PDA

View Full Version : Concrete slab quote

AWJ Services
09-14-2012, 09:05 PM
What would you charge for a 35 x 50 slab with 5 inches 4000 psi concrete, rebar, plastic and 4 inches stone. No footers. No grading, just level the rock, rebar, plastic and cut.

The Concrete here is about 120.00yard. the stone is 21.00 a ton.curious what I should expect to pay. The first quoate was quite offensive.

dozerman21
09-14-2012, 10:15 PM
Just guessing, I would think that a contractor could make a fair profit if it was in the neighborhood of $6,500-$7K. That would be around a $2K+ profit minus labor, and a good small crew could knock that out in less than a day. Concrete prices are all over the place in my experiences working around many different crews. I would get estimates from several different competent contractors. I'm sure at least one will be over $10K.

grandview (2006)
09-14-2012, 10:20 PM
Anywhere from 4.00 and up per sqsf.

alldayrj
09-15-2012, 12:32 PM
i wouldn't do it for less than 6/foot with bar, stone, plastic etc. so 10,500. cash.

JNB Construction
09-15-2012, 05:15 PM
i wouldn't do it for less than 6/foot with bar, stone, plastic etc. so 10,500. cash.

+1

I probably wouldn't get it though. There's too many chumps around here willing to work for wages.

AWJ Services
09-15-2012, 05:22 PM
Here the materials will be about 4500.00 .

JNB Construction
09-15-2012, 05:35 PM
If it were my job, or my house for that matter, I would prepare the slab with help from a couple laborers, order concrete and have a crew come in and pour it. I have a crew here that will pour for a buck a foot (sometimes less) and hand tool the joints. If the project called for sawcut joints I'd do them myself, since I have a saw.

alldayrj
09-15-2012, 05:36 PM
+1

I probably wouldn't get it though. There's too many chumps around here willing to work for wages.

Yup. People are crazy especially when it comes to concrete. I have literally laughed in a customers face after hearing the other prices they received.
Posted via Mobile Device

AWJ Services
09-15-2012, 05:45 PM
The construction industry is so bad around that prices I can charge are equal to what was being paid in the year 2000. So I was really shocked that the first bid the guy had 6000.00 dollars profit in a less than 2 day job? I know the cost of living is higher up North than here so I do take that into account with every ones posts.

alldayrj
09-15-2012, 06:16 PM
with concrete, there is no do overs. That responsibility is expensive. Also skilled concrete finishers want to work for 300 or 500 per day
Posted via Mobile Device

AWJ Services
09-15-2012, 06:39 PM
with concrete, there is no do overs. That responsibility is expensive. Also skilled concrete finishers want to work for 300 or 500 per day
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree about the doovers. It's the same with my septic work. There is no taking it back out of the ground.

Here skilled laborers bring about 150 a day. Day laborers bring about 75 a day.

dozerman21
09-15-2012, 07:00 PM
I don't do concrete work, but I'm around it all the time and I do a lot of base preps. Concrete finishers pay here is around $20/Hr. Other than maybe coming back to cut the joints, that job would be done in less than a 10 hour day here, with 4 or 5 guys working on it. I had figured $4,500 for materials too. More power to anyone who can get more, but I wouldn't pay anywhere near $10K for that job if I was AWJ. Is it for a garage or barn?

alldayrj
09-15-2012, 08:30 PM
I have seen some jobs where you can tell they paid 4/foot. Trust me. There is always that rare exception where a good concrete guy is starving and does good work for free but up here the price floor is usually 6/foot unless we're talking a couple thousand feet. Some goons swoop in and get lots of work for 5.50/foot but they operate on volume and not quality
Posted via Mobile Device

SVA_Concrete
09-15-2012, 09:55 PM
8 to 10 k

We would likely use a pump

We use a soff-cut saw to cut as soon as troweling is finished.

alldayrj
09-15-2012, 10:11 PM
Do you rent a pump or own one? I'm looking at a patio thats 27 yds and I'm not sure how i want to do it. Never used a pump before
Posted via Mobile Device

SVA_Concrete
09-15-2012, 11:04 PM
We rent a pump. Prefer overhead pump.

If you line pump figure extra man power to move the line.

Figure on alot of concrete splatter-- poly on everything

2 inch line pumps require a special mix. Laden with portland, it will set like a firecracker. Hard to keep from crazing on a warm day.

alldayrj
09-15-2012, 11:08 PM
Not worried about finishing, just need to bullfloat since pavers are going on it. Thanks for the insight. I'm thinking this will be the easiest way to set the wire etc and bang it out
Posted via Mobile Device

AWJ Services
09-16-2012, 10:54 AM
I don't do concrete work, but I'm around it all the time and I do a lot of base preps. Concrete finishers pay here is around $20/Hr. Other than maybe coming back to cut the joints, that job would be done in less than a 10 hour day here, with 4 or 5 guys working on it. I had figured $4,500 for materials too. More power to anyone who can get more, but I wouldn't pay anywhere near $10K for that job if I was AWJ. Is it for a garage or barn?

It will be for my garage. It will be a pole barn style building but fully enclosed. I made a post several months ago for advice on how to pour it correctly and got educated so I can make a better decision on concrete contractor.

SVA_Concrete
09-16-2012, 11:11 AM
You can typically expect to pay higher prices when pouring under a roof. Especially in cool weather. Due to wasted labor waiting on drying time.

Talk to the mix supplier, bump up the water reducer. It will help to keep bleed water down

AWJ Services
09-16-2012, 12:26 PM
You can typically expect to pay higher prices when pouring under a roof. Especially in cool weather. Due to wasted labor waiting on drying time.

Talk to the mix supplier, bump up the water reducer. It will help to keep bleed water down

I will hopefully stand up posts and maybe roof trusses then pour is what I was thinking would be best.