PDA

View Full Version : Billy Goat lawn vacs

32vld
09-26-2012, 04:16 PM
How good are they at picking up leaves, acorns, and stuff and leaving a clean looking lawn.

How good is using the accessory tube to vac leaves from underneath shrubs leaving the beds looking good ?

Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries
09-28-2012, 01:34 PM
Leaves, litter and general debris are picked up nicely. Acorns are a challenge for any vacuum. They're heavy (relative to size) when fresh, aerodynamically shaped, and if in grass they sink and hide below the majority of the air flow. A Billy Goat will get some on one pass but to really get them up you've got to back and forth under the tree like you would on carpet with spilled potting soil when using an indoor vacuum.

32vld
09-28-2012, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the response.
Last year I did my leafs with an 8'x12' tarp held down at the corners with an old screw driver through the grommet holes. Then dump the tarp in my trailer.

My goal this year was to find away to get the leaves into a bag the easiest way without raking.

Also looked to get the Trac Vac 385 to pull behind my John Deere mower. I like that better then just using the factory bagging system which just relies on the blades to move the debri into the bag and not clog the discharge tube.

The Trac Vac has a gas powered vacuum between the discharge deck and the collection unit to help keep things moving so the chute should less likely clog.

Though what I like about the 385 is that it discharges into a standard Rough Neck garbage pail which means directly into a liner. Barrel filled, tie knot, take out put in new liner.

Problem is I can't afford to buy both this year. Leaning to the Billy Goat because it will get through smaller gates and it has the accessory vac hose for beds and narrow tight spots.

Mowingman
09-28-2012, 03:16 PM
As mentioned, they do a good job if the materials are dry. If wet, forget it.
The big problem is that with leaves, the bag fills in about 1 minute. Then, it takes 5 minutes to empty it and reinstall it on the machine. I found the frequent bag removal/dumping made the machine impractical for leaf work in lawn areas. Nice for small beds though. I used mine on 3 jobs and then sold it. Live and learn, lost a good bit of money on that deal.