PDA

View Full Version : Hedge trimmer size

Buck Hollow Lawn Care
09-07-2012, 10:25 AM
Im looking at getting a hedge trimmer but am not able to decide on a 24" blade or 30" blade. Any thoughts?
Posted via Mobile Device

macgyver_GA
09-07-2012, 10:44 AM
I was wondering the same thing.

Buck Hollow Lawn Care
09-07-2012, 11:14 AM
I don't do a lot of trimming now, but want to do more. Just want to get size opinions.
Posted via Mobile Device

Smallaxe
09-07-2012, 11:43 AM
When you need a 30" blade it helps speed things up a bit, but when you don't need a 30" blade it is too much trouble... many times I wish I had a 14" blade on a small handy-sized machine,,, but of course that would be too small for large hedges...

Think Green
09-07-2012, 07:19 PM
Buck hollow,
I use the 30" units and longer combi units. It depends on the height of the shrubbery. The tall hedges is great for the combi unit with the versatile pivoting head. The dedicated head is great for other shorter hedges. It is also about weight of the unit because, think, you will be holding these things for prolonged periods of time. The smallest gasoline units feel like anvils after a couple of hours.
The last thing to consider is what you can afford..............I have been doing trimming for over 23 years and it is a part of our services.

larryinalabama
09-07-2012, 07:24 PM
I use a 30" kawasaki single sided trimmer, and also have a "artulacting" double sided trimmer attachment for my stihl kombi.

A cheap pair of manual sissors trimmers s handy fror small stuff.

Buck Hollow Lawn Care
09-07-2012, 07:40 PM
I have a kawasaki combo that I can get a trimmer attachment for and that will come later. For now I decided on a Kawasaki 30" double side trimmer, listed at $390 and my dealer gave it to me for $330 with a $25 rebate. The shrubs I have to do are 3 1/2' tall, 50' long and then there are a couple individual ones about 6-8' tall. Maybe I'd been better to rent a pair but it's been a decent year and my accountant says to spend a little, haha!
Posted via Mobile Device

larryinalabama
09-07-2012, 08:18 PM
I have a kawasaki combo that I can get a trimmer attachment for and that will come later. For now I decided on a Kawasaki 30" double side trimmer, listed at $390 and my dealer gave it to me for $330 with a $25 rebate. The shrubs I have to do are 3 1/2' tall, 50' long and then there are a couple individual ones about 6-8' tall. Maybe I'd been better to rent a pair but it's been a decent year and my accountant says to spend a little, haha!
Posted via Mobile Device

They will last a long time, spray the blades with wd 40 or some tyep of lubrancnte constantly.

Be really carefully not to let the blades touch any part of your body, they will take fingers off, and will turn any part of your leg into hamburger meat before you realized what happened.

Also watch for tv cables ac piping and or wiring.

Buck Hollow Lawn Care
09-07-2012, 08:31 PM
Great tips! Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

macgyver_GA
09-08-2012, 01:32 PM
Just got in from doing shrubs. My POS Ryobi expand-it hedge trimmer I've been using for the last few years decided it didn't want to start this morning so I ran by my local kawasaki dealer and picked up the KHT600A 24" hedge trimmer. Got it for $304 OTD w/ tax. I don't have any tall shrubs to trim so I didn't really think I needed to get the extended reach unit. The tallest shrubs I have to do are about 4' high maybe. It's a night and day difference between the new one and my old POS ryobi hedge trimmer which is to be expected. They cut like a hot knife through butter. Even cut through some 1/2" thick shooter stems on some overgrown yaupons without a hiccup.

Buck Hollow Lawn Care
09-08-2012, 01:57 PM
I thought of going low grade due to the fact I don't do much trimming, but you never know, I could get inundated with hedge work and it will be nice to have the better quality stuff. My trimmers are Kawasaki as is my blower and I could not be happier. They start every time 1st pull.

macgyver_GA
09-08-2012, 02:55 PM
I thought of going low grade due to the fact I don't do much trimming, but you never know, I could get inundated with hedge work and it will be nice to have the better quality stuff. My trimmers are Kawasaki as is my blower and I could not be happier. They start every time 1st pull.

The only difference I could see between the set I bought vs the next step up was the engine size. The gearbox and blade assembly were the same from what I could tell. After cutting some overgrown yaupon hollies today, it didn't bog down the slightest bit.

Right now, I only have 17 accounts of which only half require shrub trimming. Of those that require shrub trimming, there's only about 6-7 shrubs per house. The other half of my accounts are new construction homes built within the last year so their shrubs won't even need any trimming til probably next year.

If in the future, I feel like I need something better, I'll upgrade then. In the big scheme of things, hedge trimmers aren't really that big of an expense.

Buck Hollow Lawn Care
09-08-2012, 03:02 PM
The only difference I could see between the set I bought vs the next step up was the engine size. The gearbox and blade assembly were the same from what I could tell. After cutting some overgrown yaupon hollies today, it didn't bog down the slightest bit.

Right now, I only have 17 accounts of which only half require shrub trimming. Of those that require shrub trimming, there's only about 6-7 shrubs per house. The other half of my accounts are new construction homes built within the last year so their shrubs won't even need any trimming til probably next year.

If in the future, I feel like I need something better, I'll upgrade then. In the big scheme of things, hedge trimmers aren't really that big of an expense.

Ain't that the truth:dizzy:

lawnsquadnc
09-08-2012, 04:18 PM
Im thinking about getting a Kawasaki Hedge trimmer I just can't decide on which one to get either the KCS600A or the KCL600A. Let me know if you recommend a different brand im open to anything.