PDA

View Full Version : Rain garden in front of a retaining wall for drainage

andersman02
09-18-2012, 11:42 PM
A customer has a back yard where all of the drainage from the house and retaining walls drain to one spot...needless to say it gets very flooded in this spot for days sometimes weeks. She had someone install a pretty heavy duty french drain but it doesn't seem to fix the problem.

Would a raingarden in front of the lowest retaining wall (where it ponds) impact the strength of the wall? All, and im talking about 4 pipes, of the drainage leads here. Maybe place the raingarden a few feet in front of the wall?

She doesnt want to screw with the drainage already in place either.

any ideas

btw the bottom wall is about 4' tall

DVS Hardscaper
09-19-2012, 07:20 AM
A customer has a back yard where all of the drainage from the house and retaining walls drain to one spot...needless to say it gets very flooded in this spot for days sometimes weeks. She had someone install a pretty heavy duty french drain but it doesn't seem to fix the problem.

Would a raingarden in front of the lowest retaining wall (where it ponds) impact the strength of the wall? All, and im talking about 4 pipes, of the drainage leads here. Maybe place the raingarden a few feet in front of the wall?

She doesnt want to screw with the drainage already in place either.

any ideas

btw the bottom wall is about 4' tall

Water is a walls enemy
Posted via Mobile Device

AztlanLC
09-19-2012, 07:23 AM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=387132

Is it the same? My suggestion when someone is trying to help do not disapper from tread and in the future you most likely get some help

White Gardens
09-22-2012, 10:29 AM
I would extend those pipes as far as you can if it were me.

That and if there is no-daylight area to exit to, I'd install a couple of NDS catch basins to drain the water to and possibly get the water to drain into the sub-soil better.