PDA

View Full Version : Wow! Strange request for my services.

KrayzKajun
09-14-2012, 06:00 PM
As some of yall may have seen, hundreds of cattle and other animals drowned when the storm surge rolled through parts of Plaquemines Parish. So far less than 100 have been revovered. Alot of the area is still under water and the carcasses are hidden in the debris. A company was contracted to remove the find and remove the remians. I was contacted by this company to assist in the finding and recovery of the remains. Here is my question, he wants a daily rate for just ME to supervise and direct his crew being i know the area, and daily rate for truck,dumptrailer,skidsteer and tractor as a group. Ive never really priced my equipment out on a daily rate. I usually price out a job as a whole. Ive never had to price myself out without equipment.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
09-14-2012, 07:21 PM
Starting point might be the typical rental cost of your gear plus your man hour charge bumped up for supervisory duties.
Posted via Mobile Device

AEL
09-14-2012, 07:41 PM
I can tell you what I would charge here, but our rates migh be more then yours...
Posted via Mobile Device

KrayzKajun
09-14-2012, 07:51 PM
I can tell you what I would charge here, but our rates migh be more then yours...
Posted via Mobile Device

Sean u can email me jacob @ one krayzee kajun .com ( remove the spaces lol)
Posted via Mobile Device

grandview (2006)
09-14-2012, 07:58 PM
Sounds like 145 an hour for yourself and 125 an hour for each piece of equipment.

C Jovingo Landscaping
09-14-2012, 08:11 PM
Sounds like 145 an hour for yourself and 125 an hour for each piece of equipment.

Prices sound a little steep. $1000 per 8hr for each piece of equipment. Not sure what rental prices are today but I priced rental on skidsteer years ago & it was about $250 for a day. Skidsteer might be around $1000-$1500 week at rental place I'm sure truck, dump trailer & tractor rental would be less than a skidsteer.
Posted via Mobile Device

grandview (2006)
09-14-2012, 08:15 PM
Emergency rates. prices go through the roof ,between FEMA and insurance companies paying the bill you can get that.

C Jovingo Landscaping
09-14-2012, 08:34 PM
Oh, i see! If Krayz's daily rates are to high wouldn't the guy that is trying to contract him, just goto Sunbelt Rentals to rent the equipment. If the contract was already givin to 1st person, then 1st person would be payin Krayz. So if 1st person can save money, that would be more profit for them. That is how I am seeing it. Didn't sound like FEMA or Insurance company was contracting him.
Posted via Mobile Device

grandview (2006)
09-14-2012, 09:05 PM
Oh, i see! If Krayz's daily rates are to high wouldn't the guy that is trying to contract him, just goto Sunbelt Rentals to rent the equipment. If the contract was already givin to 1st person, then 1st person would be payin Krayz. So if 1st person can save money, that would be more profit for them. That is how I am seeing it. Didn't sound like FEMA or Insurance company was contracting him.
Posted via Mobile Device

He might want a daily rate so he can submit his price. Bumped up of course.

alldayrj
09-14-2012, 09:07 PM
Equip with operators included? 100/hour per piece easy. You deserve 100 per hour too minimum
Posted via Mobile Device

C Jovingo Landscaping
09-14-2012, 09:21 PM
Wow! We don't get hurricanes here in OH, Lol! Barely get tornados around me.
Posted via Mobile Device

knox gsl
09-14-2012, 09:35 PM
I would want $200/hour/machine with opp. to load out dead livestock plus my per hour management fee.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
09-14-2012, 09:42 PM
Picking around the louisiana swamp with a loader looking for bloated rotting livestock that is going to explode the minute you touch it. Hope you got enclosed cabs. Sounds like a huge stinkfest.
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
09-14-2012, 09:43 PM
Ya, I would be bidding high on that crud.

Not only will you be wading in knee high water, you'll be wading in knee high carcass water.

I'd want to be paid good for any potential doctor bill I'd have after that job.

KrayzKajun
09-14-2012, 09:56 PM
I went and got a Tetanus shot today. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
09-14-2012, 10:01 PM
I went and got a Tetanus shot today. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

I'd be worried more about the Plague.

Patriot Services
09-14-2012, 10:03 PM
Dead mad cow ecoli swamp rot syndrome.
Posted via Mobile Device

KrayzKajun
09-14-2012, 10:14 PM
Dead mad cow ecoli swamp rot syndrome.
Posted via Mobile Device

Now thats funny.
Posted via Mobile Device

C Jovingo Landscaping
09-14-2012, 10:20 PM
After the past couple above posts I can see the prices not being bad. I forgot about the job at hand when I saw the equipment rates. :-/
Posted via Mobile Device

grandview (2006)
09-14-2012, 10:38 PM
just poke it with a sharp stick

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5306/5749623634_c61a324c5f_b.jpg

White Gardens
09-14-2012, 10:42 PM
I think it's ripe for pickin....

knox gsl
09-14-2012, 10:44 PM
Almost done, just add swamp water, humidity and heat.
Posted via Mobile Device

knox gsl
09-14-2012, 10:46 PM
Won't the gators and nutrea just eat them.
Posted via Mobile Device

KrayzKajun
09-14-2012, 10:52 PM
We will be picking up dead gators,hogs,deer whatever animal remains we come across.
Posted via Mobile Device

deerewashed
09-15-2012, 12:43 AM
seems like that would be a good tv show....dead animal hunting.....would give the turtleman a run for his money.

YellowDogSVC
09-15-2012, 12:48 AM
I've done this before though it was on ranch land removing dead cows from thick woods. I think I removed 7 in one day. Had to cut my way into some places, get the animals pulled out with the Bobcat and loaded on a trailer where I had to then unload them at another location for burning.

It's nasty work. Your machines, if they are cab and air, will smell awful for weeks. Ditto for the trailers and attachments. The animals I was tasked with removing had only been dead 6 days and though it was summer, the carcasses still had sufficient strength to hold together while moving around though anything and everything dripped or fell out of vulture holes.

I would charge your normal daily rate plus 50% premium just for the disease and disgust factor. If you normally charge 90 per hour, I'd look at 130-140/hr. $1200 a day isn't unreasonable for the risk of sinking a machine or getting sick.

As for rentals, sunbelt isn't going to want their machines in the muck and stench.. possibly looking at big cleaning bill plus the operator is being paid for the expertise of knowing the area and risk of sinking a machine where it might still be flooded.
If they don't want to pay, let someone else take the risk. You probably don't need the practice. It is a cool sounding job if you can handle the disgusting part. I have moved a lot of dead (human) bodies over the years and was prepared for the smells. Even with cab and air, I had to hold my breath a few times but I have to say it was pretty cool to do the recovery.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=277789

bobcat_ron
09-15-2012, 08:45 AM
FeBreeze will make your machines and clothing smell better. If all else fails, grab a portable ozone generator and park the machine inside a shipping container and let it sit over night with the generator on.
Posted via Mobile Device

KrayzKajun
09-15-2012, 09:33 AM
Thanks fellas. I was in the ballpark range of $2500/day for truck,dump trailer, skid and tractor.includes 2 equipment operators, truck/dump trailer driver, groundman. And for me i was thinking in the $350-450 range
Posted via Mobile Device

ELS Landscape
09-15-2012, 09:49 AM
Thanks fellas. I was in the ballpark range of $2500/day for truck,dump trailer, skid and tractor.includes 2 equipment operators, truck/dump trailer driver, groundman. And for me i was thinking in the $350-450 range
Posted via Mobile Device

You are cutting your me rate short IMHO.

PerfectEarth
09-15-2012, 09:59 AM
Good Lord, I'd skip this job offer.

KrayzKajun
09-15-2012, 10:07 AM
You are cutting your me rate short IMHO.

I just cant see charging someone $100hr for me to help/supervise. Hows my rate for the equipment? It may include another truck for hauling the skid/tractor.
Posted via Mobile Device

ELS Landscape
09-15-2012, 10:19 AM
I just cant see charging someone $100hr for me to help/supervise. Hows my rate for the equipment? It may include another truck for hauling the skid/tractor.
Posted via Mobile Device

I do not know enough about your equipment to say but I would price the rates the rental places have and that would be my target. I would would ask for the full boat rental too, Insurance and all! Consider fuel too.

You and I both know supervise means manage. :waving:

Lets say you want to make $50.00 for your time. That is $500.00 based on a 10 hour day and it could be closer to 12 hours.

Then you have your taxes, you have your insurance and you have to account for vacation time too. You betcha... if you bid a Gov job they ask you to break out labor, insurance, payroll and benifits. I would say a minimum of 45% and if you were going through a staffing agency they would put on 65%~ 69% markup to cover labor burden and profit.

Lets say you are going to pay your help 1.5 times their regular pay for hazardous duty. You better plan on a 10 hour safety training course too.

Lets say your guys are going to make $20.00 for doing this job. ( look up the DOL pay rate and union pay rates as this is a GOV job. ) then add 65%.

I will see if I can find you some labor rates.... BRB

ELS Landscape
09-15-2012, 10:28 AM
http://www.empowerlouisiana.org/Documents/Davis-Bacon%20Act%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf

Effective June 17, 2012, the new Health and Welfare Fringe Benefit Rates will increase for all Service Contract Act wage determinations.
http://www.wdol.gov/

Do not forget to have safety meetings daily....

I am still looking but you can call the LA offices too.

ELS Landscape
09-15-2012, 10:37 AM
http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes471011.htm

This is for the supervisor.
At the least I would be looking at the heavy construction wages.

http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes472073.htm

This is for the EQ operators.

http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes474041.htm

This is for hazardous materials workers.

KrayzKajun
09-15-2012, 10:44 AM
Glad im not working for the Govt. this is a wildlife recovery company , who is realizing they are under equipped for the task at hand.
Posted via Mobile Device

ELS Landscape
09-15-2012, 10:47 AM
So taking the mean wage which is not an average wage but the middle wage in all wages reported at 45.85. In LA it is 37.27.
I still think 45.85 is a starting place.

Hazard pay 55.00 plus burden @ 30% = 71.5
Then your markup 30% = 92.95 per hour for you.
$950 for a daily rate.

Do the same for your workers. Keep in mind you will have to pay them what you quote too but they should make extra money on this kind of a job.

and this looks to be 18.74 in LA or 23.61 national mean wages.

ELS Landscape
09-15-2012, 10:48 AM
Glad im not working for the Govt. this is a wildlife recovery company , who is realizing they are under equipped for the task at hand.
Posted via Mobile Device

I assure you they are contracting with FEMA and the rules apply. :drinkup:

ELS Landscape
09-15-2012, 10:56 AM
I've done this before though it was on ranch land removing dead cows from thick woods. I think I removed 7 in one day. Had to cut my way into some places, get the animals pulled out with the Bobcat and loaded on a trailer where I had to then unload them at another location for burning.

It's nasty work. Your machines, if they are cab and air, will smell awful for weeks. Ditto for the trailers and attachments. The animals I was tasked with removing had only been dead 6 days and though it was summer, the carcasses still had sufficient strength to hold together while moving around though anything and everything dripped or fell out of vulture holes.

I would charge your normal daily rate plus 50% premium just for the disease and disgust factor. If you normally charge 90 per hour, I'd look at 130-140/hr. $1200 a day isn't unreasonable for the risk of sinking a machine or getting sick.

As for rentals, sunbelt isn't going to want their machines in the muck and stench.. possibly looking at big cleaning bill plus the operator is being paid for the expertise of knowing the area and risk of sinking a machine where it might still be flooded.
If they don't want to pay, let someone else take the risk. You probably don't need the practice. It is a cool sounding job if you can handle the disgusting part. I have moved a lot of dead (human) bodies over the years and was prepared for the smells. Even with cab and air, I had to hold my breath a few times but I have to say it was pretty cool to do the recovery.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=277789

Pretty much have to lock the eq in a closed container and use some Ozone. You have to worry about the Ozone destroying wiring and oxidizing stuff.
Maybe about 3 to 4 hours of ozone will kill the smell and not harm the equipment.

Which leads to buying hard hats, gloves, boots and coveralls and such which likely need to be cleaned and disposed of later.

KrayzKajun
09-15-2012, 12:04 PM
Well about to submit my rates. Guess we shall see how it goes.
Posted via Mobile Device

ELS Landscape
09-15-2012, 12:08 PM
Well about to submit my rates. Guess we shall see how it goes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Good luck! Hope you get it but make it worth it!

PerfectEarth
09-15-2012, 03:45 PM
If you get it, please DON'T post pics.

KrayzKajun
09-15-2012, 04:26 PM
If you get it, please DON'T post pics.

Weak stomach? Lol definitly wouldnt post pics of the animal remains.
Posted via Mobile Device

YellowDogSVC
09-15-2012, 05:57 PM
I'd like to see the pics... gruesome but part of life and death. I try not to poke fun at the situation but I'd like to see all potential types of work.

ELS Landscape
09-15-2012, 05:57 PM
Weak stomach? Lol definitly wouldnt post pics of the animal remains.
Posted via Mobile DeviceThe **** falling apart and the juice coming out is a bad visual but add the smells and that tops it off.