PDA

View Full Version : Leaf Loader with enclosed trailer

ajordan193
09-06-2012, 10:06 AM
Hey guys, was wondering if anyone on here has installed a leaf loader on the front of an enclosed trailer. I do have the extended tongue on my trailer and would like to suck up grass clippings and leaves rather than loading with cans. Looking for information and pictures of how to mount a unit like this.

Also I am not looking to suck up huge piles of leaves as this would be used primarily for grass clippings throughout the year. Is there a specific hp I should look into? I am looking to spend under 3k and am looking into all loaders.

Thanks in advance for your time!

orangemower
09-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Would it be possible to mount the loader on the front of the truck and run the tube back to the bed? There's pictures of a guys truck that did that and it looked as though it would work great. It's in a thread on here somewhere.

ajordan193
09-06-2012, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the reply. I would rather mount it on the front of the trailer, this way I can switch trucks if needed.

TriCountyLawn
09-06-2012, 11:01 AM
Depending on the trailer and tongue length it might not be easy. Something with an extended tongue might be easy enough.

Im with the idea of mounting to the truck. Do your trucks have boxes on them already ? I can see making a mess and losing a window if your wanting to load a regular pickup truck like this.

Im looking at the idea of mounting one up on a open trailer that has 2' sides so that I can just dump on the trailer and vac up the pile once I dump a few times.

ajordan193
09-06-2012, 11:07 AM
The trailer is 20 feet long and my trucks have dump inserts in them which I will adjust to handle the debris which are blown into them

orangemower
09-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the reply. I would rather mount it on the front of the trailer, this way I can switch trucks if needed.

I guess if you have enough room it should work. You'd have to come up with a way to mount it. If you're good at fabbing metal then you shouldn't have any issues. My biggest concern would be clearance from hitting the truck when turning. If you know there's enough room then go for it.

The DL13 series Billy Goat seems like a good unit. I was looking into the same option as you only I have a ton of leaves to deal with each season. It's also within your budget so you'll have room (spare money) to fab a mounting system. They offer options that allow you to custom fit the unit to your needs. No, I'm not a BG dealer or anything. I just feel they have a good leaf loader and when the time comes, I'll more then likely buy that very unit.

ajordan193
09-14-2012, 12:15 AM
Bumping this back up, would like to hear from people who have done this set-up or even have pictures. Thanks

Deererunner
09-14-2012, 07:05 PM
I wouldn't think you need a huge loader with a ton of hp as if you were sucking up leaves. I do remember a couple of months ago in the picture section there was a company that had red mason dumps and had a leaf loader mounted to each one for the same purpose. I doubt that helps you but I do remember another company doing it and being successful. If I am able to find, I will post you the link.

Watkins
09-23-2012, 02:41 AM
16 hp works decent with a 14 ft trailer unless your after 12 cleanups a day.

WorldsStrongestLandscaper
09-23-2012, 08:51 PM
Ok I did this for two seasons on both my extended toungue enclosed trailers. I used u bolts to hold down the 20 hp giant vacs a piece of tire in between to lessen the vibration. Worked great with my 550 and 350 ( with 550 rear springs ) but with the trailers loaded and the extra toungue weight I destroyed the axels. Shattered about 12 sets of wheel bearings over those two years and one axel was damaged so badly it had to be replaced They were the 3500 lb axels. I wish I spent the extra 1000 and got the 5k axels. Do not Do this to yourself only recvomended if u have the heavier axels. Other wise make sure u have the extended tongues and use lock tite on the threads for the 6 nuts of the u bolts. Good luck
Posted via Mobile Device

ajordan193
09-23-2012, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the info, I may have to rethink my options here....

ajordan193
09-23-2012, 09:33 PM
Ok I did this for two seasons on both my extended toungue enclosed trailers. I used u bolts to hold down the 20 hp giant vacs a piece of tire in between to lessen the vibration. Worked great with my 550 and 350 ( with 550 rear springs ) but with the trailers loaded and the extra toungue weight I destroyed the axels. Shattered about 12 sets of wheel bearings over those two years and one axel was damaged so badly it had to be replaced They were the 3500 lb axels. I wish I spent the extra 1000 and got the 5k axels. Do not Do this to yourself only recvomended if u have the heavier axels. Other wise make sure u have the extended tongues and use lock tite on the threads for the 6 nuts of the u bolts. Good luck
Posted via Mobile Device

Do you have any pictures of your leaf vac set-up?

Chris Feenan
09-25-2012, 12:24 AM
Check out this thread - (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=331589&highlight=truck+loader+trailer) lots of nice rigs. Posts 13 and 151 have tongue mounted leaf loaders. In post 160, one of the guys shows a drawing of his box before he built it, but that is probably not what you are looking for.

I was looking for a thread that a guy made showing in detail how he built his trailer box with a tongue mount but didn't find it. Search in landscape maintenance, you'll find it. he ended up not using it much, so he says, and had it up for sale here very recently. It must have sold, i guess, because it's not in the classifieds anymore. I am wondering if he was having some of the same axle overload problems that a previous post here mentions, so he decided to sell it ? He says he didn't use it as much as he thought, but I would be careful about a tongue mount. Lots of effective setups can be found, but few are tongue mounts. Good luck !

PS I spent many years landscaping in Amherst and Clarence back in the 80's and 90's. Are things still hoppin" around there ?Go Bills !

Chris Feenan
09-25-2012, 09:47 PM
Found the thread I was talking about because the guy responded to a WTB dump trailer in the want ads. Here it is (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=363378) He does a really nice job putting together a tongue mounted leaf loader and box on a dump trailer. And he documents the construction very well with photos in this thread. He is selling the dump trailer but no longer wants to sell the leaf loader, but I am sure his good work on the tongue mount is still on the dump trailer if you are interested

ajordan193
09-25-2012, 10:48 PM
Thanks chris for the links and info. I primarily work in the East Amherst / Clarence areas. Business has been very good to us this year.

WorldsStrongestLandscaper
09-25-2012, 11:54 PM
Do you have any pictures of your leaf vac set-up?

It was not last season but the season b4. So new phone so nope. If I had them I lost them.
Posted via Mobile Device