PDA

View Full Version : Watering once you have germination

precator
09-07-2012, 10:01 AM
I seeded a week ago and have been watering twice a day and I am getting a lot of germination now. Since I have germination do I cut back on watering now? If so how much? Once a day instead of twice? Any help would be appreciate.

suzook
09-07-2012, 10:04 AM
It depends on the situation...just don't let it dry out. Once a day for a few mins is all it should need for another week.
Posted via Mobile Device

Smallaxe
09-07-2012, 10:47 AM
After germination the root does most of the growing,,, so if you have reasonable soil (45% sand, 45% clay & 10% silt), then daily watering could be pounding the air out of your surface soil and turning it into a slimy surface...
That is what you want to avoid... If your soil is muddy/slimey and there is water throughout the top 4", then your best bet is to back off and let the surface start drying to normal tilth as soon as possible...
Shut off the water as soon as it puddles then let it sit for 24-48 hours depending on how it looks... Your grass will not die in 48 hours unless we get more extreme heat and scorching sun... even then it isn't likely to kill it...
If you have a sandy topsoil, then you have a different story... :)

RigglePLC
09-07-2012, 12:22 PM
Depends on the evapotranspiration in your area. Et is greater when hot, windy, low humidity. Sandy soil if you have it loses moisture quicker. It is important to not have standing water when temps are over 85--such conditions induce pythium fungus--which can take out large swatches overnight.
And...if you have germination after only a week--you have ryegrass--I am thinking you are too far south to grow ryegrass. Or am I wrong?

precator
09-07-2012, 12:59 PM
Lesco Transition Blend. It said germination in 7 -10 days but I got germination in 5. I watered a lot and put down starter fertilizer as well.

khutch
09-11-2012, 08:38 AM
Same with me, Lesco transition, germination is 5 days, daily watering and one rainfall.