PDA

View Full Version : Redoing lawn

coolbrze
09-04-2012, 05:24 PM
We have a 2,600 sq. ft. area in a lawn we're redoing. It's got some weeds (Spurge) and a lot of bare spots. We're going to till, rake out all the debris & rocks, top-dress w/ compost or Orgro/Compro, seed, then straw). This area gets moderate to full sun. What's the best seed Lesco sells for this? Will we need an additional starter fertilizer or does this seed have it on it? For 2,600 sq. ft. we'll need ~26 bales of straw (1 bale/100 sq. ft.), correct?

grandview (2006)
09-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Go with a landscape mix.rye,fesue,bluegrass.

Turboguy
09-05-2012, 07:47 AM
Fertilizer is not packed in with the seed. You need to apply that seperately. I would suggest a high phosphorus starter fertilizer.

You should get about 500 sq. ft. from a bale of straw. Maybe just a bit less shaking it by hand. Figure about 350 max.

As far as the seed, what Grandview suggested should be good. He is a little further north than you are so it may be more suited to his area than yours but still ok. I will stay non-commital on the seed and see if someone close to you suggests something different. The blend Grandview suggests is about the same as what I use in PA. You may want to be lighter on the bluegrass and heavier on the fescues there or even might consider Bermuda but I would rather see someone close to you weigh in on the seed.

RigglePLC
09-05-2012, 09:07 PM
I agree with Turbo; I suspect you are in tall fescue country. First determine why the grass is thin. Is it a shade problem? Disease? Was it hot and dry where you are? Burnout? Is the site irrigated? If not corrected, it could happen again. Maybe you are best with Bermuda or zoysia. Avoid rye, if temps often reach above 90. Be sure it has some Kentucky bluegrass at about 10 percent--as this adds self-repair abilities.
Maybe this TTTF blend would suit your site:
http://www.royaltonsupply.com/products/index.php/products/lesco-team-mates-plus-fescue-blend

coolbrze
09-06-2012, 08:13 PM
Thanks guys, sorry should have mentioned that, Tall Fescue is by far the predominant turf here in NOVA. Correct Riggle, very hot & dry: full sun + no water, no TLC, needs aerated & everything, soil analysis already done. New owners are now looking to have a nice lawn. Already referred an irrigation contractor should they want a sprinkler system. We purchased a few bags of Winning Colors Tall Fescue blend & a bag of 16-26-10 starter fertilizer. As a matter of fact, the soil is a little too acidic & needs lime, can we apply at the same time or a month later?

RigglePLC
09-08-2012, 09:36 AM
Lime shoud be applied about a month before or after fertilizer. For a small yard...sod is quick and easy. Instant results and beautiful. Accept the check and go.