PDA

View Full Version : Muffler broke!

kawakx125
09-18-2012, 11:23 AM
my muffler broke after only 40hrs of use, the ''strap'' that runs above the exhaust tube and welds on to the actual muffler can broke at the muffler. looks to me like a poor design and/or bad welding. i'd assume the strap is there to act as a heat shield, now all it does is vibrate against the muffler and make a rattling noise. guess i'll be getting it into the shop over the winter and get that replaced under warranty, would it be a kawasaki thing or a wright issue? i'm using it too much right now i can't let it sit in the shop for a week before someone gets around to fixing it.

WrightCommercial
09-18-2012, 11:37 AM
kawakx125,

Is this on your RH?

Best Regards
Wright Mfg.

kawakx125
09-18-2012, 04:08 PM
yes, the 36'' with 18hp kawasaki. I'm not mad about it I just thought you might want to know about what appears to me could be a potential issue with others. we all know mufflers tend to rust more quickly than other things, and that strap is only held on by 2 little spot welds just seems like a prime candidate for breaking. again i'm not sure if thats a kawasaki or a wright issue or if you've ever even seen it happen before. the muffler is still held on by the bracket so its not going anywhere, just makes a bunch of noise with that thing vibrating. not sure if there's anything that can be done really, its my only mower right now and i can't chance being without it more than a day or two at the moment. i'm actually quite pleased with the mower now that i've had the chance to test out some different blades.

WrightCommercial
09-18-2012, 05:51 PM
kawakx125,

We have seen this issue from stress and how it was welded was changed, I will say the "2 little spot welds" is a red flag for an incomplete weld process it should have been welded more then that, those were just to set the position. It is our issue as it is an in house exhaust and should be replaced under warranty.

Best Regards
Wright Mfg.

kawakx125
09-18-2012, 07:11 PM
basically the corners are beveled on it and its just tacked on those bevels. if you're standing on the mower its the one on right side of muffler. all other bolts holding it on were tight, my guess like you said was incomplete weld process, the muffler hasn't ever been hit or anything.

kawakx125
10-01-2012, 09:45 PM
well now the other side broke today...is there any way you can send me a new muffler or arrange for my local dealer to weld it up in less than a day? i can't be without it any longer than that and if i know my local dealer they'll sit on it for a week. i don't care if it gets a new muffler or not just welded is fine with me, it's loud and annoying having to listen to it vibrate all the time

WrightCommercial
10-02-2012, 11:04 AM
kawakx125,

Go to our website in the contact area and sent an email to our service folder with a mailing address and we will send a new muffler directly to you.

Best Regards
Wrigth Mfg.

kawakx125
10-02-2012, 11:51 AM
awesome, that'd be great

Florida Gardener
10-02-2012, 12:34 PM
This is why I love wright and will buy from them again in the future.
Posted via Mobile Device

kawakx125
10-02-2012, 03:02 PM
agreed, they've been pretty helpful with any issues i've had or questions regarding the mower. once i discovered high lifts i've had no issues with cut quality or anything. i just don't particularly care for my local dealer after hearing many horror stories, i actually bought it from a dealer about an hour away and they were great but i just can't be without it for a few days, about every day after work i've got calls from people needing lawns mowed

Patriot Services
10-02-2012, 04:17 PM
This is why I love wright and will buy from them again in the future.
Posted via Mobile Device

No replacement for the original.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
10-02-2012, 05:26 PM
No replacement for the original.
Posted via Mobile Device

I know...I love the guys on here that want to tout scag and toro as having better standers.....sorry, dont agree.

Florida Gardener
10-02-2012, 05:34 PM
agreed, they've been pretty helpful with any issues i've had or questions regarding the mower. once i discovered high lifts i've had no issues with cut quality or anything. i just don't particularly care for my local dealer after hearing many horror stories, i actually bought it from a dealer about an hour away and they were great but i just can't be without it for a few days, about every day after work i've got calls from people needing lawns mowed

Yea, having a good dealer is crucial. There are only 2 in my area I will go to. One is a big operation that has two locations and the other is a mom and pop that has been around a long time
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
10-02-2012, 05:35 PM
I know...I love the guys on here that want to tout scag and toro as having better standers.....sorry, dont agree.

On this note, I still have yet to see a grandstand out in the field here. Seen a couple vrides, but wright is king in the stander world here.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
10-02-2012, 05:56 PM

You won't hear that from me, though I do love my Toro WB.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
10-02-2012, 06:57 PM
You won't hear that from me, though I do love my Toro WB.
Posted via Mobile Device

I love that thread about the v-ride where you were saying you didn't like it and everyone was trying to make it like you didn't know what you were talking about.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
10-02-2012, 07:03 PM
I love that thread about the v-ride where you were saying you didn't like it and everyone was trying to make it like you didn't know what you were talking about.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah me too, and then a few weeks later another poster backs up my claims and says its worthless on hills...

I think I'll just buy a walker...cuts better than a reel, can hang vertical slopes, cuts wet grass without plugging or clumping lasts for a million hours with only oil changes and my customers will think I'm the business for owning one and I will never lose them...in fact I will actually pickup more customers just by having one.

Walker=Gods mower
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
10-02-2012, 07:07 PM
Yeah me too, and then a few weeks later another poster backs up my claims and says its worthless on hills...

I think I'll just buy a walker...cuts better than a reel, can hang vertical slopes, cuts wet grass without plugging or clumping lasts for a million hours with only oil changes and my customers will think I'm the business for owning one and I will never lose them...in fact I will actually pickup more customers just by having one.

Walker=Gods mower
Posted via Mobile Device

Put down the koolaid from that other thread. I only ran them for 8 years when they had Onan engines but I don't know anything about them
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
10-02-2012, 07:24 PM
Put down the koolaid from that other thread. I only ran them for 8 years when they had Onan engines but I don't know anything about them
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't think he directed that towards you...just some of the other walker fanatics.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
10-02-2012, 07:27 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Diamond is right, absolutely not aimed at you...
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
10-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Diamond is right, absolutely not aimed at you...
Posted via Mobile Device

I know you weren't aiming at me. I took as much crap from Walker God as he did.
Posted via Mobile Device

kawakx125
10-02-2012, 08:13 PM
99% of all standers you see around here are wrights. An I'd say standers are about 75% of what everyone uses. No apparent brand loyalty to any specific sit down ztr around here. We've got every dealer imaginable in a 50mile radius. I think there are no less than 5 wright dealers alone within 45min of my house...
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
10-02-2012, 08:19 PM
I know you weren't aiming at me. I took as much crap from Walker God as he did.
Posted via Mobile Device
My fav line was how he was going to take all the biz bc of his walker....I should use that as my tag line on my profile
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
10-02-2012, 08:20 PM
99% of all standers you see around here are wrights. An I'd say standers are about 75% of what everyone uses. No apparent brand loyalty to any specific sit down ztr around here. We've got every dealer imaginable in a 50mile radius. I think there are no less than 5 wright dealers alone within 45min of my house...
Posted via Mobile Device

Same here. I have literally seen 2 or 3 v rides here. Everyone from valley crest to your solo operation uses wrights
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
10-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Same here. I have literally seen 2 or 3 v rides
Posted via Mobile Device

My Scag dealer has 2 slightly scuffed v rides that were traded in. It just doesn't feel right, something odd about the layout.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
10-02-2012, 08:28 PM
My Scag dealer has 2 slightly scuffed v rides that were traded in. It just doesn't feel right, something odd about the layout.
Posted via Mobile Device

I think the GS looks the weirdest
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
10-02-2012, 09:12 PM
My fav line was how he was going to take all the biz bc of his walker....I should use that as my tag line on my profile
Posted via Mobile Device

Let him come to Chateu …lan with that Walker...
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
10-02-2012, 09:24 PM
We had a lady try that angle a few years back. Didn't make it a season and she was gone.
Posted via Mobile Device

kawakx125
10-04-2012, 08:15 AM
got an email from wright, muffler shipped out same day WrightCommercial told me to send their service dept. an email. now THAT is customer service!