PDA

View Full Version : grass packer catcher?

MowingIL
09-15-2012, 10:30 PM
anyone ever used the grass packer catcher? iam still leaning towards the accelerator but want to check out all my options. they dont make a grass gobbler or rack em for my mower a lesco 34'' stand on. grass packer is made of durable plastic but iam still a little leary. any other catchers you guys know about let me know. thanks.

Richard Martin
09-16-2012, 08:42 AM
My Grass Packer now has 9 years on it and it looks like I bought it yesterday. I did replace the rubber door latch cord last year. They are very durable and hold up very well. I did place a piece of aluminum flashing along one side to cut down on the small particle of grass coming out of the catcher but it has had no effect on the catcher's ability to completely fill up.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/mower%20stuff/DSC00178.jpg

Golfpro21
09-16-2012, 10:33 AM
wow that grass catcher looks great. we have a gobbler for the wright mower, but we hate it, so darn heavy...might look into getting one of those

MowingIL
09-16-2012, 12:34 PM
My Grass Packer now has 9 years on it and it looks like I bought it yesterday. I did replace the rubber door latch cord last year. They are very durable and hold up very well. I did place a piece of aluminum flashing along one side to cut down on the small particle of grass coming out of the catcher but it has had no effect on the catcher's ability to completely fill up.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/mower%20stuff/DSC00178.jpg
Wow, does appear to be in great shape. Is that a crack on the bottom though? That's kinda what I was afraid of with the plastic after hitting objects. Thanks for your feedback.
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
09-16-2012, 12:39 PM
Wow, does appear to be in great shape. Is that a crack on the bottom though? That's kinda what I was afraid of with the plastic after hitting objects. Thanks for your feedback.

Nope, no cracks. It's just a gouge from where I hit something one time. It didn't go all of the way through the poly. These catchers are TOUGH! I don't even remember doing it.

TriCountyLawn
09-16-2012, 12:53 PM
Why wouldnt you get an Accelerator? Seems like a no brainer. good luck.

Richard Martin
09-16-2012, 01:10 PM

The Grass Packer is cheaper, will last longer and is easier to use. Seems like a no brainer to me.

cgaengineer
09-16-2012, 01:57 PM

They are heavy and the aluminum cannot take the vibration.
Posted via Mobile Device

TriCountyLawn
09-16-2012, 02:39 PM
The Grass Packer is cheaper, will last longer and is easier to use. Seems like a no brainer to me.

They are heavy and the aluminum cannot take the vibration.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well for one, the GP has steel on it at the inlet and its mounting hardware. No available extension for leaves that I know of.

Empty Weight -

Accelerator - 17.5lbs (As per accelerators rep PeterA here on LS.)
Grasspacker - 20.0 lbs ( Grasspackers website)

There both far beyond a steel or cloth catcher.

Richard Martin
09-16-2012, 02:51 PM
There both far beyond a steel or cloth catcher.

Agreed. They are both worthy contenders for being the best catcher.

Roger
09-16-2012, 03:03 PM
I have a Grass Packer that I use on my JD 717A, 48" ZTR. I use it very sparingly, and was a good solution for my needs. I intended to use it very little, and that has been the case.

Yes, it is very durable. It empties easy. It does fully fill like I would like, but the issue is minor.

As to Richard's point, during dry, dusty conditions, it will spit out small debris toward the mower. Other than a cloth bagger with a large backing plate, what other catcher does not spit out small debris from the holes toward the mower? The more small debris that isn't held in the bagger, the better.

Have said some good things, I would not consider the side bagger idea for substantial amount of bagging. For my 48" mower, it fills quickly, and takes time to stop, off/dump/on, etc. It is not a good solution for high volume bagging, including leaf pickup. Since I had no requirement for high-volume bagging, the less expensive Grass Packer was the best solution.

I do have a Gobbler for my 36" w/b, and it works well. If I was going to replace the Gobbler, I would go for the Grass Packer in a minute.