PDA

View Full Version : Scotts Super Grass Seed Good or Bad

ed2hess
09-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Does anybody have experience with this product and how is it different?

Duekster
09-16-2012, 08:15 PM
I think it is a mulch and seed combo for patching but really do not do scotts. This bag only covers 420 sf, is is mostly mulch to hold water so the seeds germinate. If you are patching a lawn then ok.

cpllawncare
09-16-2012, 08:51 PM
Tried it on some patch jobs didn't really work very well

macgyver_GA
09-16-2012, 09:11 PM
You're paying a lot of money for the name on the bag too.

There are so many other products out there that are more cost effective and will yield the same results.

RigglePLC
09-16-2012, 11:28 PM
True, as Duekster said, it is not really grass seed. It is mulch with some grass seed included. Note that it says it is for Bermuda lawns. Read the back of the package carefully; is it Bermuda grass? Rye? Both? Is it for winter green? Spring planting?

If you want good seed--get Scotts without the mulch. Turfbuilder Sun and Shade is a good bet. Scotts has high quality (low weed seeds, and high disease-resistance) compared to the other retail brands, but even so, most of Scotts seed is 50 percent coating by weight. And the government still lets them call it "grass seed". Sort of like adding 50 percent sawdust. I suppose the coating helps in the germination...maybe.
The bag will seed 420 sqft. That is a circle with a diameter of 23 feet.

Scotts best seed is called "Courtyard" Kentucky bluegrass; its an improved type similar to "Midnight" Kentucky bluegrass, a very dark green type.

ed2hess
09-17-2012, 08:52 PM
It is bermuda seed and yes it has a ground up mulch and a starter fertilize. My experience with getting bermuda started is that you have to water it a couple times a day for 14 days. Now this has both hulded and unhulded seed. It has date of use which is good I remember from my days watching my father grow/sell seed wheat that is important. Short of hydro mulch with the seed it isn't easy to get it to start. Am I wrong?

RigglePLC
09-17-2012, 10:12 PM
Hess,
You are 2000 posts and 2000 miles from me. Not sure about Bermuda. Hulled seed is better...right? Bermuda is usually planted when the temp rises above 85 in spring...but I don't have Bermuda experience. Except trying to get rid of it, locally.

ed2hess
09-17-2012, 10:24 PM
Hess,
You are 2000 posts and 2000 miles from me. Not sure about Bermuda. Hulled seed is better...right? Bermuda is usually planted when the temp rises above 85 in spring...but I don't have Bermuda experience. Except trying to get rid of it, locally.

Well the reason they throw in the non hulled is it will hang around for a longer time and wait for rain I guess. And yes we need high temp and we will get that back this week. We don't do much grass planting but we got a nasty little problem with getting coverage on an area that was torn up when a parking lot was put in. The city is holding a bunch of money until they are satisified and we tried all kyear long. And we can't use rye grass or any of the weedy grasses that would sprout and grow well .

xtreem3d
09-19-2012, 08:45 PM
I'm curious if anyone knows if the seed you find at local retail stores even breaks the top 20 in any trials ? I can't locate any recent seed trials, only asking because whenever it comes up with a salesman they just laugh.
Steve

RigglePLC
09-19-2012, 09:16 PM
Scotts buys most of their seed, I suspect, like anyone else--from the growers and brokers in Oregon. For instance many of their blends contain Silver Dollar perennial rye--which is a highly rated variety in the National Turfgrass Evaluation Program. NTEP.org.
Their most often used bluegrass is "Abbey". Their best bluegrass is "Courtyard" an improved form of Midnight. Take a look at their ''Professional " seed for the sod quality stuff, (50 pound bags). Also take a look at their "Stadium" grass for a type that is the same as your local MLB baseball field.

Their older cheaper blends contained "Victa" bluegrass--similar to Baron.

Only a few seed blends contain 100 percent seed from the top 20--such seed is in short supply.

xtreem3d
09-19-2012, 09:34 PM
I saw Pennington (listed as the seed mfg, not any certain variety) on a list of trials......they "grow" their own..true or false? You will never see Scott's listed in seed trials just the actual seed mfgr's of seed that might be in their mix?

greenstar lawn
09-19-2012, 11:07 PM
I have never had much luck with and Scotts seed. Although I never did hear of the different blends u speak of Riggles

I get my grass seed from lesco(athletic blend or sun/shade mix) or from the elevator
Posted via Mobile Device