PDA

View Full Version : Buying used equipment / "Is it stolen or not?

70marlin
09-08-2012, 08:05 AM
I'm need to purchase some replacement equipment for my mowing needs. I mow about six acres between two lawns on a weekly bases, sometime every four days ďspring & fallĒ. Also Iíd like to help out my elderly neighbors who are on limited incomes and poor health they also have the same size estates. Iím looking at zero turn mower of at least 54Ē but I'm leaning toward a 61Ē at this time I just cannot swing a purchase of new equipment, so Iím researching gently used commercial mowers, with less than 1500 hrs on it if possible. Iíve been looking on Craigís list & E-bay mostly. Thereís plenty to choose for in my price range. Iím leery of these on line sources! How can I know for sure that itís not stolen, they donít have titles like autos? All help would be welcomed.

Thank you
Pat

Nutsedge
09-08-2012, 10:54 AM
Its a personal choice. If it is stolen and you get a great deal what can you do?

70marlin
09-08-2012, 11:28 AM
Its a personal choice? If it is stolen and you get a great deal what can you do?
BURN IN HELL! Not really the answer I was looking for. I figured you fella's would say something like this.

Refer me to stolen equipment forum
Have me call state police with model & serial #
Tell me if I'm that worried man up and buy from dealer.
[/LIST]

70marlin
09-08-2012, 11:37 AM
Its a personal choice? If it is stolen and you get a great deal what can you do?
Get arrested by the police for having stolen property, go to jail, BURN IN HELL! Not really the answer I was looking for. I figured you fella's would say something like this.

Refer me to stolen equipment forum
Have me call state police with model & serial #
Tell me if I'm that worried man up and buy from dealer.

70marlin
09-08-2012, 11:41 AM
Sorry about double post.

C Jovingo Landscaping
09-08-2012, 12:06 PM
Just use your judgement & ask questions. If seller got out of business & is hard up for money, you can get great deals. Now if guy says someone owed him money & gave him mower, then it may be stolen. If price is way below what similar mowers are going for it may be stolen. Someone that purchased it legit will try to get what it is worth or just under. If you find a mower that sells for $3500 used but someone is askin $1000-$1500, it may be stolen.

You can be charged with recieving stolen property & price is dead give away if it is to good to be true price!
Posted via Mobile Device

larryinalabama
09-08-2012, 12:48 PM
I guess if its the original owner he might have a invoce he could show you.

Does the seller have the owners manual???

Did you go to their home to look ath the equiptment???

Nutsedge
09-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Are you telling me to burn in hell?

OakNut
09-08-2012, 02:08 PM

That's what I thought at first, but it reads to me (now) like he was answering your "what can you do?" question...

Sounds like the following were his thoughts on what could happen if you buy and it turns out to be stolen:
"Get arrested by the police for having stolen property, go to jail, BURN IN HELL!"

I could be wrong, but I never am.

;)

70marlin
09-08-2012, 04:31 PM
That's what I thought at first, but it reads to me (now) like he was answering your "what can you do?" question...

Sounds like the following were his thoughts on what could happen if you buy and it turns out to be stolen:
"Get arrested by the police for having stolen property, go to jail, BURN IN HELL!"

I could be wrong, but I never am.

;) Still right Thumbs Up

70marlin
09-08-2012, 04:35 PM
Hold your horse there pilgrim, was speaking as if it was me. :sleeping:

Nutsedge
09-09-2012, 11:25 AM
Personally Im not a believer in hell as the bible/daunte illustrate it but still I see what your thought process was.

It's up to you, in the end. There is a risk of buying stolen goods anytime you purchase equipment from an individual and if it bothers you that much where your loosing sleep over where you believe you'll spend your time after life on earth is through then it seems like an easy choice to me. Just get something used from a dealer. The pearly gates will be there when the time comes!
Posted via Mobile Device

70marlin
09-09-2012, 04:34 PM
Personally Im not a believer in hell as the bible/daunte illustrate it but still I see what your thought process was.

It's up to you, in the end. There is a risk of buying stolen goods anytime you purchase equipment from an individual and if it bothers you that much where your loosing sleep over where you believe you'll spend your time after life on earth is through then it seems like an easy choice to me. Just get something used from a dealer. The pearly gates will be there when the time comes!
Posted via Mobile Device

The time and expense behind bars scares me more! After reading the stolen equipment forum and the flames expressed on the threads. I expected a higher bar AND MORE CONVERSATION?

GreenI.A.
09-09-2012, 04:58 PM
Most equipment from that was originally purchased from a dealer will have a serial number on the receipt. If they seller can not provide it I would be skeptic. If he can't ask if he has had it maintained at all at a dealer, dealer records will normally have the serial number. If he can't provide any type of documentation have him give you a signed bill of sale, also have him photocopy something identifiable on the bill of sale such as his drivers license or state issued contractors license. That will at least give you proof that you purchased the item if you are later caught with it. If the equipment is ever seized by he police you have something to back you up and may be able to sue for your money back.

Nutsedge
09-09-2012, 09:58 PM
Has anyone here ever faced dire circumstances because of this situation? Perhaps it's a bigger problem in the op's neck of the woods but even when the though crossd my mind I then wonder how the heck I'd get into a scenario where the police would be checking my stuff to see if it was legit.

Even then, I find it hard to believe that a person who unknowingly purchased hot equipment with a clean record would have to worry about getting jail time as long as they cooperate and give the cops the person they got it from.

Perhaps im just too lax/niave about this subject???
Posted via Mobile Device

GreenI.A.
09-10-2012, 10:47 AM
Has anyone here ever faced dire circumstances because of this situation? Perhaps it's a bigger problem in the op's neck of the woods but even when the though crossd my mind I then wonder how the heck I'd get into a scenario where the police would be checking my stuff to see if it was legit.

Even then, I find it hard to believe that a person who unknowingly purchased hot equipment with a clean record would have to worry about getting jail time as long as they cooperate and give the cops the person they got it from.

Perhaps im just too lax/niave about this subject???
Posted via Mobile Device

I have heard of people being caught when they bring a piece of equipment into a dealer to be repaired, if the dealer tracks serial numbers then they can very easily call the police. More than likely you would only get a slap on the wrist. But by doing you due diligence and being sure your purchase is well documented you can avoid having to spend a day in court if you were somehow caught.

OakNut
09-10-2012, 07:33 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

OakNut
09-10-2012, 07:34 PM
Edit: stupid phone!
Posted via Mobile Device