PDA

View Full Version : Leaf box for 6 foot truck bed

Larson Lawn Care
09-20-2012, 09:06 AM
I'm considering buying a billygoat leaf loader, but I need to build a box on my truck. I have an f250, with a 6 foot truck bed. Can anyone help me with do's and do not's with building a leaf box? Height, material, design, etc.

JLSLLC
09-20-2012, 09:04 PM
I'm considering buying a billygoat leaf loader, but I need to build a box on my truck. I have an f250, with a 6 foot truck bed. Can anyone help me with do's and do not's with building a leaf box? Height, material, design, etc.

Get pressure treated wood and galvanized screws/hardware.. It will make removal that much easier. Build leaf box like house walls, take your time and you'll be good. Also put 2x4's width ways on each ends of the box after your done..(walls be very wavy and floppy without)... I went roughly a foot above my cab, on my f150 and had nice results. I also had room to hang stuff etc, Good luck and post PICS

Also make sure the box can vent!!

Puddle of Oil
09-20-2012, 10:13 PM
That's pretty slick bud! Thumbs Up

tebletlawns
09-20-2012, 10:48 PM
I framed up about 4' above thee bed with 2x4's. Then basically covered the whole thing with that heavy duty orange construction fencing. The back and top folded back over the truck to allow access. The holes are small enough the keep the debris in and lets air flow so you get less wind resistance. My old bed was rusting out so it was replaced with a flatbed I built last winter and have no idea what I'm going to do now for leaves.
Posted via Mobile Device

Larson Lawn Care
09-20-2012, 11:54 PM
I'll definitely get pressure treated wood and galvanized screws, thanks. I'd like to build it as tall as possible. I'll possibly be buying a 35 hp Billy Goat leaf loader.

Picture Perfect Landscape
09-21-2012, 06:55 AM
This is a setup I put on the back of my duramax 5 or 6 years ago when I first had a debris loader. Worked well. Only thing I would recommend is don't go to big. Make sure it vents well and it will pack that thing full. I amazed myself with how well it would pack it in. And put a pallet in the back with a chain if you don't have a dumper.

Larson Lawn Care
09-21-2012, 07:56 PM
I thought about the pallet, but can't I just vacuum the leaves back out of the leaf box when at the dump?

Larson Lawn Care
09-21-2012, 07:58 PM
Can I do several fair sized jobs with a box like that?

WJC
09-21-2012, 08:17 PM
I thought about the pallet, but can't I just vacuum the leaves back out of the leaf box when at the dump?

It takes way too long to vac the leaves out. I took a pitch fork and bent the tines 90 degrees, I stand on the tailgate and pull the leaves out. It doesnt take that long and I always jump on the pile to really pack the truck good. I use a 5 tine pitch fork with 2 tines removed.

Larson Lawn Care
09-21-2012, 08:35 PM
good idea, I'll have to try that if I can't get the pallet to work

4 seasons lawn&land
09-21-2012, 08:56 PM
that big ole leaf loader must be rough on your tailgate

09-21-2012, 09:06 PM
I did the pitch fork way back then when I had that box not knowing any better. Yeah sometimes it wasn't too bad, but suck up some wet stuff or let it rain before you get to the dump and you will be cursing the entire time. Get a good strong pallet or build you one and a good a chain and a front loader/dozer will rip that pile out in 5 sec and you will be on your way with out have to bust your back for 15-20 min.... trust me.

Another little tip. Drill 2 holes in the back of the box above and below the the top board of the pallet. Stick a piece of wire through it and then twist it on the outside. it will hold the pallet straight up while you are filling up the box.

And in regards to multiple jobs fitting in the box. Like I said in the first post you will be suprised what you can pack in their with a well vented setup. But how many jobs you can fit will be determined by how big the props and how much leaves are there. If you are working alone I doubt you will be able to fill it in a day. It should hold 6-8 yards of compacted material... thats no small load.

09-21-2012, 09:07 PM
that big ole leaf loader must be rough on your tailgate

Don't do that anymore. That was my first year with the loader. Setup is much better now and much bigger.

But yes... I do have a few dents in the top and a few scratches... no big deal though.

Larson Lawn Care
09-22-2012, 02:36 AM
I'm mounting it to my trailer. I'm hoping to keep my trucks appearance the same after leaf season... no dents, no scratches.

Larson Lawn Care
09-25-2012, 10:00 PM
Now I am considering putting a dump insert in the truck and building something to that. I know they make pre fabricated leaf boxes, but they are too over priced. I may talk to the local weld/fab shop to see if they can make a box for me to fit onto my dump insert that much cheaper than say the truck craft leaf box. I was quoted somewhere under $5k for the box installed. I was hoping a shop could make me one for around $1k? Has anyone done this before? I was thinking aluminum.

BOSCHERT LAWN CARE
09-26-2012, 11:55 AM
save yourself some money and get a 14hp or the 18hp unit. put the $2k you save into a dump insert for your truck or down payment on a dump trailer!

Larson Lawn Care
09-26-2012, 10:52 PM
I didn't really consider that. I was pretty set on the 35hp, I would hate to buy one and not have enough power to suck up the leaves, or to do it quick enough. I have no experience with them though. I am however buying the unit on my credit line, so no up front cost, just a monthly payment. I figured I would buy something I can grow into if it is overkill at the time being.

kawakx125
09-27-2012, 07:15 AM
any tips or plans on building one for a 6x10 trailer? i'm thinking about building a 6'x4'x4' box for leaf cleanups this year, i'm just a small operation so that size should get me through a couple yards i'd hope. no loader either just dumping into it from grass catcher

Larson Lawn Care
09-29-2012, 03:01 AM
I can't find a good enough price for a dump insert, so I think I am back to just a box. I am thinking about angle iron for the frame, pressure treated pine with metal slots for the boards to slide into at the 4 points, then maybe line the inside with plexiglass.

WJC
09-29-2012, 08:38 AM
Whatever you decide to do, I would consider keeping it as inexpensive and light as possible because its only gonna get used for a short period each year. I built mine with 1/2" plywood and 2 by 2s with a landscape tarp covering the topside. If you go with that 35HP loader, you'll want a beefier front wall because that thing will really blast those leaves in there.

PerfectEarth
09-29-2012, 11:08 AM
Now I am considering putting a dump insert in the truck and building something to that. I know they make pre fabricated leaf boxes, but they are too over priced. I may talk to the local weld/fab shop to see if they can make a box for me to fit onto my dump insert that much cheaper than say the truck craft leaf box. I was quoted somewhere under $5k for the box installed. I was hoping a shop could make me one for around $1k? Has anyone done this before? I was thinking aluminum.

This past week, we arranged to have a custom aluminum leaf box built for my F550 dump bed. I went to an awning business that can do all types of nice aluminum fabrication. (they make big fabric awning frames and can do nioce truck racks, etc...)

It will be strong 2" tubing with 1/8" side paneling, all reinforced. 4-corner tie downs to attach the box to the corner D-rings already in the bed.... removable back swing gate (we can double this thing as a chipbox setup.) Top venting with brass screening that gets installed in channeling pieces, so it can be removed and replaced easily, cleaned too.

I will make a thread when we get it. It's going to be pretty badass I think and I'm hoping it will be not too bad to slide in and out of the dump bed. We have it designed to fit snug, but with some wiggle room.

It's costing 3,000... 7' tall, 10' long, 7' wide

Also just bought a new 18hp Billy Goat with extension tubes and hangers for the vac on the dump tailgate. When we dump, we plan on stopping at the shop real quick and using the Dingo to lift off the vac.

ringahding
09-29-2012, 11:57 AM
I can't find a good enough price for a dump insert, so I think I am back to just a box. I am thinking about angle iron for the frame, pressure treated pine with metal slots for the boards to slide into at the 4 points, then maybe line the inside with plexiglass.

You ever think of just inserting a heavy duty tarp and doubling it up? This is what I have done for the past 6 six years...\

1- 16 x 20 tarp ~ cut to fit
4- Cables running underneath the tarp ~ 400lbs. 16 ft
4- Pieces of flat steel
2- to secure to floor of trailer

2- to secure to the other end of tarp

I still have some work to do on it, but just wanted to get you an idea for other options. We have had this 6x10 trailer just PACKED down and pull it right off.
We use a spare truck or tie off to something. I used to have by the gate, a WINDING system and manually removed the leaves....Mounted 2 triangular mounts on each side of trailer with a round piece of steel going across and a "T" shaped piece(3')of steel welded to the end of the round piece to make it easier to wind off..

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad197/ringahding/20120929_080214-1.jpg

Larson Lawn Care
10-01-2012, 12:17 AM
I was planning on Treated pine with plexi glass for the inside, I would imagine that should be plenty durable to withstand the debris?

Larson Lawn Care
10-03-2012, 10:43 PM
I went with a 25hp Billy Goat leaf loader, as soon as I get it in, I will start building the box. I am a bit nervous about how fast it might fill up. I have a short bed truck. I don't know how tall I will build this, but I hope I can make it through a day of jobs before the box fills up. My previous method of mulching with the mower then blowing the mulched leaves into garden areas and woods left me with little to bring with me. Now with runs to the dump (extra charge to me) that will take up quite a bit of my time. For guys out there with a similar box on a short bed truck and comparable loader, I am curious to know how often does your leaf box fill up? I will mulch them with the mower to break them down even more, so I know that will make a bit more room.

Larson Lawn Care
10-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Does anyone have a cover for their debris loaders? To keep out of the rain?

PerfectEarth
10-07-2012, 10:31 PM
Wait.... you bought a 25 hp loader and it's going to blow into a 6' long truck bed??

There might be some air flow issues with this.

Larson Lawn Care
10-07-2012, 10:44 PM
Even with a mesh tarp on top??? I have no experience with a loader, but I was under the impression that there would be plenty of room for air to escape through the top?

Eurosport
10-30-2012, 05:41 PM
I have a 25 HP billy goat mounted on a 12 foot dump trailer and the amount of air flow is insane. I really think you are going to want to re-think your set up. IMHO your loader is way too big for a 6 foot pick up bed. I went from a 16 hp to the 25 hp and the increased compaction and shredding is night and day. All the time you save loading is going to be wasted unloading by hand. Its a solid brick when full.

Not trying to get you down I think you just need to seriously consider getting a dump trailer/truck to run the loader into. Depending on the size of your properties you could be filling your truck every hour of so.

JohnnyRocker
08-28-2013, 10:56 PM
This is a setup I put on the back of my duramax 5 or 6 years ago when I first had a debris loader. Worked well. Only thing I would recommend is don't go to big. Make sure it vents well and it will pack that thing full. I amazed myself with how well it would pack it in. And put a pallet in the back with a chain if you don't have a dumper.

What HP was this by the way?
:rolleyes: