PDA

View Full Version : Danger! Chevy/ GMC truck owners need to read

integrityman
09-10-2012, 06:13 PM
First and foremost- If this is a repeat of another thread I apologize to the LS community.

I own an 01 Silverado. Yesterday I was towing my trailer and equipment. A Lady suddenly ran a red light and I almost blasted her. I hit the brakes hard. My trailer brakes locked and the truck provided little or no braking. I was scared $hitless to say the least. As no brake power returned, I inspected the lines and found a ruptured rusted out line. Various other lines leaving the Master cylinder look bad too. Brake fluid was pouring out of the ruptered line.

Turns out thousands and thousands of other GM owners and operators have experienced similar problems, yet GM and NHTSA has done Jack Crap about it- except remain silent. NHTSA has commenced an engineering analysis for what that is worth.

Had I not had electric brakes on the trailer I and the other driver would have been in for a world of hurt if not worse.

I urge each one of you to carefull inspect your brake and fuel lines. You get no warning on this folks and its disgusting how GM is ignoring this problem instead of tackling it head on.

Ive been a big chevy/ gm fan over the years...but this has rapidly corroded my faith in Gm and Chevrolet.

RedSox4Life
09-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Sounds to me you need to be blaming the highway departments that dump salt and calcium chloride on the roads, not GM.

Also, a good idea when replacing brake lines is to go with stainless steel lines.

TriCountyLawn
09-10-2012, 06:37 PM
I have got to get my lines replaced before winter.

4 seasons lawn&land
09-10-2012, 06:46 PM
brake lines rot out on all vehicles. Thats what inspection stickers are for. Usually you will feel loss in braking power before failure.

nickslawnltd
09-10-2012, 07:25 PM
Lines rot out on all makes. I definitely don't think this is a manufacturer issue. As mentioned above. That's also why there annual safety inspections and at least if your not getting them done inspect your borehole yourself

ztman
09-10-2012, 07:57 PM
First and foremost- If this is a repeat of another thread I apologize to the LS community.

I own an 01 Silverado. Yesterday I was towing my trailer and equipment. A Lady suddenly ran a red light and I almost blasted her. I hit the brakes hard. My trailer brakes locked and the truck provided little or no braking. I was scared $hitless to say the least. As no brake power returned, I inspected the lines and found a ruptured rusted out line. Various other lines leaving the Master cylinder look bad too. Brake fluid was pouring out of the ruptered line.

Turns out thousands and thousands of other GM owners and operators have experienced similar problems, yet GM and NHTSA has done Jack Crap about it- except remain silent. NHTSA has commenced an engineering analysis for what that is worth.

Had I not had electric brakes on the trailer I and the other driver would have been in for a world of hurt if not worse.

I urge each one of you to carefull inspect your brake and fuel lines. You get no warning on this folks and its disgusting how GM is ignoring this problem instead of tackling it head on.

Ive been a big chevy/ gm fan over the years...but this has rapidly corroded my faith in Gm and Chevrolet.

Do you plow with your 11 year old truck too? Are you the original owner? If not look at a car fax to see what state it came from.
Your message is good, check your brake lines, but I wouldnt blame gm

integrityman
09-10-2012, 08:51 PM
brake lines rot out on all vehicles. Thats what inspection stickers are for. Usually you will feel loss in braking power before failure.

Not necessarily true. It seems that the (GM) placement of the lines is especially troublesome. I called a host of local mechanics and spoke to several GM dealers. They ALL advised me that this make and vintage is horrendous. To the point of offering to write letters on my behalf. The 99-03 vintage is especially troublesome.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/gm_silverado_brakes.html

Owners have reported passage of government AND industry technicians inspections and experiencing failure shortly thereafter.

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/274830/

ParkWelding
09-11-2012, 06:39 PM
You have an 01. My 04 Dodge has so many rusted/rotted lines on it that I have spent tons of money replacing. It happens.

4 seasons lawn&land
09-11-2012, 06:58 PM
how many miles on both of your guys' trucks?

cgaengineer
09-11-2012, 07:28 PM
Have you ever flushed your brake fluid? It does absorb water which in turn rusts lines. I'm not saying its not a GM problem...after all it is a GM ;), but people forget about brake fluid absorbing water.
Posted via Mobile Device

ma71t
09-11-2012, 08:14 PM
Yup...... Already replaced them on my 01. Its under the driver seat area where they run along the top of the frame rail. All the road gunk just sits on top and rots them out. Just actually blasted both my 07 under carriages with fluid film so well see how that goes.

JDGlandscape
09-11-2012, 08:35 PM
It does happen to all makes, but not even close to as much as that era of chevys. It is a very known problem with those. I have a 13 year old truck in central nh and im on the original ones with 170K on both of my trucks. My neighbor has two of those chevys an his son has one and they both have had to replace the lines twice each since theyve had them. My dad is a mechanic and he replaces them all the time
Posted via Mobile Device

hosejockey2002
09-12-2012, 12:39 AM
If that truck were 3 years old that would be on GM. But it's almost 13 years old, and brake system inspection is part of basic maintenance. It's probably in your manual. It's on you. Lesson learned, inspect your brake lines.

turtle
09-12-2012, 01:10 AM
I'll throw out my opinion. I'm sure I'll get ripped to shreds but here goes. In Ct the state uses Calcium Chloride which causes rust, alot of the towns and contractors use treated salts which are stickier and some claim to attack rust.

93Chevy
09-12-2012, 05:53 AM
Same thing happened on my '95 Chevy last year with 160k on it.

ParkWelding
09-12-2012, 07:44 AM
how many miles on both of your guys' trucks?

My Dodge has 110K on it. Ford has 128K and is in better shape mechanically than the Dodge.

JLSLLC
09-12-2012, 07:58 AM
glad your alright and got it fixed, common problem here! I gotta do mine next!

zak406
09-12-2012, 11:29 AM
The 99-01 silverados and im guessing the sierras are a ******* joke. My dads rocker panels are rotted away, break lines have ruptured, beds rusted to ****. We are no longer able to get it inspected in pa. Its a shame a 40 thousand dollar truck is now rendered worthless. Best part is my dad would wash it after every snow storm or salt spreading. Never plowed or salted. My 85 dodge which I wash twice a yeAR Is in 20x better shape tahn my dads 99 silverado. I got less rust and never had a blow break line.