PDA

View Full Version : Hydroseeding Question

PT777
09-20-2012, 02:09 PM
Hello,
I have a question regarding Hydroseeding. My front lawn was completely destoyed by this years hot weather. A friend of mine owns a landscaping and lawn cutting buisness and is planning on hydroseeding this Saturday. He sprayed and killed the whole yard a month ago and it is complete dead. I hate to bother him with questions about this procedure as he is so busy and he thinks I bug him with questions, haha. So, what am I to expect from this procedure? Do you think he will bring in new soil? He told me to mark where all under ground wiring is as I have many lamp posts in yard.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d28/nyjets22/001_zps986962b6.jpg

Smallaxe
09-20-2012, 04:42 PM
Hydroseed is generally sprayed on the surface and should be fine w/out a lot of working up of the soil... just like putting down sod w/out working up the soil... but it sounds like he must be going to work up the soil... a month ago was seeding time up here even though the weather was just starting to show signs of relief... it may have been premature to assume it was all dead... what did you have for turf before it was all killed off???

RigglePLC
09-20-2012, 07:29 PM
Best seeding date in the north is when high temps come down to below 85 in August. 8 weeks, maybe 6 weeks before frost. High soil temperature is very helpful. But today's date will probably work out OK. Your average first frost date is Sept 29th.
http://www.victoryseeds.com/frost/oh.html

Take a few photos and let us know how it works out, OK?

Hydroseed is usually applied to bare soil--not sure if he is planning to prepare the soil at all (beyond killing the old grass) or what he is planning to do. Its a lot of work to prepare the soil--so we are all interested to see if he can make it work, (and if so learn his secret).

I am sure some experts would strip the old sod, and haul it away at great expense. Some would then till the soil and add amendments. Some would aerate. Some would just slit seed.

When Kentucky bluegrass and perennial ryegrass are planted together...perennial ryegrass will dominate due to its faster establishment...unless the mixture is at least 80 percent bluegrass. Keep in mind that hydroseeders use a high percentage of perennial ryegrass...and perennial ryegrass is not suited where temperatures go over 95, (more like 90 if not irrigated). Keep in mind that some perennial ryegrass seed varieties are very poor and some are very good--get the good stuff. Disease resistant, dark green, endophyte enhanced for insect resistance. Get a copy of the seed label so you know what you are getting, the percent weed seed, and the actual varieties included.

Smallaxe
09-21-2012, 06:02 AM
Riggle, you're right: "Hydroseed is usually applied to bare soil--not sure if he is planning to prepare the soil at all (beyond killing the old grass) or what he is planning to do. Its a lot of work to prepare the soil--so we are all interested to see if he can make it work, (and if so learn his secret).

I would like to hear how it turns out too... :)

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
09-21-2012, 06:59 AM
We hydroseed only on fresh soil. I would be concerned if he is going to spray on top of your dead turf. You may get germination but it will probably die off when it has nowhere to root. Let us know how it did.
Posted via Mobile Device

Turboguy
09-21-2012, 10:03 AM
It sounds to me since he asked those questions that he is planning to strip the grass of or prepare the soil in some way. Otherwise there would have been no reason for that question.

I hydroseed a couple of million square feet a year and I have hydroseeded over dead grass like you have a few times but it's not something I recommend. I happened to check this week on a job I did in the spring where they killed the grass on a hillside and I oversprayed crown vetch. The surface looked exactly like yours does in the photo. I probably ended up with one of the best stands of crown vetch that I got all year so it can be done but it is not something I would recommend.

Someone made the comment about it being late to hydroseed. You are fine with that. I am about 20-25 miles from you and most years can hydroseed for another 5 weeks. Last year my last few jobs didn't come up until spring so this year I may stop around the 15th of October. Actually last year I hydroseeded a new Dollar General store Christmas week but we didn't expect germination until Spring which is what we got.

It sounds like whoever you have doing it knows what he is doing so I think you will be fine.

Smallaxe
09-22-2012, 04:53 AM
... Actually last year I hydroseeded a new Dollar General store Christmas week but we didn't expect germination until Spring which is what we got. ...

Hydroseeding works for "Dormant Seeding"... no reason why it shouldn't... :)

PT777
09-22-2012, 11:26 AM
Well, he was supposed to start today, but its raining. Got a trailer with a tractor and some kind of attachment on it parked in my drive (see pic). He did mention weeks ago that he was going to bring in some fresh screened soil. I have a roofing company and I hate when customers ask over and over what we are doing, so I kind of hate to ask him about his plans and let him just do his job. However I am interested in knowing a bit what to expect. Thanks for your input.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d28/nyjets22/001_zps7dd45479.jpg

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
09-22-2012, 04:12 PM
Looks like your good.
He is going to Harley rake the turf area and dress it up .
He looks to be on it!

PT777
09-23-2012, 05:52 PM
Well here is what we got today. New soil tomorrow and then seed.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d28/nyjets22/002_zps97e61df3.jpg

Cadzilla
09-23-2012, 07:39 PM
Good lord. What a disaster.

A friend of mine does it the same way. I'm trying to convince him on the benefits of Machine or Slit seeding.

Thats some old school lawn seeding right there.

:hammerhead:

Cadzilla
09-23-2012, 07:40 PM
Looks like your good.
He is going to Harley rake the turf area and dress it up .
He looks to be on it!

If it was 1955, I'd agree. :D

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
09-23-2012, 08:43 PM
Why would you slit seed if the client wanted the existing turf gone?
Posted via Mobile Device

Turboguy
09-23-2012, 09:49 PM
It's been pretty rainy and cold in this area. Considering the wet weather he had to work with and assuming he isn't done it looks pretty good to me. Without the tire tracks it looks better than 90 percent of the conditions people expect me to seed with.

PT777
09-23-2012, 10:29 PM
It's been pretty rainy and cold in this area. Considering the wet weather he had to work with and assuming he isn't done it looks pretty good to me. Without the tire tracks it looks better than 90 percent of the conditions people expect me to seed with.

He is going to do do more passes in other direction tomorrow (Monday) and also have 14-16yrds of new soil brought in as well. Tire tracks are on existing lawn/soil as of today. I hope this all turns out well in an entire new lawn. He has been doing lawn care for 20+ years so I think it will. Gonna seed with a 60% rye and 40% KBG I think. Its up to me to make the decision tomorrow. Said KBG will take up to 5 weeks to germinate and I kinda want grass this year.

Turboguy
09-24-2012, 06:46 AM
You would have grass this year. The bluegrass germinates slow but the rye is a fast germinating seed that will give you grass in a week or two and help keep everything in place while the bluegrass is waiting to germinate.

Most everyone here, (since I am only 20 miles away it would be applicable) uses a very similar mix except with some fescue inlcuded but his mix is fine. He is doing a great job. His process is not out of 1955. I don't think Harley Rakes were even invented in 1955. Most guys in 1955 used box scrapers and york rakes to landscape which few do now.

95 % of all prep work in this area is done using either a Harley Rake or a Rockhound. His equipment is state of the art.

PT777
09-24-2012, 02:17 PM
Thanks for all the info. Heres what the seed farm is selling me:
75lbs mix of:

20% Apple or Homerun (Rye?)
20% Manhattan or Protege (Rye?)
20% Paragon (Rye?)
20% Denim or Raven Blue (KBG?)
20% Nublue KY Blue

Front yard gets 5hrs of direct sunlight.

Heres a pic today of 14yrd of new screened soil.

Hydroseeding today. Hope it works out:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d28/nyjets22/001_zpsb1ee8596.jpg

Turboguy
09-24-2012, 03:55 PM
He is doing a nice job. I wish more of the lawns I hydroseed looked like yours is going to look like.

The seed mix is fine for this area. That is actually a fairly premium mix.

PT777
09-25-2012, 03:30 PM
He is doing a nice job. I wish more of the lawns I hydroseed looked like yours is going to look like.

The seed mix is fine for this area. That is actually a fairly premium mix.

Thanks!

I just got the tag off the bag of seed:

20% Patriot 4 Rye
20% Stellar GL Rye
20% Wild Horse BG
20% Homegrown BG
20% Gaelic BG

all from Oregon. Hope this mix turns out well. Thanks for all of your input. Will post pics as grass germinates!

RigglePLC
09-25-2012, 07:41 PM
Here is a link for Stellar GL perennial rye. The GL means resistance to Gray Leaf spot. A very important premium feature. It also claims to have good tolerance to transition zone conditions--like heat.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCoQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mtviewseeds.com%2Fdownloads%2Fdatasheets%2FStellarF.pdf&ei=gEBiUNyVD-GqyAGa8YHYBQ&usg=AFQjCNH5ERyRDBdPS4djnl8e2fjMaGhjgw&cad=rja

http://www.preferredseed.com/detail/index.cfm?nPID=65

And here is the info on Patriot 4. It also looks excellent. However it claims "good transition"...I think...that means when used to overseed Bermuda golf courses in the south...that it dies out easily in the heat, next summer so it does not interfere with the Bermuda when the summer heat starts. I am not sure if I like that or not.

Also it is listed as sold out for the year. Probably due to the heavy demand due to so much lawn reseeding going on this year.