PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for vertical privacy foliage in Northeast Florida

shawnleary
09-03-2012, 02:01 PM
Love this site! Finally found a site where professional know-how is available and can't help but get sucked into the professional back and forth man-drama that permeates some of the threads.

I want to plant trees or shrubs for my back yard to add some privacy. Below are attached pics. Any suggestions of what trees to plant that would not lose leaves in winter. I want to keep the privacy year round. I want to plant along that back fence and perhaps one along the left/road fence. The back fence is 70' long. Any suggestions or another site you would frequent to tackle this?

Thanks in advance!

http://oi50.tinypic.com/34qut1g.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/2dvpkt2.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/2q9cavn.jpg

jvanvliet
09-04-2012, 06:50 AM
Ficus, Cocoplum, Podocarpus... as hedge material.

Don't know of any decidous tree that won't drop leaves at some point, even conifers will drop needles.

I suggest going to your local extension for plantings indigenous to your area.

bugsNbows
09-04-2012, 10:58 AM
For something different, I'd suggest you research some of the clumping bamboo varieties. There are several that are plenty hardy enough for your locale. They certainly grow fast and most have few issues. Perhaps something like Golden Goddess, Blue Timber, Emerald Timber, Buddha Belly, Silverstripe, etc. Just a thought. :dancing:

Ric
09-04-2012, 12:06 PM
For something different, I'd suggest you research some of the clumping bamboo varieties. There are several that are plenty hardy enough for your locale. They certainly grow fast and most have few issues. Perhaps something like Golden Goddess, Blue Timber, Emerald Timber, Buddha Belly, Silverstripe, etc. Just a thought. :dancing:

I didn't think any Bamboo varieties were very Cold Hardy so I learned something. I am also thinking PBS has done Landscaping shows with a Guy from Jacksonville named P. Allen Smith. A possible search on the PBS website for is shows might find the perfect plant.

Viburnum or Silver Buttonwood might work. What I use here in South Florida won't work that far North. I use Areca Palms but I think they will freeze back each winter in Jacksonville.

bugsNbows
09-04-2012, 04:39 PM
Yea Ric, Arecas would be a no-go up there. Several of the bamboo varieties can easily handle winter there. Shoot, a person could even do an UHD (ultra high density) planting of various small - medium ornamental trees for that desired effect. For example, I planted a row of about 8 Mag trees on 10' centers along my back property line. In essence, I now have a 25' tall Mag hedge...which has grown together nicely. Creativity, my friend, is what it's all about. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Ric
09-04-2012, 07:04 PM
Yea Ric, Arecas would be a no-go up there. Several of the bamboo varieties can easily handle winter there. Shoot, a person could even do an UHD (ultra high density) planting of various small - medium ornamental trees for that desired effect. For example, I planted a row of about 8 Mag trees on 10' centers along my back property line. In essence, I now have a 25' tall Mag hedge...which has grown together nicely. Creativity, my friend, is what it's all about. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Arecas are Cheap ,fast and easy. I can Buy 4 ft OA Arecas for peanuts and have totally privacy in the first season. South Florida We don't freeze so I am out of my elements North of a Line from Palm Beach to Brownsville Texas.

Yep South Florida is easy when it comes to Privacy plantings. Fact is our year round growing season give more Privacy than the customer wanted. Ultra High Density planting is actually practiced more by Mistake than design. I am a strong believer in LESS IS MORE when it comes to Landscape design.

Speaking of UHD I do like a trellis or topiary of vining plants like Mandeville, Brown Bud Allamanda. Bougainvillea and Wisteria etc. Each has a different Texture and slightly different color. Of course the flowers are totally different. Newer Fiberglas Trellis hold up 3 time as long as the old wood ones and can out last the design life.

mjlcare2
09-04-2012, 07:27 PM
Viburnum.. water and fert the heck out of em the first year and they grow pretty quick.. will do just fine in Jax.. I've used it many times in the Orange Park area of Jax for privacy hedge..

Florida Gardener
09-04-2012, 08:21 PM
Arecas are Cheap ,fast and easy. I can Buy 4 ft OA Arecas for peanuts and have totally privacy in the first season. South Florida We don't freeze so I am out of my elements North of a Line from Palm Beach to Brownsville Texas.

Yep South Florida is easy when it comes to Privacy plantings. Fact is our year round growing season give more Privacy than the customer wanted. Ultra High Density planting is actually practiced more by Mistake than design. I am a strong believer in LESS IS MORE when it comes to Landscape design.

Speaking of UHD I do like a trellis or topiary of vining plants like Mandeville, Brown Bud Allamanda. Bougainvillea and Wisteria etc. Each has a different Texture and slightly different color. Of course the flowers are totally different. Newer Fiberglas Trellis hold up 3 time as long as the old wood ones and can out last the design life.

While I agree Arecas are cheap, Arecas are cheap. Yes you get privacy, but you also get an ugly palm that needs a lot of fert and maintenance. Vines are good, but mandevilla is a pita and looks like crum in the winter. Bougie is good, but again, a lot of maintenance. This gentleman is a homeowner who I'm sure wants as little maintenance as possible. Do NOT do fichus, maintenance nightmare. If you can do caryotas(fishtail palm) and have them be five with the cold, I would do that. Less maintenance vs Arecas, more appealing, etc. if you want formal hedge, awabuki viburnum is good, but be prepared to hand prun them. Trimmer looks like garbage on them. Cocoplum is good too, but again, not sure if it works in north Florida. Whatever you look at, make sure to see the overall height and maintenance requirement. That is a big area to plant and if you pick the wrong plant, you will be kicking yourself in the rear.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
09-04-2012, 08:23 PM

I also agree with less is more. Great point. So many landscapes here are overplanted and look like a jungle after 6 months.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
09-04-2012, 08:27 PM
Where in n fl are you? Coast? Interior? Floridata says that caryotas will do ok in the warm parts of zone 9. Will handle light frosts only...sounds like its not going to work.
Posted via Mobile Device

Weekend cut easymoney
09-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Yaupon holly work in Florida?
or Wax Myrtle--grows really fast-no leaf drop and cheap--

i think I got the right photo--

Florida Gardener
09-04-2012, 08:34 PM

Yup, both of those work in fl...I believe all of Florida...
Posted via Mobile Device

shawnleary
09-05-2012, 05:22 AM

I like this idea. They do grow well down here. Thanks

shawnleary
09-05-2012, 05:24 AM

This was actually my thought as well. The height with continuous density is my number one factor. Appreciate it

shawnleary
09-05-2012, 05:27 AM
Viburnum.. water and fert the heck out of em the first year and they grow pretty quick.. will do just fine in Jax.. I've used it many times in the Orange Park area of Jax for privacy hedge..

Need privacy immediately so not sure how large of a hedge/shrub I can buy or how long I want to wait. Thanks

shawnleary
09-05-2012, 05:28 AM
Where in n fl are you? Coast? Interior? Floridata says that caryotas will do ok in the warm parts of zone 9. Will handle light frosts only...sounds like its not going to work.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ten miles inland off 9a/Gate Pkwy

shawnleary
09-05-2012, 05:29 AM

I did see Wax Myrtle as an option. I need to research height and growth rate. thanks.

Duekster
09-05-2012, 06:13 AM
I like cypress for a living wall but I do not know what works well in your area.

Bamboo should be in containers or have something blocking them from spreading.

Hortus
09-05-2012, 08:23 AM
I may have missed it, but is OP removing the fence for proposed planting?

Another vote for less is more, as well as integrating architectural (trellis, arbor, ect.) for help in screening and interest. Grouping of plant material logistically on property for screening but adds an open feeling for the owner, as compared to a long length of hedge.

Leyland Cypress offers many of the aspects the OP is looking for, specifically along that back fence. There's newer hybrid varieties that have several color variations (silvers, lime greens for example) and offer better pest resistance and growth habits in contrast to the original species, but also is fast growing. Arizona Cypress is another option to inter-plant.

Utilizing the neighbors existing landscapes will help with the budget, which I interpret the homeowner recognizes in the post. Keep in mind that fast growing means less stability.

Yaupon holly varieties are also good options, but much slower growth.

bugsNbows
09-05-2012, 08:57 AM
I like cypress for a living wall but I do not know what works well in your area.

Bamboo should be in containers or have something blocking them from spreading.

Nope. Clumping varieties of bamboo do not create over spreading issues. Running varieties can and do however.

Duekster
09-05-2012, 09:01 AM
Fair enough but if you decide you do not like it, how hard is it to remove?

Weekend cut easymoney
09-05-2012, 09:02 AM
Nope. Clumping varieties of bamboo do not create over spreading issues. Running varieties can and do however.

Those 'clumping' varieties must be a guarded secret, I never seem to run into them here in Texas--I hear about them though--

the_bug_guy
10-16-2012, 08:56 PM
Why not Georgia. Pines? Then u have all the pine straw for your beds.

shawnleary
10-19-2012, 11:36 PM
Why not Georgia. Pines? Then u have all the pine straw for your beds.

Great idea. How close could I plant them together. Really looking for a wall to block view up the second floor into the home and pool.

Thanks
Shawn

the_bug_guy
10-20-2012, 02:38 PM
about 8 feet apart