PDA

View Full Version : wild violets vs herbicide

RigglePLC
09-03-2012, 08:27 PM
I tested 5 herbicides on wild violets in my neighbors lawn with his OK, (Thank you). Week was dry; high temps about 85. In order of effectiveness at 48 hours, Quicksilver was most effective, Followed by T-Zone, Speedzone, Confront and Drive.
I will try to check the results again in about 10 days to better understand which products work best long-term.

Since Quicksilver is supposed to have mainly contact action--I am not sure if the roots or underground stems would be affected.

dougaustreim
09-03-2012, 09:02 PM
Keep us posted Violet is one of the toughest weeds we encounter

McFarland_Lawn_Care
09-03-2012, 09:40 PM
I'm about to tackle a bunch of it in a few lawns. We are already seeing cooler temps up here so I think I'll give t-zone a shot. Thanks for the tests, Riggle. I always read your posts.

DUSTYCEDAR
09-03-2012, 09:45 PM
surge seems to work ok

RigglePLC
09-14-2012, 12:14 PM
After 14 days, T-Zone is still the most effective. Quicksilver is highly effective, but some regrowth of new leaves has occurred. Speedzone is in third place. Drive was fairly effective, followed by Surge and Confront.

Spurge was resistant to most products, but was killed by a combination of T-Zone and Speedzone, both full strength.

Drive was effective on a clump of crabgrass.

phillie
09-14-2012, 10:28 PM
I have noticed that Q4 at least knocks the leaves down in the heat and if followed by t=zpne in the fall you will be golden. Q4 also kicks spurge's butt also. In the t-zone pic a few of the grass blades appear to have possible herb damage. I could be wrong as it is a pic and not in person. Have you noticed any turf damage from t-zone?

RigglePLC
09-15-2012, 11:14 AM
Not sure, but there may have been some slight turf injury from the T-Zone.

Drive had no visible affect on goosegrass.

jfoxtrot9
09-15-2012, 01:13 PM
Love your experiments. Thank you!

Not on the list, I have had very good results with Momentum FX2.

plc87
09-16-2012, 08:54 PM
good test... I'll be blanket spraying two different yards full of violets and ground ivy followed by a two week later spot spray then another blanket spray two weeks later. Hopefully this cleans them up completely. They haven't been touched by a herbicide for years and are absolutely chocked full of weeds. Going to use t zone through my t3000.

SOONER GREEN
09-26-2012, 09:50 PM
My bet is on Confront when its all said and done.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
09-26-2012, 09:52 PM
Ahhh violets, northerners scourge.

Keep in mind during the hot and dry of summertime, there isn't a chemical on the market that will even curl violets. Tough suckers they are.

jjensen
09-27-2012, 03:44 AM
Ahhh violets, northerners scourge.

Keep in mind during the hot and dry of summertime, there isn't a chemical on the market that will even curl violets. Tough suckers they are.
Posted via Mobile Device

jjensen
09-27-2012, 03:55 AM
Posted via Mobile DeviceHi DA. I have had great luck spot spraying with crossroads this summer. So far the lawns are still clean. That added Triclopyr really does the job. Started using it once I found out it had a supplement for turf use.
Posted via Mobile Device

DA Quality Lawn & YS
09-27-2012, 03:32 PM
Posted via Mobile DeviceHi DA. I have had great luck spot spraying with crossroads this summer. So far the lawns are still clean. That added Triclopyr really does the job. Started using it once I found out it had a supplement for turf use.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks hadn't heard of that one yet.

I'll bet the fall foliage is really beautiful up your way right now. Wife and I took a trip up north a couple years back in October to do some biking and hiking. Spectacular fall scenery.

jjensen
09-27-2012, 06:17 PM
Thanks hadn't heard of that one yet.

I'll bet the fall foliage is really beautiful up your way right now. Wife and I took a trip up north a couple years back in October to do some biking and hiking. Spectacular fall scenery.
Posted via Mobile Device

jjensen
09-27-2012, 06:27 PM
Right now the hardwoods are on fire with color. 65-70 this weekend with light winds. The north shore on Lake Superior will be very busy with people coming to see our beautifull area. Just finished with my last round. Very good year considering how dry it was after that 13" of rain in a day and a half. The Turfco XT-5 I got this year at the green expo is working well
Posted via Mobile Device