PDA

View Full Version : back yard putting greens

gordons lawn
01-18-2003, 10:03 PM
are back yard putting greens profitable, and what demand is out there?

mark2
01-18-2003, 10:33 PM
Thanks for asking that question! I've been wondering the same thing.
Maybe someone can tell us more.

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape
01-18-2003, 10:48 PM
I have gotten alot of info on them.They seem to be very profitable,I am going to go with allpro putting greens i will advertise for them this spring and ill let you guys know the out come.They say you can mark them up about 60% but im sure thats a little high

gordons lawn
01-19-2003, 12:41 PM
i would like to install artificial putting greens. I live in minnesota, usa. our climate here is always crazy!, i was wondering if anyone knows how well they will stand up to the elements of ice, cold, snow, rain, and yes hot sun at times?

LB Landscaping
01-20-2003, 02:24 PM
I have also been looking into these. Most companies CLAIM that there turf will stand up to the elements. I would check out the warrenties each company offers. All of the companies I have contacted are more than willing to send out samples and literature on their products. There are alot of them out there so do your homework, not all companies are as good as they claim to be. Some offer alot more variety inturf than others, some offer support, some will even come to your first job and help you install. Dealer programs differ from company to company as well.

imalandscper
01-20-2003, 08:59 PM
I was working in my hometown for a guy when i first started doing this and we were on a high end apartment complex. They brought in another company to do the putting green so all i could do was watch. They did not seem all that hard to do (this was an artificial one). They do not have to be perfect because you want all different grades in them and multiple holes. The company that installed them said that they mad a killing on them. i am thinking of bringing up the idea to a apartment complex i maintain on a golf course. But we will all have to see how it goes! If i find anything out i will defenitely post here. Good luck with your findings

steveair
01-23-2003, 10:18 PM
Hello,

Very briefly I was doing some design work for a company that specializes in putting greens. Being I was not real familiar with I asked if I could go check out a few installations to get a better feel for what was going on.

He gave me a few locations to check out.......some were brand new installations and others were in the range of 5-7 year old.

My overall impression at first was pretty good. On the newly intalled jobs, they looked very nice. Especially the way you can make grade changes, dips, bumps, etc. in them. However, as I went to jobs that have been installed for a few years, my opinion began to change........

On the jobs that were, say, 5 years + old, things did not look so great. One job was a driving range that had a mini putting practice area set up.....

Things I noticed that disturbed me..........for one, the carpet really, really faded in color.....that once bright green was now a dirty, faded lime green.....not very pleasing. Second, wherever there was a seam (for larger areas, you have to tape rolls together) you could see it, and it was beginning to curl up on the edges. One of the big selling points is your not suppose to see the seam.....which you don't on new installs, but later on.......I guess so. Finally, the turf was beginning to become loose so to say. It didn't hug the ground anymore......it kind of looked like a old throw carpet that someone just slid on and crumpled all up.

Personally, I like to install things that are going to last for some time. To me, It looks like your have to replace these things about every 5-10 years.

I guess people don't seem to mind though, as I know the company installs quite a few of them......but mainly, on high end homes where people have 'very' disposable income. Maybe a good marketing plan would be to go around and put flyers on all those house where the people have those 10k swingsets for there kids that become landfill or wildlife refuges after there kids turn 10.

Most likely a good business venture though if you have a marketable area.

steve

One Degree
01-29-2003, 10:34 AM
I would definetly check on artificial. The maintenance of a bent or bermuda green is demanding. To keep it mowed at 1/32 or shorter you will need a reel mower and it will need to be mowed nearly every day. Irrigation is a must. A reel green that looks good is like a baby. It requires babysitting during drought conditions and drenching throughout the day if the grass is stressed. A green is not as simple as throwing down sand and seed. It requires the proper blend of peat/sand, water, seed, drainage, and other things. I installed a USGA spec green before. It was very labor intensive and cost roughly $25,000 for 10,000 sq ft. Good Luck