PDA

View Full Version : Fall seeding and recent discovery of grubs

xdriver
09-08-2012, 01:34 PM
I live in Massachusetts and am getting ready to slice seed my lawn. While dethatching in preparation I realized just how unhealthy my lawn was when. It chunks started coming up. With a little investigation it was evident that grubs have been feeding on my roots. What is the bed course of action for me? Can I put down a grub killer that will be effective at the same time my new seed is trying to take root? What should I do in the spring, etc. Brands and or active ingredients and % would be much appreciated. I believe I also want to start milky spore treatment but understand that takes multiple years to begin working so some immediate action is needed. Thank you.
Posted via Mobile Device

maynardGkeynes
09-08-2012, 03:19 PM
I live in Massachusetts and am getting ready to slice seed my lawn. While dethatching in preparation I realized just how unhealthy my lawn was when. It chunks started coming up. With a little investigation it was evident that grubs have been feeding on my roots. What is the bed course of action for me? Can I put down a grub killer that will be effective at the same time my new seed is trying to take root? What should I do in the spring, etc. Brands and or active ingredients and % would be much appreciated. I believe I also want to start milky spore treatment but understand that takes multiple years to begin working so some immediate action is needed. Thank you.
Posted via Mobile DeviceHow many grubs per sq foot? Every lawn has a few.

nparish
09-08-2012, 04:38 PM
Merit is a grub preventative. You might check with someone else as far as a good time to apply it.

RigglePLC
09-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Dylox, (triclorfon) is the product of choice. Yes, you can use it without fear of affecting the seed. Five grubs per square foot requires treatment--less than that --maybe not.

You need a different product next year. Treat with Scotts Grub-X about next fourth of July--about when the grub eggs hatch. This prevention is better than the cure.
Typing at the same time as above. Merit acts like Grub-x, it also works fine, (if applied in July).

xdriver
09-08-2012, 07:19 PM
Riggle,

That's very helpful, can dylox be obtained at home depot or lowes by any chance? If not, where? Thank you.
Posted via Mobile Device

RigglePLC
09-09-2012, 10:44 AM
You should be able to find it at Ace Hardware or home stores.
http://www.bayeradvanced.com/insects-pests/products/24-hour-grub-killer-plus

GreenI.A.
09-09-2012, 05:02 PM
You can get Dylox from John Deere Landscapes/Lesco. You are pretty close to two diferent locations, there is one in Walpole and one in Waltham, if you are going the other direction, there is also one in Marlborough.