View Full Version : Live Oaks

Nelson
01-16-2003, 09:19 PM
I planted these today.... I know they need water as soon as
they are planted....but how long do I need to keep the hose
on them.....

every day? Several hours a day?
every other day? Several hours a day?
I know the first year is the shock year...
Any input will be appreciated.....

Thanks..... :confused:

devildog
01-17-2003, 06:05 AM
a 2" cal / 10' in 45/65gal container will use/need 25gal per day. with regards... devildog

1stclasslawns
01-17-2003, 06:57 PM
I like to put a piece of 11/2 pvc pipe in beside the root ball to stick the water hose in, thus watering the roots and not just the top of the ground. Sending the roots down the first few years the tree will do better IMHO. I havn't lost one yet.

Jim

DaddyRabbit
01-17-2003, 08:23 PM
A water/live oak is one hell of a tough tree. I always use a good mixture of top soil, bone meal around my roots and water. With this formula it is really hard to lose anything. I use gator bags in all of my new plantings as that cuts out the confusion as to how much water is needed. :cool:
PS...Don't forget the mulch.

lawnstudent
01-20-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Nelson
I planted these today.... I know they need water as soon as
they are planted....but how long do I need to keep the hose
on them.....

every day? Several hours a day?
every other day? Several hours a day?
I know the first year is the shock year...
Any input will be appreciated.....

Thanks..... :confused:

What type of oak tree is it?

Roots need water & oxygen. In fact, roots can't function without oxygen. Even trees adapted to growing in water have special structures that allow the roots to aquire oxygen. Watering a tree every day is going to keep the root zone saturated and displace the oxygen in the soil. That tree is going to die unless it is adapted to grow under such wet conditions. You need to let the soil dry out between wet periods. So how often should you water a new tree? It depends on the tree, the soil, and the weather conditions (temperature, wind, rain). A dormant deciduous tree needs little water. A deciduous tree that is leafed-out will require more water. Watch the leaves of your newly planted tree. When they just start to wilt or lose their lustre, water the tree. Good luck.

jim

Nelson
01-20-2003, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by lawnstudent
What type of oak tree is it?

Roots need water & oxygen. In fact, roots can't function without oxygen. Even trees adapted to growing in water have special structures that allow the roots to aquire oxygen. Watering a tree every day is going to keep the root zone saturated and displace the oxygen in the soil. That tree is going to die unless it is adapted to grow under such wet conditions. You need to let the soil dry out between wet periods. So how often should you water a new tree? It depends on the tree, the soil, and the weather conditions (temperature, wind, rain). A dormant deciduous tree needs little water. A deciduous tree that is leafed-out will require more water. Watch the leaves of your newly planted tree. When they just start to wilt or lose their lustre, water the tree. Good luck.

jim

Hey Jim,

Thanks for your input..... They are Live Oaks.....

lawnstudent
01-21-2003, 01:15 PM
Live Oak - Quercus virginiana

Here is what Michael Dirr has to say about Live Oaks:

" ... adapts to about any soil type and is found in its native haunts in sandhills and extreamly moist soils; tolerant of compact soils ... ;nursery trees need to be pruned to develop suitable leaders; tolerant of salt spray."

jim

Darryl G
01-22-2003, 02:33 AM
Well, you'd have to be pretty darn stupid to plant a Dead Oak!:D