PDA

View Full Version : Walkbehind cutting appearance-missing blades of grass...

A.J.B. Farms
09-24-2012, 11:37 AM
Hi,

I have a 1996 Toro Proline walkbehind with mulching blades. The cut appearance doesn't look good. It is missing blades of grass. I have sharpened the blades, lowered the height to 3", and have slowed down the mowing speed to speed 2...and it still seems to not cut some blades of grass! When i double mow it, the apperance looks great because it cuts the blades of grass that were missed the first pass. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments of how to elimate a second pass over what was already mowed???
Also, considering buying a Walker mower, any pros and cons about them?

Thank you!
AJB

yardguy28
09-24-2012, 11:43 AM
in my experience this occurs when there is a lot of moisture in the grass. the mower seems to bend the blades over, not cut them and stand them back up.

I'm getting that now with some of my properties. I'm using a 52" toro grandstand.

I've checked everything out on the mower and nothing seems wrong on the mower that would cause this. double cutting helps in most situations.

in my case I know it can't be the mower because A I checked everything out and B all 3 of the mowers I use are getting similar results.

don't know if that's your case but its just a suggestion.

macgyver_GA
09-24-2012, 11:47 AM
Which mulching blades are you using? Do they have any lift to them?

yardguy28
09-24-2012, 11:48 AM
personally I'm NOT using mulching.

I exclusively use high lifts.

JMK Lawn Service
09-24-2012, 02:18 PM
I get this problem mainly in yards or areas where grass may be tall enough to cut, but is thin. After the drought a lot of places are having this problem. If i slow down it can help a lot. I am using a 54" ZTR. When the grass is thin it seems to get laid down by the wind of the blades and doesnt get picked up. If the grass is thick, it all stays standing up and the suction of the deck works better. I use High lift blades only. I have bad luck with Mulching blades

Turf Commando
09-24-2012, 10:29 PM
Sometimes mulch blades don't work with every mower deck.
Use a high lift blade results vary but chances are it will eliminate issue.
Posted via Mobile Device

A.J.B. Farms
09-25-2012, 11:33 AM
Thank you for the tips...I think I will try the High Lift Blades!

C Jovingo Landscaping
09-25-2012, 01:19 PM
A.J.B. what size proline do you have? I have a 36" proline that seems to leave a lil streak of grass between the 2 blades. The spindles are not offset, so there is no overlap of blades like my 44" proline with center spindle further forward & outer blades set in a bit, so there is overlap. If I line the blade tips up on my 36", there is about 1/4" gap between them, leaving the lil streak uncut. I bought the 36" used & not sure if it even has the correct blades for the mower & I don't know if all 36's are this way.
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
09-25-2012, 02:16 PM
A.J.B. what size proline do you have? I have a 36" proline that seems to leave a lil streak of grass between the 2 blades. The spindles are not offset, so there is no overlap of blades like my 44" proline with center spindle further forward & outer blades set in a bit, so there is overlap. If I line the blade tips up on my 36", there is about 1/4" gap between them, leaving the lil streak uncut. I bought the 36" used & not sure if it even has the correct blades for the mower & I don't know if all 36's are this way.
Posted via Mobile Device

sounds to me like maybe you don't have to correct blades but I'm not saying I'm an expert.

I personally have never seen a mower that doesn't have offset spindles. my 36" metro has offset spindles.

but if your spindles aren't offset then the blades have to be the issue.

C Jovingo Landscaping
09-25-2012, 04:05 PM
Pretty sure the spindles are even on the deck (1 is not further forward than the other). Backup mower now, so I'd have to take another look. It may be on of the first toro prolines! Not sure when they were introduced but i estimate it to be about 18yrs old.
Posted via Mobile Device

C Jovingo Landscaping
09-25-2012, 06:52 PM
K, I was wrong. My spindles are offset. Still curious if OP has 36" & if the missed grass is between the 2 blades, like mine.
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
09-26-2012, 09:06 PM
my opinion of the missing grass is a bent spindle, bent blade or maybe the blades edge is rounded.

herler
09-26-2012, 10:00 PM
This is why I always double cut.

Engaging the blades can also be very helpful.

White Gardens
09-26-2012, 10:09 PM
I get this problem mainly in yards or areas where grass may be tall enough to cut, but is thin. After the drought a lot of places are having this problem. If i slow down it can help a lot. I am using a 54" ZTR. When the grass is thin it seems to get laid down by the wind of the blades and doesnt get picked up. If the grass is thick, it all stays standing up and the suction of the deck works better. I use High lift blades only. I have bad luck with Mulching blades

Man, good to know I wasn't the only one.

Right after our drought, when the grass came back, it wouldn't cut worth a hoot. Finally after about two weeks of frustration it started to cut good again.

Darryl G
09-26-2012, 10:42 PM
I agree with this happening when the grass is thin. It also happens when your blades get worn and the tips are no longer square, which essentially shortens them. Most mowers will not cut very long thick grass very well on the first pass, but in that case it's more than just a few stragglers sticking up...more like an uneven cut.

Darryl G
09-26-2012, 10:42 PM
Why does Yardguy always think that every post after his is directed toward him? lol

sjessen
09-27-2012, 07:47 AM
The older Toros had a lower blade tip speed. Try increasing engine rpm and see if it helps.

Roger
09-27-2012, 08:46 AM
For the OP, the problem is most likely the use of blades with minimum lift (as some others suggest). Mulching blades do not have as much lift as high-lift blades. They have to be that way so the debris will feed itself down to the ground. A high-lift blade, used with no discharge, will keep the debris up under the deck, not allowing it to drop down, out of the deck. Because of the lower lift of the mulching blades, the cut may not be as smooth (as you have seen).

For decks without offset blades, the blades would have to be timed, driven by a timing belt. The blades can overlap, but not at the same time. The overlap keeps a strip of grass between the blades from not being cut. I think Walker has some timed mowing decks, but am not aware of any walk-behinds with timed decks. John Deere used to have one, but no longer.

yardguy28
09-27-2012, 05:18 PM
why does darryl always think yardguy thinks every post after his is directed towards him.....haha

Darryl G
09-27-2012, 09:18 PM
It doesn't look like anyone addressed the OPs question about Walker mowers.

There is a search feature here that may help answer a lot of your questions. I've never owned or operated one, but my impressions from what I've read and been told by local guys is that they do a very nice job at cutting grass but require a fair amount of maintenance that can get costly.

I did a search for you...here are the results.

http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?searchid=7284047

A.J.B. Farms
09-28-2012, 11:03 AM
My blades are off set..so i dont think that's the problem. I think I am going to try the high lift blades....Thank you for the extra search for walker mowers darryl!

Weekend cut easymoney
09-28-2012, 11:31 AM
We had this problem a lot more so when the grass is dry...kinda like trying to cut limp lettuce...grass with moisture in it stands up straighter and should be easier to cut than limb grass--

we also had this issue with the fixed deck mowers where the deck was adjusted too high in the front making the angle of the deck oriented upward in front-
double cut always looks good...we try and do it when appropriate

Darryl G
09-28-2012, 02:16 PM
What the hell...I just clicked on the link for the search I did and came up with no matches. It worked last nite....hmmmm.

Here's a new one... http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?searchid=7285500