PDA

View Full Version : removing bluegrass out of fescue

woodlawnservice
09-18-2012, 07:31 PM
My relatives lawn has an invasion of bluegrass... its an all fescue lawn here in Oklahoma due to the shade.its beautiful and perfect every year but his last 2 yrs he's has bluegrass.start coming up.... what's our. Options to remove this? He typically overdress in about 2 weeks from now.... the lawn gets irrigated daily from a well...
Posted via Mobile Device

RigglePLC
09-18-2012, 08:58 PM
Do you mean annual bluegrass? Poa annua?
By overdress do you mean topdress with soil...or...overseed with tall fescue? Both?

woodlawnservice
09-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

woodlawnservice
09-18-2012, 09:25 PM
Yes to annual bluegrass. He over seeds will tall fescue every year. Not top dress with soil...need something on label that's safe for the fescuse but kill the bluegrass.... should we just use gly. On whole yard and reseed? Hate to do that cause its a beautiful lawn. Just few problem areas where the bluegrass keeps coming back each year.... is it from bad seed?
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiTownAmateur
09-18-2012, 11:32 PM
Do this right my friend, if they have a beautiful lawn then make sure they follow the pros. Here is a link from OSU's team and I think terrific advice.

http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-1118/HLA-6423web.pdf

ChiTownAmateur
09-18-2012, 11:35 PM
It is not from bad seed. Crabgrass seeds are tiny and blow very far in the wind, travel on animals and birds. One plant can produce thousands of seeds, and the plants are typically everywhere. The best defense here is good offense (prevention).

The only thing you or they might be doing wrong is letting the areas grow long enough that seed heads form on them. Then somebody mows them...the seeds from the clippings spread and drop. Crabgrass seeds can sit dormant for years, and thus it is a problem that can go on and on. Once prevention is begun however, the problem will pretty much be gone in 1 or 2 seasons.

woodlawnservice
09-18-2012, 11:53 PM
I read the article and its very informative but I've yet to still read or find what chemical to use.... I can skip overseeding this fall because the lawn is so lush and thick if I have to just cause of the timing of the pre... this annual bluegrass is in the lawn year round... not just winter.... I hadn't found anything that's safe on the fescue but will knock out the annual bluegrass....
Posted via Mobile Device

woodlawnservice
09-18-2012, 11:54 PM
I do not have crabgrass problems that's simple enough to fix.... the problem is bluegrass in tall fescue lawn.... the bluegrass is different color (shade) of green and is noticeable
Posted via Mobile Device

woodlawnservice
09-19-2012, 08:24 PM
Anyone
Posted via Mobile Device

Smallaxe
09-19-2012, 08:29 PM
Doesn't the annual poa, die in the winter and have to come back from seed in the Spring,,, just like CG???
If so,,, then treat it like CG with pre-m and quit over watering it to encourage seed growth while stunting real grass maturity... :)

RigglePLC
09-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Local advice is best. If it is annual bluegrass...it sprouts in the fall--so you can prevent it with a pre-emergent (like prodiamine) in late summer (August). Otherwise it sprouts in fall --bothers you all winter and dies out in the heat in June, (but not before spreading a lot of seed).
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/archives/parsons/turf/publications/weed16.html

woodlawnservice
09-19-2012, 09:36 PM
Its does not die off in.the summer... it does die out a hair but not much... pretty much here all year. Is prodamine OK for rescue? I don't recall on the label...my guess is the Guy spraying does his pre em to late... pretty sure he does it in late September... to late apparently for the blue grass..what could we.use.now this late in year to knock it back? Is there actually a post em that can.be sprayed that will not harm the rescue?
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiTownAmateur
09-19-2012, 10:50 PM
Many people can't tell the difference so my apologies for not being more specific. In trying to just control the poa versus a total redo:

http://www.gardenguides.com/93408-reduce-poa-annually-tall-fescue.html

TurnerLandscape
09-22-2012, 07:03 PM
are you 100% it is poa annua? if it is smallaxe is correct. if it is perennial then gly is the only way i know of. not sure if there is a selective herbicide that would kill the bluegrass without killing the fescue

woodlawnservice
09-22-2012, 08:21 PM
I'm 100 percent positive it's poa trivilis
Posted via Mobile Device

maynardGkeynes
09-22-2012, 09:16 PM
I'm 100 percent positive it's poa trivilis
Posted via Mobile DeviceI don't think a selective control for Poa trivialis exists. So pre-em is the only chemical option. Desirable grasses will out compete it in well-managed turf, without use of chemicals..

woodlawnservice
09-23-2012, 12:12 AM
What pre can I use? From my research I'm getting contradicting info saying non exist and.then some saying yes they do exist... that's for pre and post.... with the pre it seems like its going to be hard.to spray and also time my overseeding to not affect it's germination.... if I use a selective herbicide(gly) it seems like the seeds in the ground will just germinate and run into the prob. Again..... if I remove some of he soil I still don't think I'd ever get al the "seeds" out...... I will have him practice his watering better and other cultural practices to limit its effects that way but I want to combat it wig herbicide program to....
Posted via Mobile Device

maynardGkeynes
09-23-2012, 01:13 AM
What pre can I use? From my research I'm getting contradicting info saying non exist and.then some saying yes they do exist... that's for pre and post.... with the pre it seems like its going to be hard.to spray and also time my overseeding to not affect it's germination.... if I use a selective herbicide(gly) it seems like the seeds in the ground will just germinate and run into the prob. Again..... if I remove some of he soil I still don't think I'd ever get al the "seeds" out...... I will have him practice his watering better and other cultural practices to limit its effects that way but I want to combat it wig herbicide program to....
Posted via Mobile DeviceSee post 10. Pre-m in the spring, as for CG. If you are seeding in 2 weeks, there is nothing you can do now; it should be gone soon for this year.

woodlawnservice
09-23-2012, 11:01 AM
I'm having trouble finding a pre em that will work on it but not harm the fescue..... We may just use gly in the trouble spots this fall and start the pre in spring... What pre would u suggest.... I keep reading the is no pre or post out on the market still to this day that kills the rough bluegrass but not harm the fescue...

Smallaxe
09-23-2012, 11:38 AM
[QUOTE=woodlawnservice;4534561]I'm having trouble finding a pre em that will work on it but not harm the fescue. ... QUOTE]

Pre-M is a root inhibitor that starve germinated seeds to death after they germinate... there is no Pre-m that will harm fescue...

You'll have to take time to understand what your "research" is telling you... :)

woodlawnservice
09-23-2012, 11:47 AM
I believe I didn't state it right..... I need a pre em where I can still oversees.with the fescue in fall.... that bring said I know timing is everything.... I need a pre that has the quickest reseeding where as my pendulum I.normally use says 8-12 weeks I believe.. I'd have to double check.label
Posted via Mobile Device

maynardGkeynes
09-23-2012, 11:52 AM
Just to add/clarify (I think/hope) Axe's post, the pre-m will not harm mature fescue grass or the existing poa for that matter; I believe it would stop fescue seeds from germinating. But since you are seeding now, and using pre-m in the spring, you would be ok. You don't want to use the pre-m in a the Fall. It would not kill your existing poa anyway.

Smallaxe
09-23-2012, 01:13 PM
I believe I didn't state it right..... I need a pre em where I can still oversees.with the fescue in fall.... that bring said I know timing is everything.... I need a pre that has the quickest reseeding where as my pendulum I.normally use says 8-12 weeks I believe.. I'd have to double check.label
Posted via Mobile Device

You are in a different Zone than I so I need to ask:

Is your weed grass producing/germinating seeds now???

... it is important to know what you can and cannot do with regards to seeding your fescue... I always make growing grass job one, and secondarily take out the weeds...

So do you know what you want to do if indeed your weed grasses are propagating as we speak??? :)

woodlawnservice
09-23-2012, 03:53 PM
Sounds like our best bet this fall is just using gly then reseeding... spring start the pre... then in fall time the pre and seeding just right. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device