PDA

View Full Version : controlling bermuda

kawakx125
09-19-2012, 09:37 PM
whoever owned my house before planted some bermuda in my front yard at one point and the rest of the yard is fescue. looks like crap here and i'd like to get rid of it. so far its got 2 or 3 applications of roundup and been scalped and raked heavily. i can see some shoots starting to green up again, my question is is there a product that will kill the bermuda ONLY next year if i go ahead and overseed fescue now? or some granular product i can use now to wipe everything out and just wait till spring to overseed? i should have researched this before i went ahead and tried to kill it like everything else, i didn't realize it was that stubborn since its not common around here. all we really have is fescue or bluegrass lawns

macgyver_GA
09-20-2012, 08:37 AM
Multiple applications of Glyphosate is your only hope.

Btw the scalping probably isn't helping. Bermuda (even common) can tolerate lower cutting heights than the fescue. The more leaf surface area the better, to get good results from the glyphosate.

Duekster
09-20-2012, 08:39 AM
Now is an ideal time to as it tries to put up winter stores in the roots.

kawakx125
09-20-2012, 09:16 AM
I thought I had killed it all prior to scalping now I can see that I haven't. The flip side is it was so thick that there was no way roundup was hitting every shoot. At this point is it better to continue treating a few more times then seed in spring? We're maybe a month away from a frost here in Missouri
Posted via Mobile Device

Duekster
09-20-2012, 09:22 AM
Pretty much. Now is optimal to killing summer weeds, particularly those that grow from rhizomes.

kawakx125
09-20-2012, 10:59 AM
thanks for the advice, as much as i'd like to seed now i'll go ahead and wait till spring and just hope it turns out well. the plus side is this part of the yard has a maple tree and is shady part of the day so even if the grass isn't fully mature by the time it gets hot out that should help me some as long as i keep water on it.

ron mexico75
09-20-2012, 11:16 AM
You need to use a mixture of Fluzafop and Triclopyr. Apply in the Spring and in the fall when the Bermuda is "bringing in nutrients." I am in the process now of doing this and was also given this advice on this site.

To my understanding, it will take several years of this procedure to actually get it to stop.

kawakx125
09-20-2012, 12:21 PM
will that stuff kill the other grass if i overseed?

ron mexico75
09-20-2012, 12:27 PM
will that stuff kill the other grass if i overseed?

Yeah, I would not spray it if overseeding unless you wait a few weeks. Also , I wouldn't spray any new fescue until after 3-4 cuttings.

kawakx125
09-20-2012, 03:17 PM
so it won't kill any existing fescue or bluegrass? i'm most likely going to be using a blend of that to get some repairing ability

ron mexico75
09-21-2012, 11:22 AM
so it won't kill any existing fescue or bluegrass? i'm most likely going to be using a blend of that to get some repairing ability

Read carefully;

http://www.pbigordon.com/pdfs/Ornamec170-SL.pdf

http://www.alligarellc.com/_products/PDFs/TRICLOPYR_4EC_LABEL.pdf

maynardGkeynes
09-21-2012, 03:23 PM
whoever owned my house before planted some bermuda in my front yard at one point and the rest of the yard is fescue. looks like crap here and i'd like to get rid of it. so far its got 2 or 3 applications of roundup and been scalped and raked heavily. i can see some shoots starting to green up again, my question is is there a product that will kill the bermuda ONLY next year if i go ahead and overseed fescue now? or some granular product i can use now to wipe everything out and just wait till spring to overseed? i should have researched this before i went ahead and tried to kill it like everything else, i didn't realize it was that stubborn since its not common around here. all we really have is fescue or bluegrass lawnsI'm surprised bermuda will survive the winter in Mo. It should not thrive, certainly. Are you sure its bermudagrass?