PDA

View Full Version : How To: Bed Cutting

cutman2000
09-13-2012, 10:22 PM
I was approached by a potential customer and they are wanting their flower beds cut. I was wondering how some of you are doing this. I only have a stick edger. And I do have spades. I'm posting a few pictures of what I think are ideal. Please post pics of what you did and how if possible. I have heard of the Bed Edger, but that's not in my budget right now.
#1. How do you do this?
#2. How much/How do you charge?

charmill26
09-13-2012, 10:48 PM
spade shovel. they sell a goofy edger shovel thing but I don't see it making it go any faster. I use my stick edger to "draw" the initial line. Seems to be easier to keep the line/curve straighter. Edging is very easy just a little time consuming but good money. If they are small beds and you don't have space to get rid of the dirt clumps then factor in hauling them away. Usually I use my tiller when I'm done to disperse of the grass/dirt from the edges. I charge 1.00 a foot or more. Your work has to show the price you charge

charmill26
09-13-2012, 10:58 PM
heres a few I found. Make sure you go deep enough so you can maintain the edge after mulching. Nothing more annoying than having mulch sitting on the grass every week.

jj123
09-13-2012, 10:58 PM
#1 With one of these. A bed edger machine, you can rent them at your local equipment rental place.
#2 I Charge them the rental price and then a per sq./ft. price. (example $1.25 sq./ft.)

charmill26
09-13-2012, 11:02 PM
How deep do those go? Only time I've seen them used was by half ass companies and they only went 2-3" tops which doesnt do anything. I'm not doubting them at all. I'm just curious.

cutman2000
09-13-2012, 11:04 PM
You did this with a stick edger?

cutman2000
09-13-2012, 11:05 PM
heres a few I found. Make sure you go deep enough so you can maintain the edge after mulching. Nothing more annoying than having mulch sitting on the grass every week.
what all did you use to make these beds?

jj123
09-13-2012, 11:11 PM
charmill, they go down a good 3in. or so. They leave a really nice crisp clean edge. I usually come back with a strait edged shovel and dig it a little deeper if need be.

charmill26
09-13-2012, 11:16 PM
Noo stick edger doesn't do anything but "draw the line" for you to follow. You could do the same with a trimmer. Only used to draw the line. For me its easier for me to use the edger to draw out cleaner better flowing lines. After the stick edger bust out the spade shovel. I usually go through one pass with the spade to get the edge as deep as I want then go back through and clear out the dirt/grass. Then clean it up. It's extremely simple once you do it. Depending on the particular lawn I may go through at a 45* angle on the dirt side if needed to level it out a little

Gilmore.Landscaping
09-13-2012, 11:23 PM
Half moon shovel, I haven't gotten into huge properties so I can't even justify renting an edger yet. More pictures on the first page of pictures/work thread.

charmill26
09-14-2012, 12:20 AM
charmill, they go down a good 3in. or so. They leave a really nice crisp clean edge. I usually come back with a strait edged shovel and dig it a little deeper if need be.

I gotcha. Could save a lot of time but I don't see the price of one paying off because I'd have to go back through with a spade and make them deeper. I don't do anything HUGE though. Usually a couple hundred ft each property tops. I'd see the advantage though if I were doing say apartment complexes or commercial.

charmill26
09-14-2012, 12:25 AM
Half moon shovel, I haven't gotten into huge properties so I can't even justify renting an edger yet. More pictures on the first page of pictures/work thread.

Get yourself a spade shovel with a D handle. You'll be much happier with the results

Gilmore.Landscaping
09-14-2012, 12:40 AM
Get yourself a spade shovel with a D handle. You'll be much happier with the results

I have tried square spades, but it hard ground or rocky soil they are terrible. Maybe in light sandy soil but I haven;t had great luck with them. I am not the one looking for advise, I know what works for me and I stick with it.

kawasaki guy
09-14-2012, 05:43 PM
i use the shindaiwa trimmer. just go slow, and it looks just as nice as the other ways.

I turn it up-side down, and do it just like you would you would edge sidewalks with it. if their is alot of over growth, go a little slower.

cutman2000
09-14-2012, 10:53 PM
i use the shindaiwa trimmer. just go slow, and it looks just as nice as the other ways.

I turn it up-side down, and do it just like you would you would edge sidewalks with it. if their is alot of over growth, go a little slower.
So you're using your string trimmer? I've used the string trimmer to edge walk ways before, works pretty good. But are you telling me you're also using it to edge mulch/flower beds? And if so, you still have to scoop/clean the inside(bed) with a shovel, right?

kawasaki guy
09-15-2012, 06:46 AM
after you cut the edge, just use the trimmer to get it off the ground. then, then rake, (where needed)

kawasaki guy
09-15-2012, 07:07 AM
after you cut the edge, just use the trimmer to get it (the sod that grew in the flower beds after edging or what you would scoop) off the ground. then, then rake, (where needed)
Also, will post pice of what i mean this week.

just editing my last post (time limit ran out) it needed more info

charmill26
09-15-2012, 09:54 PM
I'm saying kawasaki guy is wrong but I don't understand where a trimmer could ever come in handy for it unless you're using a trimmer for the same reason I use an edger for. I dont understand what using a trimmer to get it off the ground means. I use an edger just to draw an outline on the grass. You can not use a trimmer to dig down 4-6 inches of dirt and clean it out of the way. Nothing other than a shovel is needed for a clean edge (a flat shovel if you want it to be as clean as it can be) and it is extremely simple once you spend the time to perfect it. Can find more pictures of real edges is wanted

zippy-phil
09-19-2012, 10:52 AM
following post