PDA

View Full Version : Are Scott's products made of gold?

grassmasterswilson
09-19-2012, 07:24 PM
We have just started seeding and I had an idea for trying to sell some jobs(although it's too late for postcards).

I went to te lowes site and they carry Scott's products. To apply 4.15lbs per 1000 of 18-24-6 and 5 lbs per 1000 of their fescue blend it would cost someone aroun $15/1000 in product alone!! That's crazy to me considering the products from my supplier are around $7/1000.

Mate something for some of you others to think about or use next year
Posted via Mobile Device

Smallaxe
09-19-2012, 08:15 PM
Scotts = Suckers... Their "best seed in the world", may not even belong on the boxstore shelf for your area... Their "greatest fertilizer in the world", is no different than any other urea product...

grassmasterswilson
09-19-2012, 08:17 PM
Yep. Funny how people pay for a name. Guess its kind of like round up!
Posted via Mobile Device

1999frontier
09-20-2012, 08:36 AM
Since your close to me, where do you usually buy your seed and fert? The closest JD landscapes are about 50 miles away.

grassmasterswilson
09-20-2012, 05:41 PM
I get my stuff from cardinal chemical in Wilson, green resource in garner, or southern seeds in middlesex. Pm me if u need contacts.
Posted via Mobile Device

JWTurfguy
09-20-2012, 11:16 PM
This really shouldn't be such a great surprise. As a contractor, when you purchase materials at a contractors' supply house, you are buying it WHOLESALE. Then you sell your services, which include your labor and materials, to your customer. When you go to Lowes, you are going to a big-box RETAIL store. Why wouldn't it cost more when you're paying RETAIL? Lowes already paid their own wholesale price and now they're marking it up to sell it you you.

Smallaxe
09-21-2012, 07:14 AM
The same box store is selling the same seed, with the same RETAIL market, at a lower price... just under a different label... Jay-Mar also sells retail and that is the one place near me in which the seed is actually blended and geared to our area and one of the few places to get a bag containing 0 (zero) annual rye...

When ever box stores attempt to "blend" various seeds together for a particular market, it seems they've always had Annual Ryegrass in there too, which is fine in the Spring... Do they still do that???

DA Quality Lawn & YS
09-22-2012, 12:49 AM
Not sure who would ever use annual rye for overseeding??
Not me.

Also smallaxe are you still seeding? I had done my last job about a week ago but see the 20 day forecast is fairly warm with highs in the lower 70's (past Sunday that is). I may just get out next Monday and Tuesday and do a couple more jobs. See an issue with that?

cgaengineer
09-22-2012, 12:55 AM
Yeah, annual rye is junk...best used in bird feeders.
Posted via Mobile Device

Smallaxe
09-22-2012, 09:14 AM
For rapid growth in sensitive areas in the Springtime is a valuable commodity here in the North... for exa: I seeded down a non-irrigated area that may not grow grass at all, but would grow annual ryegrass, which can be grown and groomed... now we've seeded it and as the rygrass dies it creates a seed bed with lots of dead AR roots for the perennial grass to grow into... loose soil with decaying OM,,, it's all good... :)

D A,,, I seed all the way through the fall season, because what doesn't grow this year, is dormant seeding for next year... I don't believe that baby grasses aren't much more likely to die in a dry winter, whether they are 2 weeks old or 4 weeks old... the root grows first before the top get very tall at all...
Even last year, what was green before the ground froze was green when the ground thawed and the dormant seeding was the best ever... And that was a drought winter by normal Wisco standards... :)