PDA

View Full Version : Mega Arbel advice

G_Dubs
09-05-2012, 09:15 PM
We're doing our first Mega Arbel job next week and I'm looking for input of the pattern.

A friend of mine who uses them often tells me what a bear they are and that the pattern is really tough to figure out and keep correct throughout the job, but my local supplier told me today that there is no real "pattern" and to just lay the cloverleaf configuration without putting the same pavers to close to each other.

Opinions? Is there a definite pattern to stick with, or do I just lay them out and keep the joints random?

Thanks

big daddy b
09-05-2012, 09:28 PM
There is most definitely a pattern wit Mega Arbel, I think of it as a turtle. There's a head, front "arms" back "arms" and the tail.
That's just how I picture it and keep it in pattern. They only fit one way, you can put a few pieces in wrong like, 3 or 4 pieces, then you realize you did it wrong and have to go back. I've done that a couple of times first starting out. But once your built out enough it goes pretty easy.

They are beefy pavers though, measure 3 1/8" thick, Even better when your cutting in the soldier course.

All I can say is, have fun. Wish I had some pictures for you to check out, but I don't have them on my laptop.

Birchwood
09-05-2012, 09:35 PM
Once you get the clover leaf figured out it goes fast, but I agree if you toss one in the wrong way and it will screw you up.

G_Dubs
09-05-2012, 09:54 PM
I think I found a pattern online that I can work from, but I do see the turtle shape now. I see 6 different pieces, right?

DVS Hardscaper
09-05-2012, 10:36 PM
LOL - the responses make me laugh!

I never heard of a "turtle" or a "clover leaf".

We always just layed the blasted stuff! If you try to think abou what you're doing - then it gets tricky getting it started. Just drop it in place and don't think about it.

With the Arbels we usually start in the middle. If it's butting up to foundations, walls, etc - there will be alotta cutting. I hope you factored in additional time for the cutting, it's a PITA (if it's butting up to anything).

zedosix
09-06-2012, 10:51 AM
The boys just finished one and it goes real fast, cutting is a major pita though. There is a set pattern they just don't go in random.

DVS Hardscaper
09-06-2012, 11:16 AM
Yes, they don't go random.

But try telling immigrant workers to "install a cloverleaf"!

That would go as well as when I tell them the "I pattern".

Posted via Mobile Device

big daddy b
09-06-2012, 05:37 PM
The turtle shape was an idea from our local Belgard rep that was on a driveway job we did last year, not my own, but it stuck in my mind and worked out good.

But just follow DVS's advice and just don't think about it...at all, that should work out really well for you.:hammerhead:

zedosix
09-06-2012, 06:05 PM
off topic but what is the max size picture that can be uploaded

zedosix
09-06-2012, 06:07 PM
Once you get the clover leaf figured out it goes fast, but I agree if you toss one in the wrong way and it will screw you up.

I just noticed but those walls are installed on top of the arbel! I was looking at how nice your cuts were when I noticed that!!

big daddy b
09-06-2012, 06:24 PM
I just noticed but those walls are installed on top of the arbel! I was looking at how nice your cuts were when I noticed that!!

Is doing this becoming popular now or something?
I just saw another job the other day that I actually wanted to get pictures of and post on here. It was done the same way, but done poorly. Glue oozing out of the bottom of the block, the block was already tipping out.
I'll have to stop back to get some pics and post.

But with the Arebl, the tops are textured so did you have any problems with that, or just make it up with glue?
And sort of base prep do you do in the areas where the wall is? Anything extra, tighten it up a little bit or same thing as the other paved areas?

I'm interested in knowing about that method, not to take away from the original topic...

TomG
09-06-2012, 07:13 PM
off topic but what is the max size picture that can be uploaded

Not exactly sure but I've uploaded a 3MB picture before. Thats pretty big

G_Dubs
09-06-2012, 07:41 PM
Ok. Thanks for the heads up on the cutting.

We've got two entrances to the house and one to the garage to cut (butting up, that is), all 48" wide. The rest will be overlayed into the beds and cut in place (since we are doing a full landscape as well).

thanks again for the help.

DVS Hardscaper
09-06-2012, 09:00 PM
So in terms of cutting, make sure you factor in alot of extra time.

make sure you factor in a charge for a full diamond blade.

And factor in extra Arbel for waste

zedosix
09-06-2012, 09:16 PM
make sure you factor in a charge for a full diamond blade.

Only if they are the cheapies then you factor in a full blade.

Sorry bud, had to do it. :)

DVS Hardscaper
09-06-2012, 09:26 PM
Only if they are the cheapies then you factor in a full blade.

Sorry bud, had to do it. :)

i just got done making an 8 yr old write 100 sentences. do you wanna be next!!! :laugh:

zedosix
09-06-2012, 09:45 PM
i just got done making an 8 yr old write 100 sentences. do you wanna be next!!! :laugh:

God no!!! I just had to listen to my sensei yelling!

Birchwood
09-06-2012, 10:43 PM
Is doing this becoming popular now or something?
I just saw another job the other day that I actually wanted to get pictures of and post on here. It was done the same way, but done poorly. Glue oozing out of the bottom of the block, the block was already tipping out.
I'll have to stop back to get some pics and post.

But with the Arebl, the tops are textured so did you have any problems with that, or just make it up with glue?
And sort of base prep do you do in the areas where the wall is? Anything extra, tighten it up a little bit or same thing as the other paved areas?

I'm interested in knowing about that method, not to take away from the original topic...

This was a display we did for a garden show that would be taken down in a couple of weeks.

I would never and would never suggest setting walls, pillars or steps on top of pavers.

all ferris
09-07-2012, 09:57 PM
cutting mega arbel does suck a big donkeys you know what. It has 4 things that I hate about it. 1: it's hard to measure if you have to butt it up against anything. 2: it's big and heavy so the old saying applies "measure twice cut once" because carrying a piece back to the saw more than once really makes me mad. 3: it takes longer to cut and wears out blades faster because it's thicker. 4: more wasted material.

I almost cringe when a customer wants mega arbel. I have a 175' long sidewalk (4' wide) to do with mega arbel and I'm not looking forward to it. The only good thing about the side walk is that we can cut in place.

steve5966
09-17-2012, 09:37 AM
cutting mega arbel does suck a big donkeys you know what. It has 4 things that I hate about it. 1: it's hard to measure if you have to butt it up against anything. 2: it's big and heavy so the old saying applies "measure twice cut once" because carrying a piece back to the saw more than once really makes me mad. 3: it takes longer to cut and wears out blades faster because it's thicker. 4: more wasted material.

I almost cringe when a customer wants mega arbel. I have a 175' long sidewalk (4' wide) to do with mega arbel and I'm not looking forward to it. The only good thing about the side walk is that we can cut in place.

When cutting mega arbel, put your tape measure away. Get a few sheets of heavy construction paper. Since all mega arbels are the same shape, just trace the shape on the construction paper and cut it out. When you are ready to cut, you just fold the paper over so it fits in the area and trace that shape onto a paver and cut. Piece of cake.

TomG
09-17-2012, 06:49 PM
When cutting mega arbel, put your tape measure away. Get a few sheets of heavy construction paper. Since all mega arbels are the same shape, just trace the shape on the construction paper and cut it out. When you are ready to cut, you just fold the paper over so it fits in the area and trace that shape onto a paver and cut. Piece of cake.

Annnddddd you didn't tell us this sooner, why? haha, great tip!!

G_Dubs
11-26-2012, 09:09 AM
Thanks for all the advice. The first job (walkways) came out pretty well adn the customer was ecstatic, but there were a few things I would have done differently, which I did have a chance to do on a smaller patio a few weeks later.

Here are some pics of the before/after's.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=495229807154215&set=a.495229797154216.119675.119016141442252&type=1&theater

and the small patio

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=504492716227924&set=a.504492686227927.121790.119016141442252&type=1&theater

zedosix
11-26-2012, 07:16 PM
Thanks for all the advice. The first job (walkways) came out pretty well adn the customer was ecstatic, but there were a few things I would have done differently, which I did have a chance to do on a smaller patio a few weeks later.

Here are some pics of the before/after's.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=495229807154215&set=a.495229797154216.119675.119016141442252&type=1&theater

and the small patio

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=504492716227924&set=a.504492686227927.121790.119016141442252&type=1&theater

What would you of done differently? I noticed you didn't put any polysand yet.

G_Dubs
11-26-2012, 07:34 PM
Yes. There was a two week period of rain when we were trying to finish these jobs back in October, so the poly sand didn't go in until a few weeks later.

As far as doing things different, on the first job I laid the pavers exactly like the pattern guide i downloaded showed, which caused a lot of repetition which I can notice when I walk the paths. On the second time around, I just made sure the shapes fit, and it flew by.

I was under the impression that you have to start the arbels in the very center of where you're working and work out from there, so there was a lot of time spent carrying pavers up and down the paths. As we moved along, we realized that as long as you keep the pattern, you can start anywhere.

I also brought the plants in a little early and had to be extra careful not to ruin them, causing us to move a little slower.

Anxious for another Arbel job so we can tighten things up even more.

zedosix
11-26-2012, 10:17 PM
Mega Arbel is a great stone, but used in such a way as you have makes me wonder why something different wasn't used or maybe just lay them in a way that requires no cutting. So much time and effort.

DVS Hardscaper
11-26-2012, 11:25 PM
Yes. There was a two week period of rain when we were trying to finish these jobs back in October, so the poly sand didn't go in until a few weeks later.

As far as doing things different, on the first job I laid the pavers exactly like the pattern guide i downloaded showed, which caused a lot of repetition which I can notice when I walk the paths. On the second time around, I just made sure the shapes fit, and it flew by.

I was under the impression that you have to start the arbels in the very center of where you're working and work out from there, so there was a lot of time spent carrying pavers up and down the paths. As we moved along, we realized that as long as you keep the pattern, you can start anywhere.

I also brought the plants in a little early and had to be extra careful not to ruin them, causing us to move a little slower.

Anxious for another Arbel job so we can tighten things up even more.

When will people ever learn how to use the search feature of this forum?! It's all been covered. At least 3 times. :)