PDA

View Full Version : Question for enclosed trailer owners?

lasher66
09-12-2012, 11:45 PM
I was looking at buying an enclosed trailer. The one thing I was wondering is what you guys do to gas up your equipment. I know some trailers have fuel access doors, but what do you do if you dont have them. I imagine that you have to back all the mowers off trailer to fill them at pump, or fill a crapload of gas cans for the trailer. Just seems like a pain to fill up equipment every day versus an open trailer.

PLS-Tx
09-13-2012, 01:52 AM
I was looking at buying an enclosed trailer. The one thing I was wondering is what you guys do to gas up your equipment. I know some trailers have fuel access doors, but what do you do if you dont have them. I imagine that you have to back all the mowers off trailer to fill them at pump, or fill a crapload of gas cans for the trailer. Just seems like a pain to fill up equipment every day versus an open trailer.

We have fuel doors on ours but sometimes we just back the mowers out and fill them.

scotts lawn care
09-13-2012, 08:22 AM
We use our 48" side door to fuel up and fill our gas caddy. I now wish there was a fuel door on the other side - this would be convenient.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jimslawncareservice
09-13-2012, 08:56 AM
I just back them off. Sometimes I can use the side door to fill one.
Posted via Mobile Device

orangemower
09-13-2012, 09:51 AM
Ah, the down side to using a enclosed trailer. When you move up to a enclosed trailer, it's wise to get a fuel caddy. You'll waste a LOT of time at the pump everyday pulling the mowers in and out.

Jimslawncareservice
09-13-2012, 10:11 AM
Ah, the down side to using a enclosed trailer. When you move up to a enclosed trailer, it's wise to get a fuel caddy. You'll waste a LOT of time at the pump everyday pulling the mowers in and out.

But It's a lot less time than coming on here all the time and complaining about handhelds not working properly from being exposed to the weather all day long on and open trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device

GreenI.A.
09-13-2012, 07:50 PM
we put a couple aftermarket fuel doors on our enclosed. Simple installation and with the trim kit it looks original.

ParkWelding
09-13-2012, 07:58 PM
I do the multiple gas can deal. Not a big deal. Fill up everything and make mix for 2 strokes in the AM. Refill the cans on Saturday or Sunday. In case I consumed more gas than my fleet of gas cans would hold, I had saved a couple VP fuel drums and was planning to just fill them up and fuel everything from drums.

01thump
09-13-2012, 08:11 PM
You must be in a big hurry or just lazy if you think a few minutes at the pump is a pain ....

lazor-cut
09-13-2012, 09:17 PM
its the scarifies you make when you get an enclosed... Bet you dont complain when its raining out and all of your equipment is dry because its inside of your enclosed trailer...

This winter i Plan to build a Setup where the front left side of the trailer has a generator door on it. With a slide out where i can mount a big low pro gas tank like 40 gallons so i can just refuel from there.
like this instead of a generator.
Not because i get tired of pulling the mowers out but because i HATEEEEEE the new gas cans and all of that. Rather have 2 tanks with 2 hoses. Oe for straight gas one for 2 cycle.

http://www.pacwesttrailers.com/Misc.%20Items/Generator_5R.JPG
This is how it looks when its all closed up:
https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSh3OXXQYRgzw2Pnu0zLVx519896Ul4ILi8jjcS3jEdpQDKNHETAw

skeller257
09-15-2012, 08:33 AM
I use a fuel tank in the back of the truck.

PlantscapeSolutions
09-16-2012, 03:26 AM
I keep six extra 5 gallon No Spill can at my house to refill equipment. Inside my trailer I keep another two 5 gallon cans and four 2.5 gallon cans so fuel is never an issue. No need to pay extra for fuel doors.

lazor-cut
09-17-2012, 12:17 AM
Forgot to mention, One of my fellow landscaping buddies has a 30 gallon tank welded to the tongue of his trailers. Then there is a hose that goes through the floor of the trailer to a pump connected to a hose to fill equipment. He says its great! They still fill up their mowers by pulling up to the pump and such...

mowcrazy
09-17-2012, 12:32 AM
It took me 12 years to figure out the best way to go weather you have a open or enclosed trailer. I bought a 50 gallon nurse tank from tractor supply with 12v pump. Yes pricey but think about not having to stop for fuel but once a week. We mow over 70 places in our county and do quite a bit of driving....... I was stopping at the station 3 times per week BECAUSE OF MOWERS. My truck (97 powerstroke) would go all week no problems but the mowers needed it darn near daily.

Hell if you get a tank for your truck you don't even have to go to the station with a trailer anymore. At the end of the week I unhook the trailer find the cheapest gas price and go fill my tank back up..............

Its has really made things easier for me. also don't have ppl on the clock while getting gas.

By the way, someone mentioned something about a tank on the front of the trailer tongue and that was what I was going to do...... A friend of mine got checked by the DOT boys the other day and told him that was not legal to have it mounted on the outside of the trailer. Be careful doing that.

I tried the trailer caddy...... it sucks compared to just having the tank in the truck. Also if you find a really good price on gas somewhere you can pump the excess in your truck, fill up the mowers and then get the cheap gas at the station with the great deal..........

Im rambling, sorry. Works great for me......

GSO LAWNEN4CER
09-18-2012, 03:53 AM
Gas cans work for me.