PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Snapper Pro S50XT as my first ZTR mower for my yard and a side business

Nikodemus
09-05-2012, 12:42 PM
Hi all, first post here. I've been browsing this site for a while though and getting myself in a bit of information overload I believe. I try not to post on a forum until I've tried researching all I can first though. Sorry if the grammar is bad, I teach math so grammar wasn't my favorite subject.

As the title suggests, I am looking at getting a zero turn mower for my yard as well as my grandparents. Overall its a little over 2 acres of cutting for both yards combined. The land is flat except for very minor ditches and random bumps and uneven soil, nothing very drastic. I am also considering starting a summer job of cutting grass to supplement my income with a friend of mine as we are both teachers and have summers off. Even if I don't cut many lawns on the side or if it falls through, I still feel like buying a commercial mower is the smarter option.

I am looking at the Snapper Pro S50XT at a dealer about 35 miles away. It has a 19HP Kawasaki motor, 48" ICD deck, 3100 transmissions, etc for $4999. I'll attempt to add a link lower for more info if needed. Talking with the owner of the family run business, who seemed very nice and honest, he told me it was full commercial. For the price, if it is full commercial and has good parts it seems like a good deal to me. Most of the other full commercial mowers I have seen have been in the 5k and up range, even some of the high end home owner models have been higher at some places.

My question is, has anyone had any experience with the Snapper Pro models, in particular this one? Does this seem like a good deal? Are the specs good enough for my needs? Any reason to go bigger or higher end? Sorry for all the questions, but it's my first purchase on a ZTR and I'm the type to agonize over big ticket purchases. I'm also going to take a look at another few dealerships to compare as well, just haven't had time to take my grandfather up there as well. He wants me to look at John Deere, but from what I've read they aren't up to par for the money with some other brands...not knocking them though as we have a regular lawn tractor we use now and its been good. Any other recommendations in this range is appreciated as well.

Sorry for the size of the post, just wanted to give all the information needed.

Nikodemus
09-07-2012, 11:57 AM
I hope the size of my post isn't keeping people from posting.

Just a little update, went to the John Deere dealership, who also sells exMark, and they didn't even recommend the Deere's. They said the exMarks were better but they mainly had high end home owner models.

Going in a little bit to look at Toro's at one place and I think the other place has Gravely and Kabota, maybe a few others.

Any input is appreciated, I'm a nervous first time buyer.

antv20
09-07-2012, 01:53 PM
A lot of commercial guys recommend Exmark. Toro and Exmark are the same company. Gravely is another popular brand along with Scag. Real question is how much $$$ are you wanting to spend. Also, what series of engine is on the Snapper? If going Kawasaki, then the FX series is the commercial series.

I am in the same boat you are. Roughly 2 acre mowing area. I had set my budget at around 5K but after visiting dealers realized that for another 1-2K I could get a heavier duty unit.

Next thing to keep in mind is the dealer. No matter what brand they all typically use same engine and transmission manufacturers. Dealer service is the critical component.

Nikodemus
09-07-2012, 02:42 PM
The engine is a FX600V, so I'm assuming it's the commercial series. I was a but concerned it was a little small for a 48" cut, but I hear UT should be sufficient.

I'm trying to decide if it's worth spending more to go to the bad boy czt series. Not sure if there's 1k worth of improvements.
Posted via Mobile Device

antv20
09-07-2012, 03:53 PM
I would skip the CZT series and go for the Outlaw. Seems to be better bang for the buck.

Have you looked at Snapper Pro 150 series? There is a local dealer here selling a 52 in S150xt for $6000. Gets you a 26 HP Kawasaki and 5400 transmission.

Nikodemus
09-07-2012, 08:08 PM
I'd love to have the 150 at that price, but I think they are closer to 7k here at the dealer... :mad: Oh well. I'll see if I can talk him down.

I looked at toro and gravely today as well. Gravely was high at the dealer I went to for commercial grade, started at 7k. Toro was in the 4.5~6k range and looked decent, but I still liked the snapper personally. Not sure which company has the better reputation.

Also considering buying an echo trimmer, blower combo for $299 and then adding a brush trimmer head to it.

antv20
09-07-2012, 08:33 PM
Snappers are built by Ferris. Toro, Exmark, and Gravely all make quality equipment. Not sure how big of a hurry you are to buy but winter is approaching. Might be able to get a left over cheaper.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nikodemus
09-08-2012, 08:41 AM
How well made are the ferris products?

antv20
09-08-2012, 11:37 AM
Ferris, Exmark, Gravely, Toro, Dixon, Husqvarna, Dixie Chopper, Hustler, Bobcat, Scag, Badboy.....all make quality stuff. In the end it will probably come down to which dealer you like the best and which mower you demo that you like the best.

Nikodemus
09-08-2012, 09:10 PM
Pulled the trigger on the snapper, came down to really liking the dealer. Gave us retail value on the trade in on our 8 year old lawn tractor.

Took it home and mowed my grandparents even though it didn't need it, can't believe the difference in blade speed. The handling will take some getting used to, especially the up close handling and the tight turns. I'M worried about tearing up the yard on the tight turns. I did rub the deck one time and scuffed the paint...grrr. It was bound to happen sooner or later.

Thanks for the replies antv20!
Posted via Mobile Device

antv20
09-08-2012, 10:56 PM
Glad I could help. I was really tempted to pull the trigger on the 150SXT today. Still thinking about it.

LawnPro88
09-09-2012, 01:56 PM
How's the cut, and does your's have the ICD deck?

Nikodemus
09-09-2012, 11:16 PM
The cut seems very nice so far, but I've not really truly tested it out. I did notice a big difference in blade speed...man that thing slings the grass and anything else in its path a long ways out. It does have the ICD deck on it. Seems to be a very nice deck from my limited experience, mine already has a scuff spot unfortunately....mistake while trying to trim. Didn't notice the stripe kit being overly effective, but I may not know what to do with it. Also I wonder if washout ports would be a nice addition...

Popeye77
09-18-2012, 05:25 PM
I've got the 36" S50x. Very happy with mine. Only got about 30 hrs on it though. I think you'll like it

Nikodemus
09-18-2012, 05:41 PM
I am enjoying it for sure, grass won't grow quick enough for once. Definitely the first time I've been excited about cutting grass. Still haven't quite gotten used to making the hard turns without tearing up the lawn. Been doing 3 point turns instead. Now I'm looking into a weedeater...

Popeye77
09-18-2012, 06:09 PM
I think if i bought another weedeater it would probably be a Shindaiwa or a Red Maxx. Probably Red Maxx. Just bought Stihl FS90R. Takes too many pulls on the rope and heavy.

Tennesseepowerstroke
03-31-2014, 10:40 PM
How has the Snapper held up and how pleased with it are you.