PDA

View Full Version : Tips & Advice on changing blades (1st timer)

astrohip
09-20-2012, 10:42 AM
I have a Bad Boy Lightning Z 52" (Kawa 31HP). I ordered a new set of blades from Bad Boy, and am ready to install them this weekend.

I've never done this before. Any tips or tricks I should know?

Any and all advice appreciated!

Florida Gardener
09-20-2012, 10:52 AM
All you need to do is take the old ones off and put the new ones on....a 15/16 bolt should do it.
Posted via Mobile Device

astrohip
09-20-2012, 10:55 AM
Thanks. Any torque concerns?

Florida Gardener
09-20-2012, 11:22 AM
I just hit the wrench like 2 or 3 times and that has never been a problem.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr.NewEarth
09-20-2012, 11:57 AM
What does the manual say?

astrohip
09-20-2012, 12:22 PM
What does the manual say?
Ha! Good one.:hammerhead:

RAlmaroad
09-21-2012, 10:57 AM
Don't know the configuration on the Bad Boy but make sure you have enough clearance on the bottom. A Scag has about an 8" bolt up through the spindle with access on the top. If you have to jack it up make sure that the wheels sit on cinder blocks or whatever. Personally I have a chain hoist and air impact--makes thing almost too easy. Put a little no seize (1 pack from Advanced Auto will do all three bolts) Scags have fittings for grease or you might have to put a little some where on turning parts.

astrohip
09-21-2012, 11:47 AM
Thanks. I'm going to try it tomorrow.

astrohip
09-22-2012, 03:44 PM
All you need to do is take the old ones off and put the new ones on....a 15/16 bolt should do it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Changed blades today. Yep, needed a 15/16 socket, and of course I had every size but that. Quick trip to Tractor Supply. Then I needed to use a breaker bar, they were frozen tight. Then I realized I needed to lock the blades in place, or they turned with the socket wrench. Rigged a block of wood.

After all that, piece of cake. :drinkup:

Appreciate the advice!

Florida Gardener
09-22-2012, 03:46 PM
Changed blades today. Yep, needed a 15/16 socket, and of course I had every size but that. Quick trip to Tractor Supply. Then I needed to use a breaker bar, they were frozen tight. Then I realized I needed to lock the blades in place, or they turned with the socket wrench. Rigged a block of wood.

After all that, piece of cake. :drinkup:

Appreciate the advice!
Good deal, glad I could help. I would invest in a jungle jack. Like $130 or something, but one lift and the mower is up...makes it even easier...
Posted via Mobile Device

astrohip
09-22-2012, 03:58 PM
Good deal, glad I could help. I would invest in a jungle jack. Like $130 or something, but one lift and the mower is up...makes it even easier...
Posted via Mobile Device
I have that (or something just like it). I use it to lift up the mower when I clean inside the blade decks. Not sure how you would change blades without something like this. Or a hoist, as RA... mentioned

bryansong
09-26-2012, 03:25 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I have the jungle jack also, quick and easy.

DavidsonLandscaping
09-29-2012, 02:22 PM
I'm very surprized no one said to disconnect the spark plug before changing the blades
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
10-16-2012, 11:27 AM
There's generally no need to disconnect the spark plug before changing the blades on a zero turn mower because the blades are not directly connected to the engine the way they are on something like a 21 inch push mower. Therefore turning the blades does not turn over the engine. If you want to be ultra safe I suppose you could disconnect the plug wires. And as far as disconnecting the plug wire on a small mower...make sure that it is well away from the plug when you do disconnect it. They tend to return back to their postion and could touch or be close enough to the plug to cause it to fire.

ron mexico75
10-16-2012, 11:33 AM
There's generally no need to disconnect the spark plug before changing the blades on a zero turn mower because the blades are not directly connected to the engine the way they are on something like a 21 inch push mower. Therefore turning the blades does not turn over the engine. If you want to be ultra safe I suppose you could disconnect the plug wires. And as far as disconnecting the plug wire on a small mower...make sure that it is well away from the plug when you do disconnect it. They tend to return back to their postion and could touch or be close enough to the plug to cause it to fire.

VERY good point Darryl.

This might seem ridiculous and just common sense, but wearing gloves is always a good idea. I was changing blades with some resharpened ones, I just barely bumped my hand on the cutting edge and it was noticeable