PDA

View Full Version : Welcome To Lawnsite New Members!!

Eric ELM
08-17-2000, 08:50 AM
http://www.gifs.net/animate/welcome2.gif
TO
http://www.elmlawnsite.com/lawnsite.jpg

A BIG Welcome to all you new members. This forum is growing very fast and lately we have had a lot of new members sign up, so I just wanted to give you all a few ideas on using this forum.

In the upper right hand corner, there is an Icon faq Click on that to see the most frequently asked questions. Search is also there. If you have a question on for example: Sharpening Blades, click on SEARCH and enter the word Sharpen and you will find around 60 posts on sharpening and grinders. There are thousands of posts answering questions here by 100's of professional lawn care guys. If you can't find the answer to your question, by all means, start a new discussion and ask your question. Lets keep it clean though, because there are women and children that also read these posts from all over the world. I realize most everyone has heard about every cuss word out there, but we don't need to hear them again.

There is another forum connected to this one that is called Who? Where? What Did You Start With? It is a forum to let us know a bit about you, where your from, and what you started out with and what you have now for equipment. If you add your post to the big thread instead of starting a new thread, it will more likely be seen later on.

There is a forum for advertising your equipment for sale so please put your ads there and not on this one. There is a forum for about anything connected to our business, so enjoy them all.

To set your clocks to your time zone, go to your profile and go down to the next to the bottom to TIME OFFSET and put in -5 for Eastern time, -6 for Central, -7 for Mountain, and -8 for Pacific. The time is set for Eastern Standard time. When Daylight time comes around, we all need to spring forward 1 hour

For you new members that don't know, Chuck Keough is the Administrator/Owner of this great forum, I'm the Senior Moderator/Adminstrative Assistant, so if you have problems or forum questions that you can't figure out, just email us. You can find my email address by going to the top of the forums and clicking on Moderated by: Eric ELM. Thanks

bob
08-17-2000, 01:59 PM
Thanks for posting this Eric. Maybe you should post it once a month to ensure the new members will see it.

Eric ELM
08-27-2000, 09:52 AM
When you compose a post for the whole world to read, remember, there are women, kids, and others that don't like to see some of the 4 letter words that get used. Write it like you would an estimate for a job. If you use a bunch of 4 letter words in it, how many jobs would you get? As Chuck said in another post:

"I spend hours upon hours trying to make lawnsite.com a better community for you guys. Please take into consideration the rest of the community when you post.

I will not tolerate the language and attacks. I don't have enough time to babysit and edit your discussions so I will just start deleting your memberships".

Don't forget to click on the banners at the top. This helps fund Lawnsite by visiting these sponsors. This is the least we can do for Chuck, so go click on them all now and see what they have to offer. I visit them daily and if everyone did, it would help off set the cost of running this site, BIG TIME. :)

Eric ELM
09-10-2000, 05:03 PM
It is time to bring this thread back up so new members can read this information. I noticed I hadn't mentioned the Chat Room for Lawnsite members which can be found on my website. You can get to it by clicking on my signiture below any of my posts. To make it easier to get back there, just save the URL in your favorites. The Lawnsite Chat Rooms are the second and third chat rooms towards the bottom left side of the first page. It it set up for using AOL Instant Messenger which can be downloaded on the links page on my website if you don't already have it. It is free to download and use and lots of fun for most. If you already have AOL as your ISP, you still need to download AOL Instant Messenger. You need the program called AIM95 which stands for AOL Instant Messenger.

We have been getting 10 at a time there lately with some coming and going all evening. Normally the people have been chatting there around 8:30 to 10:30 Central time, but you could catch someone there about anytime. If someone isn't there when you get there, just minimize the window and go back to Lawnsite and wait for someone to get there. When someone sends an instant message, you will hear a sound if you have the sounds configured right and you have your volume up enough to hear it.

If the 2nd Chat Room gets to full or the younger guys would rather chat by themselves, there is another Chat Room below the 2nd one that is available too. The top Chat Room was originally set up for Dixie Chopper owners, so that is why it is Labeled that way still. Come and join the fun when you have a chance and enjoy. :)

There is another issue that needs to be brought up for anyone chatting in the chat rooms. The Chat Room is considered part of LawnSite and the language rule is in affect there also. I can't be there at all times to monitor this, so keep it clean.

[Edited by Eric ELM on 10-12-2000 at 12:39 AM]

BUSHMASTER
09-19-2000, 09:50 PM
just felt the need to say hi ya'll

jrblawncare
09-30-2000, 07:27 PM
Your good Eric...Keep up the great work..WE ALL THANK YOU !!

Eric ELM
10-15-2000, 07:36 PM
Would everyone please check to see if their profiles are filled in? If you would at least put in which state you are from and what section of the state your from, it would be nice too. When you ask about (for example) what grass should I plant, it helps to know where your from to know how to answer your question. It would be nice if you could put in your email address too so we can get in touch with you if needed. I am ammazed at how few of you new members and a lot of the members that have been members for months, haven't filled in this information in your profile. Just go to PROFILE and fill it in.
Thanks

Vandora Lawn & Landscape
10-15-2000, 07:44 PM
Can we make a profile info a requirement just like a valid email address?

Eric ELM
10-15-2000, 09:20 PM
This has been done and now if we can just get the old members that joined before this went into affect, to fill in their location, it will be nice. This helps to figure out how to tell a member that asks about specific region of the USA, for example, what seed to plant on the turf.

Please, if your location on your profile is blank, fill it in.
Thanks
Eric

[Edited by Eric ELM on 03-16-2001 at 03:50 PM]

ronslawncare
10-17-2000, 02:24 AM
hi guys.my name is ronnie im new to this forum and new to the bussiness this is my first year boy do i love it.its definately a fulltime business for me.i think you guys are really doing something great i for one learned so much just reading the forums.over the summer i seen a couple of landscapers puttin down sod so im new to this game and i am very eager to learn so i ask them if it was alright if i watch and even lend a hand for free.they said no thanx dont need the extra hand and pursued back to work.anyway that is just one example of how much i appreciate this forum.keep up the good work

Eric ELM
11-13-2000, 09:11 PM
In the upper right hand corner we now have Posting Guidelines, so please read this so we are all on the same page, so to speak. Thanks

Eric ELM
12-15-2000, 11:40 PM
Looks like we could get 2,000 members in one year. :D

Tell a friend in the lawn business or snow removal business about this forum and have him or her become a member too. The more members we get, the more information we have to share. :)

There is a new Help Registering and Participating link in the upper left corner to help new people become members. It will help you guests become members easier, so come on and join us.

Eric ELM
12-22-2000, 08:16 PM
Below the posters name, there is now a spot saying where the poster is from. This will help out in answering questions the poster has. Now you won't have to go to this persons profile to find out where he or she is from when replying to a post that requires knowing what part of the country he or she is from. This will only work if you have your profile filled in though. PLEASE go to your profile now and update this information if it isn't already done. Thanks

leeslawncare
12-30-2000, 05:16 PM
I like the addition eric....at least we know where we are all from now! Thanks

Eric ELM
01-15-2001, 09:56 PM
We have had a lot of new members lately and we welcome you all. I have added a new page to my website to help you new members find old threads on good information that has been discussed in the past. It is a page of 62 searches. Just click on the subject that you have an interest in and you will find many threads of hundreds posts on some. You will have many hours of reading by using that page. You can always find that by clicking on my signiture line on the boot right. If you find it helpful, just put it in your favorites to make it even easier to find.

I hope this helps.
Eric

Eric ELM
01-23-2001, 10:01 AM
Welcome to all of you new members. We have been getting an average of around 14 new members a day lately, so it's time to update this a bit.

Yesterday, private messaging was launched and if you want to make sure you don't miss a message and want to get it ASAP, set your email program to check your mail each minute and keep it running while you are on line. This will notify you the quickest way.

I now have 72 search items on the search page that I constructed on my website. If you all would go look at the key words there and then use these when starting a new thread, using these key words will make sure they end up in the search when some one clicks on these words later on.

Example: Instead of using "I have a Question" in the thread title, use "How to get rid of Moles" since moles is a search word on that page. I have added several new search words, so check them out. Again, you can use about anything in the thread title, but using keywords will make sure it's going to be easy to look up later.

Thanks
Eric

Davis TLC
02-02-2001, 06:06 PM
Welcome to all the new members. Please be sure to fill out your profiles. This helps when you ask a question, if we know what part of the country you are in. You don't have to get specific, as an example (Middle Tenn.). It just takes a minute, and it might help get your questions answered quicker.

YNE
02-03-2001, 12:13 PM
Eric A big word of Thanks for your work on behalf of all in this business of Lawn Care. I have read posts daily from many informed individuals and wish to respond to all of those members as well and say a big Thank You. Why reinvent the wheel on so many topics of concern when all I need to do is go to Lawnsite.com to find the information I need.

Eric ELM
02-17-2001, 08:55 PM
YNE, Welcome to lawnsite and welcome to all new members. There is a Help Registering and Participating link in the upper left corner to help new people become members and to let you know some basic things on posting. A couple weeks ago, the links to the search pages of old posts was added so you don't have to click on the middle link below to get there. You an always find it in Help Registering and Participating. I hope this helps members new and old.

I welcome the help of the 4 new Moderators, Rich Davis, Jodi, Paul, and Ray Kirby. :)

Eric ELM
03-16-2001, 04:03 PM
I wanted the new members from the past month to see this and I hope it helps some new members.

I also have noticed a lot of dealers and Mfgs. joining Lawnsite.com and I would like to let you know we welcome you.

I would like to let you know that Lawnsite is funded by Mfg. and Dealers that put up a banner with your link on it to your sites.

It is not fair for other Mfgs. and dealers to try to attract members to your site and not help out funding this forum. If this happens, you can end up loosing your membership.

If you want to sell used Equipment on lawnsite.com, you have to place an advertisement in the Used Equipment Marketplace forum.

Thanks for reading this. :)
Eric

Eric ELM
03-31-2001, 05:54 PM
New Members: Please read at least the above post about selling stuff on Lawnsite as I am constantly moving for sale items that are in the other forums. There is other useful information in the other posts too.
Thanks for your time.
Eric

Eric ELM
06-17-2001, 10:18 AM
It is about time to bring this up again.

For all you new members to save time looking at posts, if you click on the thread name, it takes you to the first post on that thread, if you click on the down arrow next to the thread name, it takes you to the last post you have read. If you click on the arrow next to the posters name on the right, it takes you to this persons post.

I hope this helps.

This thread hasn't been brought up for a long time and it was started 10 months ago, so there is some out dated info here and I will get it all updated when I get some spare time.