if I want a "tree" style, I try to select one that is already growing generally the way I want (with only one or two major trunks). It then becomes easier to "train" them. I did the same thing with pretty good luck on a couple of the Natchez white varieties that I planted in my front yard.

Actually, I put them way too close to the sidewalk, LOL but are about 10 feet away from the house. If I knew I wouldn't put them through a shock I'd dig the 3 we have up and split the difference between the hose and sidewalk. These aren't big, 10" high when we set them out in the spring.

I've been wondering how to tell the difference between the tree and bush so that's the trick ey? Thanks. The 10" ones we got from Henry Fields do just have one trunk right now so will be easy to train.

Natchez trees up well. I have one about 10 foot from the house and it shades well.

I trim lower limbs and can walk under it. It is starting to get a litte crowed by my Red Oak. However the Red oak is getting crowdered by the house, drive and street so I am not sure how much bigger it will get.

Ok great, and the ones next to the sidewalk are the 10" we got so that will solve that problem now. http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k292/abs724/Smilies%20Hut/clap1.gif

http://www.henryfields.com/product/Hardy-Crape-Myrtle/flowering_trees

By the way, what do you recomend fertilizing them with?

jkingrph
09-13-2012, 01:19 PM
Found a nursery locally to get some white ones 4 feet tall for about $35 each and hopefully, unlike the dogwoods that died the Crape Myrtles will uptake iron in the clay soil.

Go online and you can probably find some in 4' range for as little as $8 each.

Look here

http://www.crapemyrtles.com/

I got some 4 years ago and now they are 10 to 12 feet tall, and have been top trimmed to help them form a more wide spreading form. Some are single trunks others double or triple for variety

Plant properly, dig a big hole and amend soil with large amounts or potting soil and some pine bark chips , fertilize and water well the first couple of years and you will see sometimes 3 to 4 feet of growth/year in the first year or two. Trunks on mine now are 3 to 4" in diameter. and we went through an extremely hot and dry summer last year, over 60 days straight over 100 degrees and something like 30" below normal rainfall for the year.. Crepe myrtles are still doing great.

Honestly it is not smart to pay that kind of price. At the time I bought mine I got enough so the price was in the mid $5 each and all had single straight trunks with a diameter about like my little finger. They do grow fast and good, just be sure to keep watered the first year or two.

kirk1701
09-13-2012, 05:24 PM
Go online and you can probably find some in 4' range for as little as $8 each.

Look here

http://www.crapemyrtles.com/

I got some 4 years ago and now they are 10 to 12 feet tall, and have been top trimmed to help them form a more wide spreading form. Some are single trunks others double or triple for variety

Plant properly, dig a big hole and amend soil with large amounts or potting soil and some pine bark chips , fertilize and water well the first couple of years and you will see sometimes 3 to 4 feet of growth/year in the first year or two. Trunks on mine now are 3 to 4" in diameter. and we went through an extremely hot and dry summer last year, over 60 days straight over 100 degrees and something like 30" below normal rainfall for the year.. Crepe myrtles are still doing great.

Honestly it is not smart to pay that kind of price. At the time I bought mine I got enough so the price was in the mid $5 each and all had single straight trunks with a diameter about like my little finger. They do grow fast and good, just be sure to keep watered the first year or two.

THANKS jkingrph!!!!!!
Just called and ordered, I'm tired of screwing with the locals who think your no body unless your spending $1,000

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k292/abs724/Smilies%20Hut/thanks.gif

I've called about 9 nurseries and its either $125 each or "we can get them" but I'll have to call you back and you never get a call back.

I ordered the 6 Natchez for $80 and should have next Thursday.

So excited http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k292/abs724/Smilies%20Hut/jump2.gif