PDA

View Full Version : What percent of leads come from your website?

MJK
09-26-2012, 05:54 PM
I'm looking to invest around 3-4,000 into a nice professional website with professional SEO services. I'm wondering for those who have a nice website, did you notice your phone ringing more after the investment?

I'm always hesitant in spending large amounts of money into marketing sometimes because its so hard to know what will come from it. We are a younger company so I do not have all the tracking from many different campaigns.

Here is the link to the company; http://sitenetmarketing.com/

I spoke with them, they seem nice & knowledgeable but they are trying to sell me like I would a customer.

grandview (2006)
09-26-2012, 07:04 PM
I bet you can find someone local who can do just as a good job for less. I do get calls from my site. All your adverting should lead people to your website because they will make a final decision if they'll call you.

jbailey52
09-26-2012, 08:39 PM
I spent next to nothing, really next to nothing for my site. Now it could be better and what not, but I get several contacts a week from my site from new leads

MJK
09-26-2012, 09:15 PM
I bet you can find someone local who can do just as a good job for less. I do get calls from my site. All your adverting should lead people to your website because they will make a final decision if they'll call you.

What are you doing to drive the person to the website? Print marketing?

If you don't want to say it on here please PM me.

grandview (2006)
09-26-2012, 09:42 PM
All my signs ,anything I put out has my website ,phone book ,news ads. Even my invoice and estimate sheets.

Dave does lawns
09-26-2012, 09:55 PM
I'm looking to invest around 3-4,000 into a nice professional website with professional SEO services. I'm wondering for those who have a nice website, did you notice your phone ringing more after the investment?

I'm always hesitant in spending large amounts of money into marketing sometimes because its so hard to know what will come from it. We are a younger company so I do not have all the tracking from many different campaigns.

Here is the link to the company; http://sitenetmarketing.com/

I spoke with them, they seem nice & knowledgeable but they are trying to sell me like I would a customer.

Before you spend 3-4000 on your site, I highly recommend talking to Tony http://www.lawnsite.com/member.php?u=22871

That is a lot of money and I know you can get a near perfect site for less.

PaperCutter
09-27-2012, 05:22 PM
Maybe 10% come from my wesbite. Just redid it though and traffic has been increasing, so we'll see how that goes.

muddywater
09-27-2012, 06:05 PM
I spend 2k on mine and $150 a month for updating and seo.

I think it is important to constantly add pictures and improve your website on a monthly basis. I am strategizing to work on my google placement for a few years from now when i think internet will really be big. I get about 5-10% off of internet.
Posted via Mobile Device

MasseyLS
12-29-2014, 09:41 PM
Maybe 10% come from my wesbite. Just redid it though and traffic has been increasing, so we'll see how that goes.

Is it still bringing in 10%?

PaperCutter
12-30-2014, 09:34 PM
Is it still bringing in 10%?

Probably 50-60% last year but I'd have to look at my year-end breakdown. It's funny, when I changed direction with the business a couple weeks ago I stripped out all the stuff about how to hire me as a designer and I'm still generating web leads. Must be doing something right.

xtreem3d
12-30-2014, 09:52 PM
Before you spend 3-4000 on your site, I highly recommend talking to Tony http://www.lawnsite.com/member.php?u=22871

That is a lot of money and I know you can get a near perfect site for less.

Find Tony and some others who seem knowledgeable in the WEBSITE section of lawnsite

JimLewis
01-08-2015, 01:04 PM
We get about 60-65% of our new work from our website. We get a ton of traffic, calls and contact forms from our website. It transformed our business.

The first most important thing is to have a website that looks better and more professional than most of your competitors. Don't cheap out on the website design. And you really need to have a separate page for every kind of service you offer. For instance, if you do paver patios, stone patios, SRWs and also landscape maintenance, then there should be a separate page - with separate SEO for each page - on each of those items. If you don't do this, you're missing the boat and the site will not be nearly as effective.

As for paying someone to do the SEO, be very careful with that. I've found that many guys who are great at building websites are not necessarily that great at SEO. They will say they are. But I'd highly recommend hiring a separate company to do the SEO after the main site is designed and built. But finding a really good SEO person is very tough. Most of them are really not that good at it. You really have to search and find someone who truly understands SEO way better than the rest of the people in his field. Otherwise, you will not get the results you're looking for and your SERP results won't be good. You won't get calls. And you'll think you've wasted all your money.

Test the SEO expert out. What other sites have they done for other businesses? What are the main services that business offers. Let's say they did a job for a local construction company that handles roofing and siding. Do a search for "siding companies in Portland Oregon" or wherever you live. Does that site that this guy did the SEO on come up really high on the first page of Google for that search? What about if you change the search to "siding contractor Portland Oregon" or "Siding Portland Oregon" or "House Siding Portland Oregon" or "licensed siding contractors in Portland Oregon"? Does that same site still come up high every time you do a search like that? Try the same thing but change the word to roofing. Does it still come up with all the different searches related to roofing? If not, then he isn't a very good SEO guy. Move on to another one.

If you don't have a great site that really impresses your potentiality customers (with lots of great photos, I might ad) then the SEO won't matter too much. On the other hand, if you have a phenomenal website but it isn't coming up each time someone does a search for whatever services you sell (and all the different variations of those search terms) then it won't really matter how great your site is. Both are equally important. But it's easier to find a great website designer than it is to really find a great SEO guy.

But if you get both right you will see a HUGE boost to your business. When I got ours right, finally, it propelled sales like nothing we'd ever done. Since I got the site redesigned a few years ago and finally got the SEO dialed in, our sales went from $1mil a year to $4mil. last year. That was from 2009 to 2014. In just 5 years, we quadrupled our business. Most of that due to the leads we get from the website.

recycledsole
01-08-2015, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the post. What should one expect to pay for website design? And for SEO?
Afterwards is there monthly SEO maintenance?

We get about 60-65% of our new work from our website. We get a ton of traffic, calls and contact forms from our website. It transformed our business.

The first most important thing is to have a website that looks better and more professional than most of your competitors. Don't cheap out on the website design. And you really need to have a separate page for every kind of service you offer. For instance, if you do paver patios, stone patios, SRWs and also landscape maintenance, then there should be a separate page - with separate SEO for each page - on each of those items. If you don't do this, you're missing the boat and the site will not be nearly as effective.

As for paying someone to do the SEO, be very careful with that. I've found that many guys who are great at building websites are not necessarily that great at SEO. They will say they are. But I'd highly recommend hiring a separate company to do the SEO after the main site is designed and built. But finding a really good SEO person is very tough. Most of them are really not that good at it. You really have to search and find someone who truly understands SEO way better than the rest of the people in his field. Otherwise, you will not get the results you're looking for and your SERP results won't be good. You won't get calls. And you'll think you've wasted all your money.

Test the SEO expert out. What other sites have they done for other businesses? What are the main services that business offers. Let's say they did a job for a local construction company that handles roofing and siding. Do a search for "siding companies in Portland Oregon" or wherever you live. Does that site that this guy did the SEO on come up really high on the first page of Google for that search? What about if you change the search to "siding contractor Portland Oregon" or "Siding Portland Oregon" or "House Siding Portland Oregon" or "licensed siding contractors in Portland Oregon"? Does that same site still come up high every time you do a search like that? Try the same thing but change the word to roofing. Does it still come up with all the different searches related to roofing? If not, then he isn't a very good SEO guy. Move on to another one.

If you don't have a great site that really impresses your potentiality customers (with lots of great photos, I might ad) then the SEO won't matter too much. On the other hand, if you have a phenomenal website but it isn't coming up each time someone does a search for whatever services you sell (and all the different variations of those search terms) then it won't really matter how great your site is. Both are equally important. But it's easier to find a great website designer than it is to really find a great SEO guy.

But if you get both right you will see a HUGE boost to your business. When I got ours right, finally, it propelled sales like nothing we'd ever done. Since I got the site redesigned a few years ago and finally got the SEO dialed in, our sales went from $1mil a year to $4mil. last year. That was from 2009 to 2014. In just 5 years, we quadrupled our business. Most of that due to the leads we get from the website.

xtreem3d
01-08-2015, 03:20 PM

Jim,
Will your SEO guy work for out of town companies ?
Steve
PS ..I don't know if this is correct but...It would seem to me that a good SEO would be a good guy to help design a site , being as he/she knows what the search engines are looking for ?

xtreem3d
01-08-2015, 06:00 PM
When I google Lewis Landscape & Landscape in Oregon you come up first. There is a small yellow "AD" logo by your listing, what is that?
Steve

alldayrj
01-08-2015, 06:10 PM
Looking up his name and finding him is good but expected. Looking up his services in his area and seeing his name is the goal of seo.

The yellow ones are paid ads through google
Posted via Mobile Device

xtreem3d
01-08-2015, 06:14 PM
Thanks...Are you able to forward the guy/company that does yours? You can PM it to me if you'd like,
Steve

JimLewis
01-08-2015, 06:51 PM
Looking up his name and finding him is good but expected. Looking up his services in his area and seeing his name is the goal of seo.

The yellow ones are paid ads through google
Posted via Mobile Device

Correct. And I'm a big believer in being on both the Paid Ads section as well as the Natural Results. But of the two, being near the top of the natural results is what pays off the most. That's the goal of SEO.

So I just did a search for "landscaping Portland Oregon", which is one of the terms I aim for. You can see the results below. The top 3 results are all ads, indicated by the yellow ad symbol. And my ad is often up there as well. In this case, my ad showed up over to the right. But the first result in the NATURAL RESULTS section is my site, indicated by the red arrow. That's where you want to be. And not just for one key phrase. Ideally, you want to be there for every key phrase and every item you do. Look at my second photo below. There I did a search for "paver patios Portland Oregon." In this case not only did my ad come up in the top section, but my site also came up #1 in the NATURAL RESULTS for this search as well. That's the goal of SEO.

I always say it's like the equivalent of having the biggest ad in the yellow pages, 15 years ago, when people still used them. Back then, whoever had the biggest ad in any given section got like 55% of the calls for that entire section of the yellow pages. Whoever had the second biggest ad got about 20% of the calls, the next ad got like 15%, and all the remaining ads in that section of the yellow pages split up the remaining 10% of the calls. So if you didn't have a big ad, your ROI sucked. Same with SEO. Your goal is to be the #1 result. If not, at least in the top 5. The higher you get, the more calls you're going to get, I can testify to that from personal experience.

I'll get back to you guys on the other questions later this evening when I have more time....

JimLewis
01-09-2015, 02:26 AM
Thanks for the post. What should one expect to pay for website design? And for SEO?
Afterwards is there monthly SEO maintenance?

You bet.

The website design cost can vary quite a bit. The total cost really depends on a lot of things. Like how great you want it to be and how much you can afford to pay and how hard you're willing to search (if you don't have a lot of money). You could hire someone like these guys (http://www.landscapermarketing.com/). They are some of the best website designers I've ever seen. They specialize in creating super unique, professional and impressive websites for landscapers. And if you can afford them, probably be about the best website you could have built in terms of aesthetics and just impressing the hell out of customers. But those guys will charge you $5k to $10k for a site like the ones you see on their page. These guys are the ones who did the cool little graphic with the hand drawing a design on my home page. And I think I paid like $3k or more just for that little thing. But to me, it was worth it. It's what creates that first impression and really helps us stand out from our local competitors. I felt it was money well spent. But I bet a lot of people would have never gone for that.

So you could get a really good designer who is super talented and so forth and spent only $500 or $1000 or so. But you'll have to really search them out to find a really great one for that price. You'd have to look all over sites like Craigslist, eBay, Design Outpost, etc. and find some person who maybe used to work for a firm and finally branched out on their own and really does killer work but for cheap, because they just started. You can find web designers like that who are cheap AND really good. Just takes a lot of time.

So long story short; realistically, I'd expect to pay anywhere in the neighborhood of $1000 to $5000 for a really great multi-page site with a really nice photo gallery app on it.

Now SEO is a different story. First, most of the time it's not just a one-time thing. SEO is a process that takes several months or even years, sometimes. SEO experts charge in all sorts of different ways. You could pay $150 a month, like some here have mentioned. But keep in mind, you're only going to get so much SEO work each month for that price. Let's say the guy's hourly rate is $50 an hour. That's 3 hours of SEO work a month. Not a lot, if you're starting with no SEO at all. If I were paying someone, knowing what I know now, I'd find someone really really good, drill them and make sure they were good, and then give them like $1500 a month for the first two months so they could really afford to spend a lot of time getting every page dialed in just right, building quality and realistic backlinks, making some of the important social links, etc. It all takes a lot of time. Then I'd expect to pay another $150 or so every month for a year or so to continue modifying and improving the SEO.

Once you get your site dialed in so well that you have a lot of #1 search engine results, then you can back off and not do any SEO for a while if you want. But you have to understand that search engine algorithms change several times each year. So what helped your page get to the top in January, may not get you the same results in June of that same year - because Google changed it's algorithm. So if you get your site all dialed in with SEO and then do nothing, your SERPs will slowly go down and down over time. Eventually, you gotta get back on the ball, learn what has changed, and make some changes. This is why some people just pay an SEO guy for a few hours every month - indefinitely.

When I started realizing that I needed to get my website to the top, it was in 2008 in the worst part of the recession. I had just let go all my top people just to save money. Jobs had stopped coming in. Phones weren't ringing. And I had very little money. I did eventually find one or two really good SEO guys (out of a dozen or so bad ones) but the really good one wanted a few thousand down, just as a down-payment. At the time, in the fall/winter of late 2008, I didn't have it. So my only choice was to learn SEO myself. It was winter. I had all this time off until Spring. So I just poured into it all. I read every SEO book I could get my hands on. Spent tons of time on SEO forums. Read every website I could find about it. Learned white hat techniques and black hat techniques and what the difference was. Learned enough to know that it was a bad idea to incorporate black hat techniques that could possibly get you banned or de-listed on Google, et. al. And after reading and learning 50-60 hours a week, for weeks and weeks I started making changes to my own site all on my own. I had no knowledge of how to write HTML code or anything. But it turns out it's pretty easy to figure out. Especially when you're just editing the text and features on the page. I figured out how to access each page on my site, open that page in an editor, edit the page, upload it back to my site and all that. So I started trying out different techniques.

Once I got all the on-page SEO stuff dialed in on every single page on my site that was important to me, then I started doing off-page work. There's a ton of off-site SEO stuff that really helps too. But I eventually learned what worked and what didn't. I was constantly testing my SERPs and tracking them to see what worked and what didn't. Usually takes only 2-3 days to see if a SEO technique has helped you in SERPs.

Anyway, long story short, I never hired anyone. I just did all my SEO myself. Hundreds of hours spent learning it all but it wasn't that hard. Just took time. And I had plenty of time, since it was winter and we were in a recession.

It took me about 1 year of learning and implementing different techniques before we really started to get a ton of #1 results for different search terms. I track 120 different search terms and of those search terms we got to the #1 position for over 65 of them. And in the top 5 for all the rest. From that time on we've been so busy with calls and leads for most of the year that I didn't really have to do much more SEO after that.

The following winter I worked on it some more and dialed a few more things in. But that next spring we were again so slammed that I just had no more free time to work on SEO at all. That was spring 2010. And since then I haven't done very much SEO work. My SERPs have slipped a little for some of our phrases. But we've grown so much and still get so many leads that it just doesn't matter too much anymore. One day I'll get back into it and revamp the site and the SEO stuff once again. But I haven't really needed to do a whole lot in the last 4 years. And we're still getting amazing search engine results for the most part.

Hope that answers your questions and sorry for the long, long post. But there's just no quick way to explain some of this stuff.

JimLewis
01-09-2015, 02:41 AM
Thanks...Are you able to forward the guy/company that does yours? You can PM it to me if you'd like,
Steve

Unfortunately, I cannot. As I was just explaining, I don't have a guy. I've done all the SEO myself. I wish I did have someone really good I could refer you to. All I can tell you is this; 9 out of 10 of the supposed "SEO Experts" are crap. So be very careful choosing one who will really get you results. Getting your site to come up in the top 10 for only a couple of terms isn't necessarily going to make the phone ring off the hook. But finding someone who knows how to get you in the #1 or #2 or #3 position for all sorts of different terms, that definitely will. Just most of them really aren't quite THAT good.

If you want to come to Oregon and spend 2-3 hours showing you what I know and what I've done and how it's worked, share my tracking methods with you, etc. I'm happy to do that on a consulting basis ($$$). I've done that for a number of owners of different companies, many of them outside our industry. I just don't do it for local landscapers. Otherwise, I'm happy to do the consulting for landscapers and LCOs in other states or other kinds of business owners in my state. Not something I do a lot of. I've never advertised for it. It's not a business I'm trying to build. It just started from people hearing about me and the results I've gotten with SEO and have asked me if they could hire me to show them what I've done. So it turned out to be something I could make a few bones out once in a while. Otherwise, you can learn it on your own or find a really good SEO guy and hire him. But I'd plan on spending some good money the first few months if you can find a really good SEO guy.

xtreem3d
01-09-2015, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the response Jim. My big problem is how to know a good SEO guy in the first place. I am guessing (like you may have said) get sites he's done then search them to see where they come up. Although if the clients don't spend a ton with him , the results may be misleading because he hasn't put a lot of work into them.
Steve

xtreem3d
01-09-2015, 09:35 AM
stuff like this doesn't make it any easier :cry:
http://searchengineland.com/seo-companies-fined-over-fake-reviews-172526

DVS Hardscaper
01-09-2015, 10:12 AM
Great pictures of finished jobs are a must. Your website is your online menu. The pictures must be of your work, good angles of photography with wide angle lens. Do not shoot a pic of a patio but have the whole 10,000 sf house in the pic, that's a pic of your clients house, not your patio.

When I had my hardscape website made, I purposely focused on making it a photo gallery. Last I counted - I have over 121 photos of our work. The feedback from prospective clients was "you're the only one with a lot of pictures and they're good pictures". (Which is funny as I know there are some really bad pics, just goes to show that the target audience doesn't know a bad pic when they see one).

Refrain from writing on your website how you strive for quality. Who doesn't??

I don't push our hardscape services to the public anymore, I have purposely let our website slide to the back. But - when I did push our Hardscape services - 80% of our work came from my website. I did my own SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION, never did I pay anyone. No search engine guy/gal knows my business like me. And I've always thought that the local contractirs that did pay people to do their seo - we're probably saying "see this website (meaning mine) I want to rank above him". A growing biz without a working website is like a painter without a ladder.

I'm also a believer in Google Adwords. Many people do not have an understanding of Google Adwords - therefore they're not getting good results. I would love to share what I know about google Adwords, but being this is the World Wide Web, I must draw the line with what I share :)

Businesses do grow (usually). So im not so sure Jim is being wise when he is attributing his growth to the Internet. So he means that before Al Gore invented the Internet that all businesses remained stagnant. After you have a million dollars of work on the ground - the referrals will flow in steadily.
Posted via Mobile Device

headz77
01-09-2015, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the response Jim. My big problem is how to know a good SEO guy in the first place.
Steve

Jim knows what he is talking about. We are in the same market, I track the SERPS at least as close as Jim, and his site performs very well.

Jim encouraged me to look into DIY SEO a couple of years ago. I jumped into it over a winter, much like her described. I redesigned out site, got the on site SEO correct, and continue to do a bunch of things to rank well. We now get about 90% of our work from the site and have really grown the last 3 years- after years of stagnation.

I know of 3-4 SEOs that I would trust w/ my money. Anyone can PM me if they want.
Posted via Mobile Device

JimLewis
01-09-2015, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the response Jim. My big problem is how to know a good SEO guy in the first place. I am guessing (like you may have said) get sites he's done then search them to see where they come up. Although if the clients don't spend a ton with him , the results may be misleading because he hasn't put a lot of work into them.
Steve

I fully understand the problem. I was in the same position in the beginning. I couldn't really tell a good SEO guy from a bad one. But as I had long discussions with many of them, I began to be able to learn a lot and that helped me distinguish the differences. If they are good salesman, they will be able to go to great length at what makes them better at SEO then their competitors. It's the same with anything. I don't know much about rebuilding engines. But when I needed a new engine for my truck I talked to several local engine rebuilders and asked what they did during the rebuild process. Some guys just had basic descriptions while others said stuff like, "Well, most companies rebuild the engine and replace the bearings, rings, valves and seals. While that's good. It still leaves you with many worn parts. Our remanufactured engines take it a step further. All of the major components are machined, bored, welded, planed and polished. Crankshaft, block and head castings are all precisely checked to guarantee perfect fit. We install entirely new factory fresh pistons, rings, bearings, timing components, gaskets, seals, bushings, lifters, oil pump and more." Well, I can't tell you exactly what all that stuff means. But I'll tell you one thing, that sales guy sounds like they sell some really nice engines. Because that's a way more detailed explaination and I could at least sort of understand what he was talking about. In the same way, even though some of the terminology is foreign to you, you can start to be able to tell difference between different SEO guys.

Another good way is check THEIR SEO results. If they are a Portland based SEO company try typing in "Portland Oregon SEO companies". How high does their site come up? If they're any good, it should come up really high!

xtreem3d
01-09-2015, 01:54 PM
I fully understand the problem. I was in the same position in the beginning. I couldn't really tell a good SEO guy from a bad one. But as I had long discussions with many of them, I began to be able to learn a lot and that helped me distinguish the differences. If they are good salesman, they will be able to go to great length at what makes them better at SEO then their competitors. It's the same with anything. I don't know much about rebuilding engines. But when I needed a new engine for my truck I talked to several local engine rebuilders and asked what they did during the rebuild process. Some guys just had basic descriptions while others said stuff like, "Well, most companies rebuild the engine and replace the bearings, rings, valves and seals. While that's good. It still leaves you with many worn parts. Our remanufactured engines take it a step further. All of the major components are machined, bored, welded, planed and polished. Crankshaft, block and head castings are all precisely checked to guarantee perfect fit. We install entirely new factory fresh pistons, rings, bearings, timing components, gaskets, seals, bushings, lifters, oil pump and more." Well, I can't tell you exactly what all that stuff means. But I'll tell you one thing, that sales guy sounds like they sell some really nice engines. Because that's a way more detailed explaination and I could at least sort of understand what he was talking about. In the same way, even though some of the terminology is foreign to you, you can start to be able to tell difference between different SEO guys.

Another good way is check THEIR SEO results. If they are a Portland based SEO company try typing in "Portland Oregon SEO companies". How high does their site come up? If they're any good, it should come up really high!

You must have read my mind..i just googled some and found one that sounds good, just placed a call to discuss.
Steve

DVS Hardscaper
01-09-2015, 04:33 PM
This is like hiring a dentist or lawyer. No one knows what to look for when hiring a dentist or lawyer. So they just open the trustee yellow pages and pick one from the list.

I'm not so sure that picking a SEO person based on their site popping up at top is the correct way! LOL
They may be busy tending to their clients that they don't have time to deal with their own site. Most hardscaper's residences are reflective of this!

Knowing the in's and out's for google's criteria is important (as it constantly changes), that's where an expert is of importance. See, the hardscape industry has a LINGO. The SEO person may be well versed at one industry's lingo, but maybe not so well versed for other industry's. This is why I handled my own search engine optimizing.

headz77
01-09-2015, 04:43 PM
I'm not so sure that picking a SEO person based on their site popping up at top is the correct way! LOL
They may be busy tending to their clients that they don't have time to deal with their own site. Most hardscaper's residences are reflective of this!

I agree. Portland has some of the local SEO leaders based here- but they don't show up on page 1. (Like this guy for example: http://www.davidmihm.com/ )They have reputations that bring them all the work they need. And a certain % of page 1 results are their by blackhat means- and won't be there for long. It's not just ranking, it's HOW you rank.

Most really good local SEO guys go way beyond just ranking anyways. They will help you get more reviews, show you how to become an authority in your area, and help your website convert the kinds of clients you want. It's a bunch of things that can lead to a sustainable stream of highly qualified leads.

xtreem3d
01-09-2015, 06:24 PM
I certainly understand what the 2 posts above me are saying but I have to at least get started somewhere....Headz..thanks for the PM
Steve