PDA

View Full Version : 3 questions about overseeding

Kings of Green LLC
09-16-2012, 03:21 AM
I mowed my yard "short" about 3 inches on my walker then i put down my seed and fert. Then i ran a slicer over it. My first question is what to do about all thatch that the slicer brought to the top? Since i already have the seed down can i run my walker back over the lawn to pick up the thatch? Also do you guys seed then aerate.or aerate then slice and seed?
Posted via Mobile Device

Smallaxe
09-16-2012, 06:49 AM
Why not just mulch the dead grass leaves back into the turf... you see people use straw,,, well the dead grass debris orks the same way,,, even better...

Aeration isn't necessarily part of the seeding process... you have your seed planted,,, why do you want to aerate???

PerfectEarth
09-16-2012, 07:28 AM
Rake up the thatch by hand. You don't have to get it all. It will also help "work" some of the seed into the slices for better soil contact. I wouldn't mow again.

Kings of Green LLC
09-16-2012, 08:48 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Kings of Green LLC
09-16-2012, 08:51 AM
Sorry my question was on a unseeded yard that is going to be aereated do you put the seed down first and the aerate over the seed?
Posted via Mobile Device

PerfectEarth
09-16-2012, 09:47 AM
Aerify first, then seed. The seeder will help break up the cores and provide a better overall seedbed.

Kings of Green LLC
09-16-2012, 10:11 AM
That sounds good! Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

McFarland_Lawn_Care
09-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Ya that is what I have done in years past, aerate, then power slit seed, then fert. But I hate that power seeder that we rent - this year I'm trying something new. Aerate, then spread seed, then use a commercial heavy dragmat to drag the lawn to scratch in the cores and seeds. We'll see how well it works.

RigglePLC
09-16-2012, 09:48 PM
So far neither side has provided proof as to what works the best for overseeding. Aerate, seed, and drag. Seed, then aerate, then drag. Slit seed then aerate, then drag. Triple seed--and no prep. Remove dead grass--put dead grass back for mulch--as if it were straw to cover the seed.

Try more than one method--and--tell us which is best. If you have a favorite method, what proof do you have that it is better than other methods?

Of course, a lot depends on if it is bluegrass, rye, tall fescue or a mix. And irrigation or weather.
And overseeding of Bermuda for winter color--is a whole different ball game.

Smallaxe
09-17-2012, 08:05 AM
One benefit of leaving as much organic matter on the soil as poosible, is the unseen benefit for the soil... There is definate proof of soil structure... but I get where you're coming from as far as Proof,,, which process works best...

The biggest problem is going to be water and soil conditions, being so widely varied that no comparison is possible as far as providing "Proof"... I can get seed to grow in a puddle of a gravel driveway, but that doesn't prove anything...

I agree that it would be fun to hear how various processes have worked for people over the years...

I've refined my process down to cost effective as well as most effective, yet it is not a single process... :)