PDA

View Full Version : How to avoid trailer getting hit/damaged

JLSLLC
09-14-2012, 07:15 AM
Someone ran into my trailer AGAIN yesterday in traffic. I have a black open trailer and the gate has reflective tape. Also I put out Cone(s) for when the gate is down, But people also fly by coming very close, The brake lights also work... Just an annoyance, anybody else deal with this? Safety First:clapping:

blakescape
09-14-2012, 10:52 AM
You should put a whelen liberty lightbar on your truck. It has a traffic advisor built in. Turn that badboy on and people will see you from a mile away lol.

We put cones at the corners of our bobcat trailers even if the gate/ramps are up.

BrandonV
09-14-2012, 11:40 PM
maybe a couple of those flashing yellow leds on the top of the trailer, wouldn't use much power and they'd be high enough to catch someone's attention. next time buy a brighter colored trailer too?

Turf Commando
09-15-2012, 12:13 AM
Adding flashing lights doesn't change idiot drivers. Lights actually draws people to stare in return cause people to slow down .
Posted via Mobile Device

OakNut
09-15-2012, 12:39 AM
Heh. I feel your pain.

I use one of these on my truck to carry my Toro 21" when working in the city...

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_11478.jpg

The other day I pulled into a fast food place to use the restroom and in the two minutes I was away from the truck some fuqstick hit the carrier and took off.

:angry:

A witness got the plate for me. Time will tell if the police catch up with him for the hit and run.

At least he busted the end that doesn't have the ramp, so I can still use it until I get a replacement. The truck and the mower were not damaged.

LandFakers
09-15-2012, 02:15 PM
Heh. I feel your pain.

I use one of these on my truck to carry my Toro 21" when working in the city...

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_11478.jpg

The other day I pulled into a fast food place to use the restroom and in the two minutes I was away from the truck some fuqstick hit the carrier and took off.

:angry:

A witness got the plate for me. Time will tell if the police catch up with him for the hit and run.

At least he busted the end that doesn't have the ramp, so I can still use it until I get a replacement. The truck and the mower were not damaged.
That thing is so cool. Never seen anything like that before.

And like others have said, you cant fix stupid. I just put out 3-4 cones.

calvinslawnservices
09-15-2012, 06:33 PM
I have thought about this and the only thing I can think of is mounting brake lights in the middle of the gate. I think the problem is the lights are to far off to the sides that people tailgating you can't see the brake lights and cant judge distance, then they hit you when you hit the brakes.

Kelly's Landscaping
09-16-2012, 12:14 AM
My partner was driving our 16ft trailer this June and an old lady decided not look and she did 1800 in damage to it. The road is 1 lane but widens to 2 lanes where there are lights to turn off on to different roads. So this old lady pulls off the lane into the turn lane and then sees a cop and the road blocks roads closed. Does she wait nope decides to merge right into our trailer and bent one of the axles. Still haven't got around too fixing the fender I have had a new one sitting down stairs for months.

corey4671
09-16-2012, 02:27 AM
When I pull up to a property, I park across the street from the property heading into oncoming traffic. At least then. They might see the truck first. Some people are just idiots. I yell at at least two morons a day for driving entirely too fast through residential neighborhood streets.
Posted via Mobile Device

crivers
09-26-2012, 08:24 PM
When I pull up to a property, I park across the street from the property heading into oncoming traffic. At least then. They might see the truck first. Some people are just idiots. I yell at at least two morons a day for driving entirely too fast through residential neighborhood streets.
Posted via Mobile Device

Good thing your not in Spring Hill, TN. I got a ticket for parking agaist the flow of traffic. Apperently that is illegal here.

AintNoFun
09-29-2012, 09:36 AM
Someone ran into my trailer AGAIN yesterday in traffic. I have a black open trailer and the gate has reflective tape. Also I put out Cone(s) for when the gate is down, But people also fly by coming very close, The brake lights also work... Just an annoyance, anybody else deal with this? Safety First:clapping:

maybe you should find better spots to park your trailer?

Weekend cut easymoney
09-29-2012, 10:52 AM
Wish I had my camera ready yesterday....this cutter had his truck and trailer on a curve of a busy street....he was art least four feet out into the road...cones and all, I had to really try hard to miss his junk ..he'll get hisjunk damaged eventually
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
09-29-2012, 01:56 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Do that where I am and you'll get a nice fine, it's illegal! If someone does hit you there's a good chance you'll be found at fault.

corey4671
09-29-2012, 03:52 PM
Good thing your not in Spring Hill, TN. I got a ticket for parking agaist the flow of traffic. Apperently that is illegal here.

been working in Spring Hill since 2008 doing that very thing. Never had a problem. Cops pass me all the time. As a matter of fact, park right in front of a cops house. Drive through some of these residential neighborhoods. It's rampant even with the residents.

bshustack
10-09-2012, 08:48 AM
I have thought about this and the only thing I can think of is mounting brake lights in the middle of the gate. I think the problem is the lights are to far off to the sides that people tailgating you can't see the brake lights and cant judge distance, then they hit you when you hit the brakes.

I was having the same prob.. I was almost hit more the a few times and once I had a guy just bump the gate. I wired all new led lights in much better then stock and added a center light to the trailer too.

Pietro
10-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Put 15 cones out, a nice long line of them. Then they might look up once they started hitting the cones.

mowerbrad
10-09-2012, 12:14 PM
There really is no way to avoid some drivers. While stopped, it doesn't matter how many flashing lights you use, people will still hit you. There can be 2 police cars, 3 fire trucks and an ambulance at a car accident and people still end up hitting one of the fire trucks blocking traffic. How does someone miss a 30'+ long truck with tons of flashing LED's and an entire back end covered with reflective chevrons?

Cones can work okay but there is a certain method to cones. If you check out one of the DOT sites you will find a method to setting out cones. For example if you are parked on the side of a road where the speed limit is 35mph, you need to start setting cones out say 200' behind the rear of your vehicle and have them spaced 10' apart (those are not the actual numbers used, but you get the idea). Placing 3 cones 10-20' behind your trailer really won't do much, if a driver hits the first cone, he really won't have much time to react (even if he realizes he is about to hit your trailer) since you only gave him 20' behind your trailer. Your only hope is that the driver sees these bright orange cones from down the street and takes notice of them before its too late.

My opinion is that if you are working on a busy road or faster road, park in the customer's driveway so you are out of traffic. Or if there is a large enough shoulder, make sure to pull off the road entirely.

Porkins
10-12-2012, 08:21 PM
http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2010/12/29/1225977/667740-stop-sticks-major-event.jpg

Put a set out with your cones. It should do the trick.

FYI, I'm joking of course.