PDA

View Full Version : Bunton blades wont disengage.

murfpcola
09-16-2012, 08:59 AM
I just bought a Bunton 48" gear drive walk behind mower that was in the process of an engine swap. I used the belt that was already routed through the deck. With the blades disengaged I can crank the mower and it will run a few seconds then the belt grabs the pulley and the blades start turning. I adjusted the idler pully further away from the blades. I adjusted the little L brackets away from the pulleys a little bit. I then tightened the brake band that stops the blades from turning. When I cranked it they did not turn but I could see smoke from where the engine pulley was rubbing on the belt. My thoughts are that the belt is too small. The mower is well used and Im sure has had many people work on it over the years so anything is possible. I am pretty mechanical but have never worked on a mower like this. I also dont have a manual for it yet. My question is if I have the tensioner adjusted where it is not really pushing in on the belt and the deck still turns, Does it seem like the belt is probably too small? thanks for any input!!

murfpcola
09-16-2012, 09:46 PM
Any input? Does it sound like the belt is too short?

murfpcola
09-20-2012, 07:14 PM
Found number on belt and it is the correct belt. I was able to download a parts manual for this mower. Still tinkering with my wont disengage problem. Any advice?? At one point I tightened the blade brake but when I cranked the mower The belt was trying to grab and making a squealing sound. Do I just keep loosening the tensioner? One thought I have is the engine pulley may have been swapped and is too narrow for the belt not allowing it to slip like it should. This mower was kind of a basket case that I had to put back together and I am sure has been worked on by many people in the past so anything is possible. Any tips or suggestions are appreciated!!

ztman
09-20-2012, 07:23 PM
If it was in the middle of an engine swap, they may have done some other work, like replacing the pullys with ones they had laying around. Make sure they are the right size

murfpcola
09-20-2012, 07:56 PM
Yeah thanks for the input. Checking out the pulleys is my next step. Hopefully I can find part numbers on them to compare. The pulleys were on the engine with the hole in the block but the set screws were missing. This does not mean they are correct because the mower will still work fine as long as you dont need to shut off the blades. I broke one of the brake bands that was pretty much worn through, so I am now trying to find some bands. They are apparently discontinued so trying to find some old stock but also doing some thinking about cutting down one for an Exmark and welding the end back on.

ztman
09-20-2012, 10:11 PM
good luck, you will have to come up with a new name for that mower by the time you get done