PDA

View Full Version : Good tires for all weather performance on a truck

DA Quality Lawn & YS
09-27-2012, 01:56 AM
Guys,

I need to replace my tires on my Dodge Dakota. 265-70-16's.
I want to inquire what tires y'all run on your trucks and what might be a good mid-priced option to go with.

I pull a 7x14 enclosed with my truck during the growing season. I also do snowblowing in the winter, but my truck is not a plow truck I run my snowblower in the truck bed to do residential blowing. So what I am saying is I need some decent winter traction in addition to warm season traction. All purpose tire.

Any suggestions?
Right now I am considering (but will look at others):
Cooper AT3
General Grabber HTS

I have gotten quotes just north of $600 installed for these two tires (Coopers slightly more than the Generals). I would prefer not to go too much over this total price.

Thx

Mark Oomkes
09-27-2012, 07:21 AM
I bought some of the Cooper AT3s for my son's Grand Cherokee. I am going to give them a try on one of my 350's next. Looks like a very nice tread pattern for year round, despite having dedicated snow tires for them, I still like to have decent tread for mud and rain.

Hoping they are a cheaper alternative to BFG's.

jbturf
10-06-2012, 07:35 PM
ive been happy with michelins on many of my trucks

long wearing

kawakx125
10-06-2012, 08:07 PM
i've had good luck with nitto terra grapplers

tinkerlawn
10-06-2012, 08:48 PM
I currently run the cooper at/3 that came with my truck and haven't had any problems. Im also running some michelin at/2's on another truck and have been extremely satisfied with they way they are wearing. Though I did not purchase from them, I found a ton of helpful information on tirerack.com You can see what others are saying that have the same model truck as yours, see what specific tires they are running, and what kind of comments they have about them.

Mr.LaVere
02-07-2013, 03:31 PM
Cooper AT/3 are great! Also try discounttiredirect.com they offer a Cooper ATP for slightly cheaper. It's a great tire that Cooper makes specifically for discounttirediect.com.

These will be my next purchase for the 2013 mowing season.

Raymond S.
02-07-2013, 03:41 PM
Bridgestone Revo 2. My wife works at TireRack and they are highly recommended. Call and talk to a salesman. Regardless of how little or how big of a sale they will fill your ears with knowledge. Great people.

Mr.LaVere
02-07-2013, 04:27 PM
The Revo 2's are great tires! But they do cost quite a bit more than the Coopers and most other brands. Hankook ATM's are another good tire for this industry. IMO

jones68
02-07-2013, 04:48 PM
the first thing i do when i get a truck is get online and buy a set of used rims. usually from ebay i can find a guy selling his stock rims because he upgraded to some fancy wheel. i then run an all terrain tire on one set and a good snow/mud tire on the other. i have been having great luck with mastercraft tires. i run the courser LTR in the summer and the courser MT in the winter. great tires great price!!

Raymond S.
02-07-2013, 04:54 PM
Coopers are great also. Had them on two trucks. They are a very soft tire though and wear fast if you're pulling a trailer very often or running them in a torquey diesel truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Valk
02-07-2013, 05:26 PM
If you're going from a standard (truck) all-season radial to an A/T, expect a small reduction in MPGs. A/Ts are heavier/beefier.

Also, low rolling resistance (LRR) tires may improve MPGs...but, they will also increase required braking distances and possibly reduce handling capabilities - mandating the driver to even further anticipate daily issues on the road.

Mr.LaVere
02-07-2013, 05:39 PM
Valk makes a good point. With a diesel truck like mine the MPG difference will be less noticeable, but still present. My truck gets 16-17 in town empty and 15-16 around town doing work with my 16' trailer. I currently am running BFG ATs and plan to go up to 17" wheels and switch to Cooper AT/3's or their ATP's which are only offered by Dicount tire direct.com.

Potomac Lawns Inc.
04-01-2013, 07:50 PM
I have had the following

Michelins highway tread nice smooth quite ride lasted about 65k expensive

Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs Awesome snow tire mpg down just a bit 35k expensive for how long they last

General AT2 so far so good think its an in between from the above price average

tire size was 265 75 16E on a Chevy Duramax with lots of towing

PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC
04-09-2013, 01:48 AM
I have the Michelin x lt tires 245/70 r16 70+ mph jaunts for an hour +,
offroading in sand/mud they do alright and off course hauling .
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/michelin-x-radial-lt2-p245-70r16-109t/prod1640627.ip

precision8m
04-09-2013, 09:04 AM
I am also running the BFG A/T's on my dodge and love them. Quiet on road, with great hold off road. I can still get good mileage, but I had 35 M/T's on before.